Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/292/170

Height: 5'7"

Question excercise problems...

So I tried out my stationary bike today, and after 10 minutes I was panting, I am sooo out of shape. Problem is it says I only burned 150 cals. So my question is, for the people who started out getting winded going upstairs, how did you start burning the calories you needed to every day?
Chrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #2  
Meg

Congratulations on getting started with exercise!

You'll be surprised how fast your endurance will increase! Try to add a minute every day or so and you'll be up to 30 minutes or more before you know it.

One thing you could try while you're still building up endurance is to do several 10 minute sessions a day. It all adds up and is just as effective as doing it in one long session.

Also, mix it up. If 10 minutes on the bike is all you can do, add in a 10 minute walk and maybe 10 weights of some weights or some stretching. Every little bit you do adds up.

Most of us started out just like you and just keep working at it, day by day, until we got to the level we wanted to be at. You can do it!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I agree with meg completely. We all started somewhere! You'll get your endurance up quickly.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #4  

Alright, thanks for the advice, will give it a try. I got a few dumbbells here at home, so I guess I can start using those too.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #5  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

You're a better woman than I. When I started, I walked outside. I tried to ride a stationary bike, as I'd done years before, but -- how do I put this nicely? -- well, I won't even try -- my butt swallowed up the seat & it was horribly, horribly uncomfortable. So I quit. But I pushed too hard on speedwalking & probably my sneakers were shot, because I wrecked my feet. Ended up with plantar fasciitis (which I may one day learn how to spell correctly) and found out I had arthritis in my big toe joints. That's when I went back to the bike.

I found I could do about 20 minutes, but I am certain it's because I built up endurance walking first. Again, the excruciating thing was the seat pain.

First I tried towels on the seat. Then I bought padded bike shorts. Aero Tech Designs is a small company that makes those in pretty big women's sizes. That really helped. But also, the investment in the shorts was a sign I was taking my bike sessions seriously: I had the The Pro Gear. It represented a commitment & I think that was good for me.

Hour-long sessions on the bike are still part of my maintenance exercise routines, any time my feet start acting up.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Exercise is a long term investment. It may take 6 months to get to where you are burning major calories, but you'll start seeing improvements in your general health long before that.

Do NOT push too hard. Your exercise routine should be one that takes about 80% of your willpower to complete on a normal day. If it takes all your willpower to do it every single day, you'll burn out for sure. Furthermore, you'll drop the ball when life gets complicated and sucks up your emotional energy to where you just can't complete your routine. Moderate with steady increases is the way to go.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

The first time tried running, I stopped because my legs were wobbly, my lungs were burning, my heart was pounding .... it was 22 seconds. Yes, things have improved since then.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

You've started, that's the important thing. Endurance will come with practice.

And even if you're fairly fit, if you start at a totally new exercise you often end up only able to do it a short time at first!
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #9  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Don't be afraid to start with walking. I lost 30-40 pounds just by walking. And I still walk! It's awesome cos there's so many things you can do to make it harder, like carrying dumbbells, swinging your arms, taking bigger strides, taking many little ones, it's great. But don't worry about that now, just start moving!

Last edited by oodlesofnoodles; 02-23-2010 at 12:52 PM.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 290.5/281.5/175

Height: 5'8"

Good advice here. Every little bit counts. Last spring I lost 25 lbs and I started by walking then a little running. You just increase a little everyday. You can start by timing (example run 5 minutes walk for 30 seconds) or you can do by distance (example walk 4 times around track or to the pole then run once around or to that car). Point is is to try to get a little better everyday and you will. For me, by 2 months I was able to run a mile without stopping and that was a huge accomplishment for me at 270-260 lbs. So if I can do it so can you. And same goes for the stationary bike do level 1 today level 2 next week...I'm sure you get the point. And good for you for doing it. You get a . Horray!
gr82bmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

The first time I got on a bike after many, many years of not riding. I went around the block-a very short block and wound out all winded, my legs wobbled so bad I couldn't even stand up without help. But after a few more times, I slowly got better.

You will too. It's good that you started, that's the first step in getting fit. A little here, a little there and one day you'll look at yourself and be astounded at the postive changes.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #12  

Ok, hit a small snag, I am going to start with walking when my leg heals.. Apparently the bike a few times a day was to much and I pulled something
Old 02-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Walking is a GREAT exercise and perfect for beginner or advanced, go for it!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote