Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #1  
Sherry, Senior Member

S/C/G: 194/172/158

Height: 5'-7

Default The Diet Cure

Hello ladies, I was just wondering if anyone has read this book by Julia Ross and followed her plan? I've been following it and it's been amazing and I have had great success. Anyone else have good results?
skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #2  
13 pds in 7 days!

S/C/G: 228/215/145

Height: 5'5" WOE Atkins

Is that the book that advises on certain supplements? I cannot remember which supps...but the title sounds familiar
franciejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #3  
Maintenance Member

S/C/G: 211/191/175

Height: 5'5

Yes! I bought it finally and am reading it...haven't tried anything yet, but learning at the moment. Details! How is it going for you???
Tamikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #4  
Sherry, Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciejones View Post
Is that the book that advises on certain supplements? I cannot remember which supps...but the title sounds familiar
You take basic supplements:
Multi vitamin
vitamin c
Magnesium/calcium
fish oil

then you take additional supplements for like 12 wks then start weening off of them. I only had to take L-glutamine, you take a questionaire of 8 steps and you follow the steps that pertain to your answers. I only had to do one step.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #5  
Sherry, Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamikl View Post
Yes! I bought it finally and am reading it...haven't tried anything yet, but learning at the moment. Details! How is it going for you???
I'm on week three starting today and i have no cravings for sweets or carbs which was my weekness, but i have energy, i don't worry about food 24/7, i feel free! No more dieting, i do 1450 calories a day and eat healthy, protein, low carb vegetables, fat and once a day i do a high carb vegetable or a multi grain 45 calorie bread. I basically shows you how to stop dieting and get your body back into balance with nutrients. But what is so great i can eat a small bowl of ice cream and not want to eat the whole container because i know i don't have to. It's amazing. All the supplements you can buy at walmart, cvs, walgreens or gnc health store, the only thing i bought online was the True Balance multivitamin. Let me know what you think after you read her book, it all makes since.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #6  
Not giving up!

S/C/G: 123.5/no scale/happy & healthy

Height: 5'8"

I bought the book and am definitely intrigued. The idea that my food addiction stems from depleted brain chemistry caused by low-calorie dieting... Wow. Makes sense the way she describes it. On the one hand I'm cringing at what I've done to my body, but on the other hand I'm hopeful that it can be repaired. Seems to good to be true, but the idea that you should be able to wean off all the supplements in a year or less lends credibility that she really is trying to help you re-build your brain chemistry so you can live normally, and not just trying to sell you on another diet plan.

The dietary advice in the book actually lines up quite a bit with the menus at MRC. The huge and important difference is the extremely limited amounts, especially of fat and overall calories on MRC. But that's what gets the quick results of course. How many of us would have signed up to lose thirty pounds in one year? Thirty pounds in one month is much more exciting. For those of you familiar with Atkins, I think she says she goes along pretty much 100% with those dietary guidelines, the only difference being adding the amino acid therapy to control the cravings so that you can make Atkins a true lifestyle and not something you eventually quit to indulge the cravings.

Oh, one thing is she does talk a lot about needing to re-define our idea of what a healthy body weight/image is and recommends looking for inspiration from what would have been considered normal before 1970.

Last edited by Going4Fit; 05-16-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Going4Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #7  
Sherry, Senior Member

Going4fit:

You truly expressed everything pretty much in the book, I've now been following her plan for 3 wks and i'm free finally!! I take my basic supplements and I take the L-glutamine and 5HTP and it's amazing, I'm not obsessed with food hardly at all. I'm not thinking ahead of what to eat and i'm not taking anymore supplements or HNS's from MRC. My cravings have all gone away. Goodluck I hope her plan helps you if you decide to try it. It's been a life saver for me.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #8  

Going4fit - great description. Makes sense when you put it like that.
I'm always on the diet around-about, I'm trying the 7 values diet at the moment but if this does not work out - then I'll have to try this theory next!
DietHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #9  
13 pds in 7 days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelley331 View Post
Hello ladies, I was just wondering if anyone has read this book by Julia Ross and followed her plan? I've been following it and it's been amazing and I have had great success. Anyone else have good results?
Did you start this after you reached your goal?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #10  
Sherry, Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franciejones View Post
Did you start this after you reached your goal?
I went on maintenance jan 4, 2013, after about a month or two all the cravings started coming back, it all went out of control. So I just started The Diet Cure plan three weeks ago. It's amazing.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #11  
13 pds in 7 days!

Thanks so much for your reply! I am definitely going to look into the book!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #12  
Maintenance Member

S/C/G: 211/191/175

Height: 5'5

Well, I think the book ("The Diet Cure") is a wealth of information for sure. I am not feeling like the supplements are working for me really. If I got anything, I bought a ton of supplements, but I may have a new vitamin that I like....and the schedule for when to take what from now on.

I have actually increased my weight lately, and don't think I will blame the book Rather, I think I need a different kind of guidance right now. I have become so book smart lately in my attempt at Maintenance, but the bottom line is finding what works for me, and I haven't found it. I think that the dieting in general messed my metabolism up, etc...and so adding anything into my diet creates a gain. I am not ok with living on 1200 calories a day for the rest of my life...

I went in for a WI last week and was up a pound. The advice I was given? Decrease calories again, and don't do strength training. Really? I am in Maintenance now! I am also not believing that "healthy" moving forward is yo yoing back and forth between Maintenance and Green Menu.

I am sorry to rant...but what I am doing isn't working and my check in last week confirms for me now more than ever that MRC is wonderful for quick weight loss...but good luck with keeping it off on your own

Last edited by Tamikl; 05-21-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Tamikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #13  
Sherry, Senior Member

Well after following the diet cure i can officially say that i'm supplement free, counting calorie free, weighing myself free!!! I have no cravings and i can actually eat a I mean (1) cookie and stop if i want. It's knowing that i'm not on a diet anymore, i eat smart and if i want to have ice cream or dessert i do and I don't overeat anymore! Thank you Julia ross!!! And I'm maintaining my weight and have now for 4 wks!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #14  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

I LOVE the Diet Cure. Her other book- The Mood Cure ABSOLUTELY changed my life.
I'm glad you ladies are also enjoying the book so much.

Tamikl- I'm sorry that you are struggling with maintenance. I would be outraged if they told me to stop exercising and go back on the green menu. That's not something you can maintain for life. (I'm a total MRebelC)
Have you looked into intuitive eating?
http://www.intuitiveeating.org/conte...tuitive-eating

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...ting-18-a.html

Also- have you looked at maybe adding kelp to your diet to support your thyroid? But I actually do truly believe that if you looked into intuitive eating- cut all artificial foods out- and listened to your body- it would probably tell you what you needed to start eating to help repair itself.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/19...038bcff0da.jpg

I think you might find this article interesting- https://nourishingourchildren.wordpr...r-childs-lead/

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 05-23-2013 at 04:13 PM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #15  
Sherry, Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
I LOVE the Diet Cure. Her other book- The Mood Cure ABSOLUTELY changed my life.
I'm glad you ladies are also enjoying the book so much.

Tamikl- I'm sorry that you are struggling with maintenance. I would be outraged if they told me to stop exercising and going back on the green menu. That's not something you can maintain for life. (I'm a total MRebelC)
Have you looked into intuitive eating?
http://www.intuitiveeating.org/conte...tuitive-eating

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...ting-18-a.html

Also- have you looked at maybe adding kelp to your diet to support your thyroid? But I actually do truly believe that if you looked into intuitive eating- cut all artificial foods out- and listened to your body- it would probably tell you what you needed to start eating to help repair itself.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/19...038bcff0da.jpg

I think you might find this article interesting- https://nourishingourchildren.wordpr...r-childs-lead/
Oh i'm currently reading the Intuitive Eating and love it!!! I'm so glad you posted about it.