Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat May 11 - May 17

We had dinner outside last night for Boston's first summer-like day. It's so easy to be made happy by good weather.

Blueberries are arriving in our supermarket in abundance - thanks to Florida and Georgia growers. All the hype about their health benefits make it doubly easy to overindulge. I'm a fan.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:50 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:59 AM   #3  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Wow Bill, it sure is early in the day to be awake and online :>)
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I knocked off another MOOC - The Addicted Brain. Interesting. I could make the information in the course work two ways - that I was doomed from childhood or that I am a success story by overcoming many factors that made me vulnerable to addiction very early on.

Think I'll take door #2.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Congrats, Dagmar! Door 2 sounds a much better choice.

You're one of two people I know who've done a MOOC. (The other person did one about addiction or possibly depression. He thought it was very good, especially hanging out with professionals in the field who were updating their skills.) I told the SO you'd enjoyed the Stones one when he was thinking about doing one about Korea. I think he's doing it currently.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

It's been unseasonably cool here for the past few days. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! Highs in the 80's are more comfortable than the 100's.

It was nice having DS home for the weekend. Sorry to see him go and wonder when he'll return. There is a possibility he'll spend more time this summer at the university. His apartment is paid for through August or September and his best friend is going to use it for at least a month while he goes to summer school (at a different university, but it's closer than living at home--he cannot afford to stay at his dorm in the summer).

Next Saturday we'll be going to DD's graduation from grad school. DS will come to that, so we'll see him there. I had bought the new Samsung phone for DD's present but was told last week that it won't ship now until next Monday so I had to print a photo of it to give to her instead.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I have the day off, tra la la, tra la la, so of course, I've overscheduled it, planning a trip to the nail salon, my six-month check-in with my orthopedic surgeon, a physical therapy session, a movie and then my co-op's annual meeting and officer election.

Still at the back of everything, there looms the drama at the office, to which I must return tomorrow. That's what I'm trying to keep myself too busy to think about.

I recommend the last Maysles documentary, "Iris," about an extraordinary woman now in her 90s and how she turns herself into a sort of walking art object, and also her longtime marriage to her husband, who's now 100 years old. That brightened up my overcast, humid Sunday.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Congrats, Dagmar! Door 2 sounds a much better choice.

You're one of two people I know who've done a MOOC. (The other person did one about addiction or possibly depression. He thought it was very good, especially hanging out with professionals in the field who were updating their skills.) I told the SO you'd enjoyed the Stones one when he was thinking about doing one about Korea. I think he's doing it currently.
I have done 5 so far and will be starting my sixth - "Emotions - A Philosophical Introduction" - next weekend. The instructor for that one seems very "off the wall" and I think I'm going to like him.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Dagmar-- what does MOOC stand for? My sleep deprived (thank you Ellie) and lack of coffee thus far today can't figure out the acronym.

Bill-- love blueberries! LOVE when berries are more in season and cheaper to buy too!

Allison-- congrats to your dd! Does she have a job lined up, future plans?

Saef-- I hope you ENJOY at least part of your day off! I always over schedule my days off too. I'm still debating taking a few off before school ends...

I thoroughly enjoyed Mother's Day weekend (spent with dh) and my weight is way up as a result. So much for being .2 under my redline.... Dh leaves today and comes home Thursday late.

We took Ellie to the vet Saturday. He wants to wait until tomorrow to do her shots hoping her diarrhea improves. She had gained over 2 pounds in 5 days so she must be keeping some of the food in! He put her on flagyl which is causing mild improvement but still nothing near normal. We will get the results back from the sample today to see if there is anything else going on (old vet found nothing but I asked new vet to retest). She got her microchip and was very brave about that. I've found out where she is NOT brave. I've been walking her and Dewey-- just on my block around the culdesac-- that alone can take us 20 minutes-- stopping to sniff, play, etc-- she froze when she saw the mailman and I thought maybe it was just the mailman-- yesterday she froze again when she saw an elderly couple leave their house... so I need to expose her to more people without exposing her to too much! That reminds me that I need to check into puppy classes-- that will get her exposure to people and puppies!

Happy Monday to everyone else! Here's to a great week!!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Half a pound of blueberries = 130 calories. I dare you. You really can't "overindulge" from a weight-gain point of view.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:48 AM   #11  

I had to look up MOOC too, don't really know how they work logistically at this point, but sounds interesting. I do continuing ed videos online, Medscape offers some for nurses though I can't say they are fabulous over-all. I do learn stuff though.

Michelle, I also bumped up after a Mother's day binge at Chinese Take-Out. But I had a great time and focused on produce as much as possible. I didn't bump up as much as I expected. We'll see what tomorrow brings! Good job thinking of socializing Ellie early. What breed is she, I forget.

Saef-A day off! So glad you got it. I think I'm deserving one of those soon.

Bill-we've had a number of warm days already here in Oregon. My dad ran the marathon those weeks ago the cold sounded brutal!

Today:
B-oats with blueberries!!!
S-Orange and cheese
L-tacos at the taco shop-mmmmm.
S-smoothie
D-the illusive stir fry that never happens
Ds-ice cream sundae. When I don't lose any wt this month, feel free to remind me of this daily indulgence!

I have a very busy and long work day ahead of me today. I'm not looking forward to having to do all that, but the part I dread most is just getting off the computer and getting dressed and ready to walk out the door. Once I'm there, the job kind of does itself at this point. So much different than when I started 5 yrs ago!
Georgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Allison-- congrats to your dd! Does she have a job lined up, future plans?
No job that I am aware of. She's done some work through the grad school, but I really don't know what that paid. And future plans? How does four more years to get her PHD sound? Yep, those are her plans. I don't even want to think what her student loan balance will be at the end of that.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #13  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Michelle, even if the recheck fecal is negative, you might consider repeating her deworming for coccidia, unless you've done that already. My experience has been that breeders tends to excessively deworm for nematodes but insufficiently treat for coccidia. Just a thought -
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #14  

Georgette-- if the stir fry isn't happening, what are you having for dinners??
Ellie is a Doberman (red).

JZJ-- the flagyl doesn't treat coccidia does it? That's all she is on for now.

Allison-- I figured you might say that. My girls have a ton of student debt and since they are both teachers (or will be), they'll be paying it off for a LONG time.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #15  

JZJ-- called the vet and she has giardia. I'm picking up a second medication so hopefully this will knock it out. Do you know how contagious it would be to my other dog?