Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #1  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Default Fatigue/Exhaustion

I have health issues, primarily a connective tissue disorder. One of the more difficult aspects of dealing with it is the fatigue. I went to bed at 10 last night, which is a little later than normal for me (9 is my normal.), but I slept until 530am (normal for me). That is 7.5 hours of sleep, yet I get up exhausted. In fact by 830/9ish I fell back asleep until 1.

Does anyone have any "this worked for me" suggestions for dealing with chronic fatigue/exhaustion? I've tried magnesium, I can't say it did a whole lot. I hate to resort to Adderall, which is what my physician has suggested.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Have you been checked for sleep apnea?
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #3  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Yes
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #4  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Is it EDS, by chance? Looking into adrenal fatigue and seeing if that rings true for you might be an option. If so, something like Adderall might help in the short term, but could be devastating longer term (such a heavy stimulant definitely taxes the system.)

Did you used to feel fine on 7.5 hours sleep? When did that change - and does it possibly overlap with periods of calorie restriction? What have you tried so far? How much caffeine do you consume, and when's your cut-off time?

The #1 thing that's worked for me over the almost 20 years of having CFS has been to zealously prioritize my sleep time and quality. (... which is a lot easier said than done, ugh.) Bedtime pills of melatonin and l-theanine, combined with magnesium powder dissolved in water. Dark room, cold enough temperature. No bright lights before bed (installed f.lux on my computer, have nerd-y orange safety glasses if I'm watching tv). And on and on, kind of ridiculous - these don't give me 100% chance of decent sleep, but each little piece makes it at least more likely than not. I too can feel almost punch-drunk all-nighter exhausted from getting "only" 7.5 hours of sleep, even if it's sound - which is really hard to get others to understand sometimes! So I empathize.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

I have CFS and insomnia along with various other health problems. I find prioritizing sleep really important, even when I was working full time and in grad school I always got 8-9 hours a night. I also use a really comfy sleep mask and to block out lights and run a fan so I stay cool. I also find exercising everyday and taking a short afternoon nap (like 30-40 minutes) if I need to helpful.
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote