Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default New Year's Goals 2015

I don't remember where our last year's thread was for this, but I figured it might be nice to have one.

This year I am committing to:
- lose the remaining baby weight and get back to 135
- regain my previous physical fitness, which I'll define for now as being able to run a 5k provided that my plantar fasciitis doesn't flare up
- eat more vegetables
- take care of medical issues that have been pushed aside for too long, including making appointments with my dermatologist and rheumatologist that are a year overdue, and finding a new primary care physician since my last one retired
- get over my mommy fears and allow someone other than DH and myself to watch my kids, unsupervised, while they're awake and/or let a babysitter put them to bed so DH and I can have some time off
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I looked back over some of my own resolution posts, and there are a few gems that need to carry over.
* Continue with stress management. The phrase "Not my circus, not my monkeys" turned out to be a real winner for me in 2014.
* Return to the personally effective strategy of 2/3 portions and get back into the 140's
* Return to weighing daily and using weekly averages to track, starting on Jan 4 (mostly because of the way my planner is laid out).
* Declutter and organize - "own nothing that you do not find to be beautiful or know to be useful". LET IT GO!
* Move more. A lot more. My body is capable of some amazing things and this year, I want to unlock that potential.
* Read a nonfiction book each month.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

My goals are:

- use my mind more - less junk TV and more quality viewing and reading
- get back to the chiro and to the optometrist and all the other medical/dental stuff that needs doing and get it done
- refrain from drinking ANY alcohol for the year (got a good start on that one already).
- get Trixie trained so that she listens to me 90 % of the time (got started on that too)

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

A lot of my resolutions are physical:

- Relearn how to walk well enough to walk in a full 5K
- Regain upper body strength to do at least one unassisted pullup
- Get back to squatting 115 lbs and deadlifting 145 lbs by year-end 2015

Others are not:

- Work six weekends or fewer during 2015
- Go downtown at least once every three weeks
- Bed by 9:30 PM six days a week
- Maximum 2 hrs online after working hours on weekdays
- Review Jon Kabat-Zinn meditation recordings and books by July 2015
- Check in with three different friends each week

Last edited by saef; 01-02-2015 at 11:23 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'll join in with some goals:

- To weigh less at the end of 2015 than at the beginning. (Portion control, mindful eating, daily exercise)
- To clear out all those bulging files and stacks of paper and books that no longer serve me. I retired from one business in 2014, and much stuff can go. Also my closets need clearing of unwearable items that I'm saving for sentimental reasons.
- To stop wasting so much time on the computer and use the extra time wisely. Sitting at the computer is a recipe for weight gain.
- To revise my "daily schedule" so that it provides guidance without being a straight jacket.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #6  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

I'll borrow a few from others, then add my own:

1. (From JayEll): "To weigh less at the end of 2015 than at the beginning. (Portion control, mindful eating, daily exercise)".

2. (From Saef): "Regain upper body strength to do at least one unassisted pullup".

3. Go to bootcamp class two nights a week (I am paying for these two sessions each week; I either have to quit or go regularly from now on).

4. Plan plan plan plan plan. I will not let long work days and work stress be my reason/excuse for unhealthy eating, both at work and at home. I know that if I have healthy food prepared, I'll eat it willingly. So, to make that happen.

5. Work hard, but be forgiving to myself. This will be a rough quarter coming up, with teaching a full lecture/lab class (by myself) on top of my research and diagnostic labs, and a book chapter due soon and two papers overdue. Things will get hectic, and something is sure to be done late/wrong/badly. The perfect is the enemy of the good, yes?

I saw a Guardian article that had a good resolution on this topic:
"Resolve to cut everyone a massive amount of slack, including yourself. That’s the overarching conclusion of social psychology: we’re all staggeringly imperfect organisms, prone to making bad decisions when stress, busyness or poverty robs us of “cognitive bandwidth”. We habitually excuse our own bad behaviour as the result of special circumstances, while blaming others’ misdemeanours on deep-down nastiness. Or we torment ourselves with how much more accomplished everyone else is, when really it’s just that we lack access to their inner monologues of self-doubt. So: ease up."
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Thinking about my goals and resolutions today...

1. To weigh less at the end of 2015 than the beginning (love this one for maintainers!).
2. 250 bikram yoga classes minimum
3. 100 other workouts, focusing on strength and variety.
4. Be flexible and less rigid if a social event or unplanned event comes up.
5. Be a good friend
6. Spend more time with family
7. Practice kindness more
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #8  

Great resolutions all!
I had a scare on January 1: it felt like my plantar fasciitis was coming back. I suffered with it for three years, and weight/sugar are contributing factors. So my resolution to lose weight and get back into the lower end of my range is "inspired" by this physical condition like a cop standing around the corner waiting to arrest me if I fail.
My goal, then, is to get down to 190 and stay there until November, and NEVER see 200 pounds again!
And the kindness and self-forgiving thing while I'm at it. I'd rather this be a healthy ego-driven goal than one driven by my superego.
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

There are some inspiring goals/resolutions on here! For my own:

- Reinstate regular physical activity - starting w/ yoga this week
- Make a big crock pot meal once a week so I have food to take for lunches
- stay in touch with friends better - connect with at least one person per week

and I have another to add after looking at some of yours:
- taking care of my health - I'm long overdue for a women's health appt and that's important!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote