Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default How long after eating?

How long should you wait after eating to work out? I plan to work out tonight, we're eating pretty early because hubby has to go out but I was wondering if there was a general guideline?
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #2  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I feel this depends on how much you eat, and what you plan on doing. If you eat to FULL it will take a while before you feel like exercising more than a stroll. I think the old standby of 30 min is a good one, but I like to give it closer to an hour just to be safe.

Hope that helps
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

It depends on intensity also. I am an endurance runner and have pretty much trained myself that I can run immediately after eating if I have to, as long as I keep the intensity moderate. I also often eat right before weight lifting. But unless it is for something unusual the meals are usually light. PB toast and coffee is pretty common for me in the morning approximately 10 minutes before I start running.

[But I have run right after a MAJOR binge, not to punish myself, but as a way to break the binge. Short, slow and not at all pleasant (I was also sliiiiightly drunk) so I may not be the best example]

The only thing to keep in mind is you will perform better in your workout tomorrow if you save some of your calories for post workout refueling.

* heh* reminds me of the guy at the gym who kept telling me it was necessary to ingest protein WHILE lifting. He carried around this huge protein shake from the juice bar and took a sip between each set. This thing was basically a milkshake with protein powder. He had huge biceps and a gut to match.

Last edited by ennay; 02-16-2010 at 06:07 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 164/151/125

Height: 5'4"

I usually eat a full meal about 2hours before I run. But about 10minutes before I run if I don't feel energetic I eat something small like a granola bar or an apple or almonds all with a glass of water. BUT never eat anything acidic like tomatoes or orange juice before a workout! My old personal trainer told me that. If I do, my stomach burns and I burp like tomato chunks up (gross I know!)
orangebelpeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebelpeper View Post
I usually eat a full meal about 2hours before I run. But about 10minutes before I run if I don't feel energetic I eat something small like a granola bar or an apple or almonds all with a glass of water.
This is what I do also... But sometimes it's only in my head that I need something to eat, specially if the full meal was chock full of good veggies, carbs and proteins... I'm only gone for 40 - 60 mins, I aint gonna die in that time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay
[But I have run right after a MAJOR binge, not to punish myself, but as a way to break the binge. Short, slow and not at all pleasant (I was also sliiiiightly drunk) so I may not be the best example]
I've run very hung over, but never drunk musta been a hoot!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #6  
Gotta run!

Running drunk must have been a sight to see! I'm sorry I missed it!

Thanks for the input everyone, it does help. I usually do 10 minutes of step, 20 minutes of running on the spot (or lapping the basement) w/ the wii, then 10 more min of step. I do the step with hand weights and I'm only running on the spot until I can get my Mom in Laws old treadmill into the basement somewhere.

Lately I've added on another 10 minutes of running and 10 minutes of step at the end. I plan to do the couch to 5k program once we get the treadmill in. I like running... I hope to eventually call myself a runner.

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 02-17-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post

I've run very hung over, but never drunk musta been a hoot!!
Running drunk is MUCH more fun than running hungover. I've done it a few times. Last year I was just having a bad day and had been eating dinner and dh and I polished off a bottle of wine. I had been contemplating "streaking" and realized that if I ran I would already be 12 or 13 days into the streak but if I didnt I would have to start over. The good news is when drunk running drunk doesnt seem like a bad idea.

Plus I run most New Year's right after the champagne is done.

Running hungover is miserable but it is one of the fastest ways to cure a hangover.

Dang, I sound like a lush.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Dang, I sound like a lush.
Not, much, noooo ....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Not, much, noooo ....
I'm just an experienced runner who occasionally runs into alcohol.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #10  
Gotta run!

^ LoL I hope to be there one day.