Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/see ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Default My "No Sweating Syndrome"

Hello,

I am new here, and still trying to figure out where to post what!! Hope I am posting at the right place......

I have a query regarding gym workouts.....

Well, today was my first day ever exercising in a gym. Even after strenuous cardio workout (well strenuous enough considering first day at least ) I was not sweating at all. I mean nothing, Nada, not a drop of sweat. My 40 mins work out comprised of:
  • treadmill : 15 mins initially starting at a speed of 4 going upto 6 (embarrasing i know, still feels like an achievement..lol)
  • elliptical : 10 mins trying to maintain a speed/ (dunno what it actually means) of 50 it
  • cycling : 15 mins

Where as people around me were sweating like pigs

Just want to know where I am going wrong. Will this "no sweating syndrome" of mine hamper my weight loss?

Even when I used to go for brisk waling, I never did sweat that much, hardly so in summer.

Whats wrong with me

Last edited by appyfizz; 01-04-2013 at 04:37 AM.
appyfizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:45 AM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Get a HRM... This way you'll know if you're in your target zone and getting an effective cardio workout...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #3  

^ Yeah, I guess that may help........ thanks for the tip!!

But does this usually happen.....this "no sweating" thing?????
Old 01-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I'm also don't sweat a ton, even when I'm doing a pretty hardcore workout. My face goes bright red but no sweat. I know it's not normal but everyone is different and their bodies react differently. My boyfriend and I will go for a brisk walk or a bike ride and he'll be sweating up a storm and I'll be fine, though my face will be red! He's in much better shape than I am too.

Like you, even in hot weather I didn't sweat until I moved to South Korea where it gets ridiculously humid in the summer, but I still don't sweat when I work out!
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

For what it's worth....When I started exercising at 280+, I didn't sweat much at all. I found the more I exercised and perhaps the more energy I exerted my sweat quotient increased Now, I have the embarrassing sweat.....
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I read somewhere that as your body gets more efficient in processing movement you actually sweat MORE. I'm pretty fit but have never been much of a "sweater" and still am not. I have a co-worker who occasionally works out with me at lunch and she sweats BUCKETS like 5 minutes into a Zumba DVD!

So some of it is individual.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #7  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Ugh...I sweat in like two minutes!

And 4.0 - 6.0 on the treadmill should not be embarrassing!!! I never go higher than that.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #8  

Thank you all for the replies I am much relieved now..I always associated weight loss with sweating. i.e. if I sweat more while working out then I maybe burning some calories, if not then maybe I am not putting in much effort. But looking at all the weight loss you all have achieved, I am sure I will be fine.

@ ChickieChicks: Really!! Then I guess I should concentrate on building up my stamina by increasing the running time rather than the running speed

Last edited by appyfizz; 01-07-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I have noticed two things about my sweating.

One- I sweat more if I drink more. So drink lots of water.

Two- I sweat more the more fit I get. So when I was just starting out, I didn't sweat much. The more fit I got, the more I sweat.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #10  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I have noticed two things about my sweating.

One- I sweat more if I drink more. So drink lots of water.
This, Make sure you are properly hydrated. I've read that you should be drinking approximately half your body weight in ounces. I weigh around 240 pounds- so I try to drink 120 ounces of water a day.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #11  

@ EagleRiverDee : Cool. I was under the impression that the more fat you are, the more you sweat because of the more heat generation during exercising. That, i guess, explains the "sweatlessness"

@ lunarsongbird : Will have to probably pay more attention to that!! I easily tend to skip drinking water unless I am extremely thirsty.

Also, I asked the trainer about it. He said it might be because of my hypothyroidism. Need to confirm with my endocrinologist regarding the same
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #12  
Ice Cream Slave

S/C/G: Waist size: 20/20/8

Drink more water. Fat has a lower water content than muscle so overweight/obese people tend to be (relatively) more dehydrated than their skinny counterparts. Your body will conserve its water reserves and not sweat if you're not properly hydrated.
JellyBelly1908 is offline   Reply With Quote