Old 03-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Default INtroduction of Sorts.

Hi there. I am Jennifer and I am 31 and 32 weeks pregnant. I have been diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I failed my fasting and my 2 hr during my 3 hr. GTT. I have to prick my finger 4x day. I am doing my best to tweak my diet and be aware of my food choices, i don't want to take exogenous insulin.

I only failed by 2 pts! But that was enough. My dr. has cautioned me i have a good chance of becoming a diabetic later if I am not already one.

It seems to me there was some switch that was turned on in my genes when i hit puberty and then it was pushed even farther up when I was pregnant with DS 1. prior to puberty, i COULDN'T gain weight. Puberty hit, and i stayed on the heavy side of normal, since my pregnancy with DS 1, i have been overweight, and then started to hit obese.

my preg. with ds1, i actually failed the 1 hr by a few pts, but my dr. thought i would be ok. some years afterwards, i went to the dr. complaining of being tired, and not feeling well ALOT. So they did some bloodwork. One was a random b/s stick. It was 154. They asked me if I had been eating that day. I was drinking gatorade all morning and i had a banana for breakfast. So they did an A1c on me. It was 6. They told me it was NOT the best and was in more of the range of well controlled diabetes, but was not indicative of diabetes, so i went on my merry way.

I watched my siblings go from fairly healthy children to very overweight and even very obese adults. My own ds is now hitting puberty. I took a few fasting blood sugars of his with my meter, and he had a few over 100 FASTING. I have always gotten him to watch what he eats, i caution him, that i don't want him to EVER have to get fat, and fight the battle of the bulge. An ounce of prevention is literally worth a lb of cure.

i have always suspected something was wrong with our insulin sensitivity, especially because my mom would practically kill herself in aerobics and not ever be thin, the best results for her were cutting carbs and weight lifting. All of us seem to do better with weight lifitng than aerobics.

Anyways, i am blessed i don't have what is considered full blown diabetes, but i am very scared to teeter over that line. I think if i treat myself as if I do, then i will do better in the long run.

I am sorry for everyone diagnosed with this horrible disease, and I hope to learn from you all, and maybe help with whatever i can. I am a senior nursing student graduating my RN in May, and I have ALWAYS been interested in NATURAL methods of healing and controlling diabetes and insulin resistance.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote