Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #1  
BELIEVE

S/C/G: 215/---/145

Height: 5'8

Talking Determined To Look Good In My Own Skin

Title says it all, I'm a bigger girl at the moment but I still want to look
good for my first day of University. Guess I'm just looking to see if anyone has any suggestions regarding some good attire to buy that looks nice but won't draw too much attention. I've never been one to buy too many things from American Eagle either so suggestions for places like Target and JCP will do. Usually for school I favor clothing that consists of jeans and a decent top as I favor comfort and I make my own style with my accessories. So any recommendations for jeans? Perhaps types or brand names that tend to have a slimming effect or at least that draw less attention? I know enough to avoid things like skinny jeans and low rise for now but that's about it. I often go for Levi's but I'm open to anything. Shirts are more of a hit and miss so I just tend to go with dark colors and whatever looks best. Anyway thats the best description I can give so if anyone has any advice or suggestions I'd appreciate it

Last edited by KillerBee; 08-13-2013 at 01:55 AM.
KillerBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #2  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Everyone should avoid skinny jeans, no matter what you weigh. Seriously, it makes you look like a sno-cone. The visual effect of making your ankles so "slim" is that your heiny looks GINORMOUS in comparison. Not a good look Haha!

You know what I think is almost universally flattering though? A dark dark blue pair of straight legged jeans (straight, NOT tapered), some sort of thin tank or undershirt, with a nice structured cotton type button shirt that is cut for a woman over it. (Long or short sleeve, depending on your weather.)
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiKai View Post
Everyone should avoid skinny jeans, no matter what you weigh. Seriously, it makes you look like a sno-cone. The visual effect of making your ankles so "slim" is that your heiny looks GINORMOUS in comparison. Not a good look Haha!
I disagree! I love the look of skinny jeans, but not usually with flats, usually with boots like

Either way, we can agree to disagree!

You probably want to be pretty casual, so I think a dark wash trouser (straight-legged) jean like these with a cute top is a great look. Plus, you want to wear shoes that are semi comfortable if you're walking around a large campus, so probably flats - maybe something bright. I love to wear really plain clothes, but bright accessories like a necklace or nontraditional colored shoes.

I have to say, I'm loving the peplum tops. I think they're universally flattering because they have so much structure on the midsection.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #4  
Almost there!

S/C/G: 212/163.8/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
I have to disagree, I look really good in them. It really depends on your shape.

And to the OP, yes, you can look great no matter what size you are. The right styles of clothing will compliment you.

Last edited by Stars; 08-13-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

It took a while for me to accept skinny jeans for big girls. But I kept seeing all these other plus size ladies rockin' them and eventually decided to get a pair a couple years back. Now, I prefer skinny jeans! I like to pair them with a loose top usually.

I have a top similar to this one that I got at TJ Maxx which looks good with skinnies: http://www.target.com/p/pure-energy-...lot=large_1_21

I also have one from Target that is a lot like this one in black (but not the exact one). It's really simple but looks great with skinnies and a long necklace (can be dressed up with heels, or casual with flat sandals). http://www.target.com/p/merona-women...Slot=large_2_8

These are my new fav pants http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Bottoms...nny-575536.jsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post

I have to say, I'm loving the peplum tops. I think they're universally flattering because they have so much structure on the midsection.
I wouldn't go as far as universal. I love the look, but can't find any that fit. I'm not small chested, but if they fit my chest, it's too tight in the belly. If it's big enough for my belly, it's gaping in the chest. Also a lot of them are too short for me. In theory, they are universal. Finding a good one for whatever my body type is, has proven quite the task.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 08-13-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #6  
Aloha nui loa

I've yet to see anyone look good in skinnies, to me. I don't like the look at all. Even "supermodels." To each their own. Plus they come with health issues. Not advisable IMO.

Last edited by MauiKai; 08-13-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Quote:
I've yet to see anyone look good in skinnies, to me. I don't like the look at all. Even "supermodels." To each their own. Plus they come with health issues. Not advisable IMO.
Health issues from jeans?

ETO- googled it. Sounds like a buying pants that don't fit problem to me. My jeans aren't that tight by a long shot.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 08-13-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #8  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Buy some basics, but save some $$ for later. After you see what the other students are wearing, you may want to go shopping! If I remember right, most students didn't put much effort into their fashion... jeans/shorts and t-shirts were the norm in my day. But, I agree with concentrating on accessories, because as you shrink, you can still wear those! Try thrift stores, too... You can find new or nearly new clothes for great prices!

I also read today that H&M has launched their new plus size line online. Check it out. Good prices, and a hip look.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #9  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Make sure whatever you buy fits properly. That is the number one thing that can either make or break the outfit. Something too small will be noticeable and make you look bigger than you are.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #10  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

-

Last edited by sontaikle; 07-12-2020 at 06:57 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #11  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I love my skinny jeans and so does my DH. Guess that's all that matters to me. lol

If I feel good then I'm pleased with myself. I typically have a pop of color somewhere in my outfit. I like V-necks and avoid scoop necks. Heels to add length to my legs. I also play up my high waist!
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #12  

Height: 6-1.5

I'm getting skinny jeans once I get rid of the muffin top. I like that look above with the boots, and loose sweaters tops lots of ruffles, and accessories. With the tops, I would stick with a layered look that can be mixed and matched-- for instance stay within a certain color range. I buy nearly everything in greens, blues, and golds, because those colors go best with my hair/complexion. I never wear pinks or reds but other people can.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #13  
Aloha nui loa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
It's not just skinny jeans--any jeans too tight can cause health issues.
This is true, it's just the skinny jeans are more known for causing issues.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #14  
BELIEVE

S/C/G: 215/---/145

Alright, thanks guys! Don't worry, I have zero intentions to go skinny jean shopping. Maybe once I reach my goal weight, but never in a million years would I go now. I think sticking to some standard straight jeans sounds like a good idea for now. When winter comes around I can wear some nice boots and get a few decent jackets, but for now I'll just have to go by what looks the least revealing top wise. Again, I know better than to wear anything skin tight. I have a bit in the stomach to lose, but most of my mass is in my lower half/love handles so jeans were my biggest concern. But at least I have a few ideas now so thanks again!
KillerBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #15  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I started wearing skinny jeans when I got around a size 16 - they were great to have on the way down - as the jeans got looser, the shirts I wore them with got more fitted. That way I could stretch out the length of time they stayed in my wardrobe. Last fall I finally fit in tall boots, and I love skinnies tucked in, or with flats and sandals too. I'd suggest at least trying them on.

I second the trouser jeans suggestion. They're just that little bit dressier than jeans, but not stuffy. I've gotten nice ones at JC Penney, Old Navy, and Kohl's. if you get the dark ones at Old Navy, wash them about 6 times before you wear them, or you'll have blue legs!

I like a woven cotton shirt with jeans - again just a bit more put together than tshirt & jeans.

I'd say get 1 pair of jeans you love, 2 tops you feel great in, and then check out what everyone else on campus is wearing to see what appeals to you.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote