Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #1  
banned

Default Question regarding Hula Hoops

Okay, I'm determined to start working out again. At the moment the weighted hula hoop has caught my fancy, but I'm not quite sure what size to get. I know they say someone around my weight should get a 4 or 5 lb one, but won't that be too hard? I'm not very strong at all, really. Also, I'm not sure about the size of my waist. I know it's big. lol. But I'm afraid the hula hoop will be too small to go around me. I haven't messed with one since I was way little.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #2  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Yes, yes, yes! Get a good quality weighted hula hoop. I was hula hooping this weekend with a borrowed one and had fun. I tried a non-weighted one and it was too difficult to keep moving.

As for the weight, I think you'll like it- it gives you more control. It feels solid, but not heavy. The one I was using was about 3-4 feet in diameter, which is plenty big. My waist is about 35".

It takes some practice, but it's a lot of fun. The part of me that got tired first was my arms because I had them raised for a long time.

I want to buy one too. Have fun!
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #3  
Slowly getting there

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Hula hoops are a great way to have fun while exercising! I would be a little cautious about getting one that is too heavy. My experience is that heavy ones take a bit more work to keep going if you haven't hooped in years. This can be discouraging.

More work can mean more frustration = you're more likely to stop using it, but it might work your core a bit more.
Lighter (still no where as light as the cheap kids hoops that can be bought at stores. Those are too small and too light.) = you can use it longer before your waist starts getting tired/sore.

One issue with really heavy hoops is that they can bruise your waist when you begin using them. I make my own hoops. I've never weighed them, but they seem to be about average weight. The first few days I did have tiny bruises around my hoops (I have very prominent hip bones). Now even if I haven't hooped in a month or two, they don't come back.

Diameter: When holding a hoop on the ground in front of you it should reach between your belly button and chest. Many beginners start around 42"-44". Larger hoops move slower around your body and are easier to learn on.

There are lots of people that sell hoops all over the internet, but you can make your own fairly easily and cheaper with materials that can be bought at Home Depot/Lowes. http://www.jasonunbound.com/hoops.html

There are videos all over youtube that can teach you everything from basic waist hooping to moves that let you really dance with your hoop. I love just putting on music and moving with it.
Talina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #4  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Hey, Talina... thanks for the tips.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #5  
Slowly getting there

No problem. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #6  
banned

I definitely want one now. I may try the 3 lb one first even though it says for my weight I'm supposed to start with 4 or 5 lbs. Why does it say that btw? Is it because they are narrower?
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #7  
Slowly getting there

Where did you read that you should start with that weight?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/156/145

Height: 5 ft. 4 inches

I have a 3 lb. Hoop. I think according to the chart I was on the verge of needing a 5 Lb. I think the 3 Lb. is enough for me.
llmw1951 is offline   Reply With Quote