Old 03-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #1  

Default Advice on pre-meditated "cheating"

I just started MRC after Spring Break. Today is day two of my actual menu, and I'm on the Meta-Slim plan. I've been gung-ho thus far and have lost four pounds... but I have a major problem.

The next two months (basically the whole 17 week program), I will be taking a minimum of ten trips. Most of these are related to my job as a teacher. Eight of these are field trips (two are overnight/ multiple days), one is a wedding in which I'm a bridesmaid, and the last is our cruise vacation. Oh yeah, and Easter is next week.

So here's the issue. I want to do my best to stay on plan, but some of those trips, there will be no way to do that short of buying groceries while on the trip (without transportation). I don't want to turn down food at the rehearsal dinner or reception of this wedding. I'll be taking my students to multiple attractions and we will have to eat at those places. I can't focus on my students and the trip while worrying about packing a lunch and bringing in "outside food" to a place that doesn't allow it. About the only thing I can see doing is only ever ordering dry salad and taking my HNS with me.

Any advice on how to deal with this? I've spent too much money to back out, but I know there's no way to lose the weight required to get the year of maintenance. I'm not trying to justify cheating because I want to stay on plan and lose this weight, but I don't know what else to do. I just started the program at the worst time of year to do it.
grumpygrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Here's what I do...I order the healthiest thing on the menu and ask for a box. I immediately box up half and only eat the other half, taking the rest home for another day or to pack for my husband's lunch. If no take out box is available, I grin and bear the pain and throw half of it away. I find that when I do that, I don't really gain any weight, and usually lose. Just for what it is worth.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

If you know where you're going to be eating ahead of time, try looking up the nutritional information on the restaurant's web site. If that's not possible, order what would appear to be the lowest calorie entree available. Remember, that somehow a lot of restaurants manage to take a salad and turn it into a mega feast with 800-900 calories. Ask for salad dressing on the side or skip the dressing altogether and just ask for several lemon sections and squeeze those on. If the salad is huge and has lots of cheeses and meats on it, see about splitting it with someone.

I really admire you for trying to figure out how to handle this BEFORE all of your trips. Going in with a plan has saved me in the past. Even if restaurants don't have the nutritional info available, if you have a smart phone, you can look at their menus and figure out the calorie counts from an app like MyFitnessPal. Good luck with your dieting efforts and try to enjoy the trips.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/201/160

Height: 5' 7"

betsy and zoesmom gave you good advice. I would stay on plan for the wedding and take MRC meal bars for the school trips. For the cruise I would stay on plan for two meals a day and indulge a little for one.

When I was on plan a few years ago I went on vacation and ate totally off plan since part of the attractions of where I vacationed was the great food (and I'm sure that's true of cruises). My vacation was very active and I ate whatever I wanted at night but stayed on plan for breakfast and lunch. After twelve days of being on vacation, I gained 15 pounds. Most of it was retained sodium however, and I was able to get the fifteen pound off 7 days after being back on program.

Since you haven't been on the program for long, the diet isn't really hard-wired for you yet. I would make sure I packed a couple copies of your menu so you can pull them out at any time.

I know my sister goes on school trips and packs gluten-free foods and her various prescriptions. Maybe if you present this as a health issue for your school trip it won't be an issue.

I wish you luck. You just have to do your best.

Most of us have done it before and gotten back on track.
Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/240/150

Height: 5'2"

Stick with the proteins and carbs that are allowed. At resturants asked for grilled meats. Buy the fat and carb blocker it really does work. On the cruise there are so many different options that you will be able to stay on plan. For the field trips with your students eat on plan breakfast and eat a meal bar with a salad or vegetables for lunch bring your salad dressing and HNS with you. Ask your center if they have a handout for resturants.
rn5192008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 167/129/125

"look for ways to stay on plan, not ways to cheat."

If you really, really try, you can find good choices. Good advice so far--plan ahead with online restaurant menus, bring meal replacement bars, the cruise will have lots of temptation but will also have LOTS of good choices. Just being around 'good' food that tastes and smells delicious and seems easy doesn't mean you CAN'T stay on plan.

You made a commitment to yourself when you made the commitment to MRC by writing that check. Honor that commitment by being good to yourself and making wise choices. Willpower is the best advice you can take.
MrsRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 167/129/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpygrump View Post
I don't want to turn down food at the rehearsal dinner or reception of this wedding.
Why not?
MrsRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRiker View Post
Why not?
Because it's probably going to be a fancy sit-down affair with very "fancy" people who will get offended that they spent money on my plate and I didn't eat anything.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

I just got the handout for restaurants and it is super helpful. I am vacationing for a few days over Easter and will be super challenged with food and restaurants that I love. I just have to realize it is a health issue, and just like I am usually vigilant about nuts (I have an allergy so bad I carry an epipen), I can be just as proactive about food being prepared the way I like it.

The last cruise I went on the food wasn't amazing, just lots of it and lots of sweets and carbs. It wouldn't be too hard to focus on salads and lean meats. Take your HNS so you don't get hungry enough to lose control.

And then I kind of wonder if maybe you shouldn't talk to your center and see if you can postpone your program? With so many events that make you feel like you can't be successful maybe this isn't the best time for you to do it.
Monkeysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #10  

Quote:
Because it's probably going to be a fancy sit-down affair with very "fancy" people who will get offended that they spent money on my plate and I didn't eat anything.
It's none of my business but since this is a public forum....

The guilt over food in my life is OVER. I decided I will not eat anything that makes anyone else happy, makes them feel better, makes them feel it's money well spent.

Guilt and stress put me over 300lbs, it won't be happening again.

Own your food choices and have what YOU want, not what others want. You deserve it and owe it to yourself.

And if it's only about the "money", remember that MRC is expensive for YOU and cheating on your diet costs YOU money.

Last edited by elvislover324; 03-28-2013 at 05:35 PM.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
It's none of my business but since this is a public forum....

The guilt over food in my life is OVER. I decided I will not eat anything that makes anyone else happy, makes them feel better, makes them feel it's money well spent.

Guilt and stress put me over 300lbs, it won't be happening again.

Own your food choices and have what YOU want, not what others want. You deserve it and owe it to yourself.

And if it's only about the "money", remember that MRC is expensive for YOU and cheating on your diet costs YOU money.

Where's the like button?
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #12  
I can do this!

S/C/G: 242.5/137.5/145

Height: 5'3

Quote:
I would try and find out what you are having at the rehearsal and reception if you can and ask your center. I did that for a wedding and rehearsal and it turned out just fine. They gave me tips on what to do for the whole day like skip my carbs for breakfast and lunch, drink more water, etc. At the reception I doubt anyone will notice how much food you ate or what you ate but maybe at the rehearsal dinner. Portion at the rehearsal dinner is my best advice and eating before you get there would help that way you don't get tempted to eat something bad or as much at least. It seems like if you are a bridesmaid in the wedding people would be supportive of your choices if you turned down food since they probably know you well and know you are trying to watch your weight. If in the situation where they ask you about it, which I doubt they will, you could try saying I am on a very strict meal plan from my doctor or something to that affect. They might even be intrigued by what program you are on and want to learn more(had that happen at a wedding too!) lol
About the trips, I would call ahead to where you are taking your kids places and see what menu options they have. It isn't a silly question because it is your health and there are a ton of times that I have had to just have salads over and over again due to being on the road. You could get packets of oil and vinegar from subway or they also sell walden farms salad dressing packets that you can stick in your purse or wherever. As far as Easter, you will probably be with family I'm guessing and they should support you if you make yourself a 'healty' meal. Take sugar free jello cups if you go somewhere that way you can snack on those if you have a craving for something different. The snacks are always usually in one area so trying to avoid even going near them is best, out of sight out of mind. I have done this for every holiday basically and my family understands and doesn't get offended or anything, they are just are happy that I am there. Good luck with everything

Last edited by dkdaisybutters; 03-28-2013 at 07:06 PM.
dkdaisybutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #13  

Thanks for all the good advice. I talked with my center, and they said they'd get me the restaurant guide. I'm going to stick with everything to the best of my ability and not stress out if one or two things get out of my control. I'm excited about doing this diet, as I've been overweight my whole life. I'm ready for a change and I just don't want to mess this up!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 340/205/190ish

Height: 5'9"

I'm sure when I go to a resturant they think I'm a freak.

I just order items and ask them to cook it my way. I've never had anyone treat me weird about it.

I usually order the grilled chicken and ask for it to be plain.

I order the steamed veggies and ask for it to be plain too...usually broccoli.

If a bread basket or something like it comes..I make sure it ends up on the other side of the table.

I also make sure I order water, and drink 2-3 glasses before my food even comes...by then I'm usually full.

Good luck to you!! It can be done...just takes willpower and some homework.
Keylani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

I am just learning to order this way, had some halibut last weekend, and the waitress looked a bit surprised when I said no sauce--but it was cooked beautifully and I really enjoyed it.

Have to remember to ask for veggies plain, mine came with butter so I didn't eat them. I get sick of salad.

Another thought for OP, talk to your center about meal replacement options too. Then you can carry a shake or bar, most places have water! I've just started using those, and tip--the chocolate with a scoop of super veggie (mint flavored) is really yummy. I need to get a good shaker jar for when I am not home to blend these.
Monkeysocks is offline   Reply With Quote