General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 11:20 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down Prevention Millennium Diet #87

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed
42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:59 AM   #2  

Default Hi girls...

It's been quite nice here since the weekend... not alot of sun but bu very mild weather...

I did get my digital scale, and I really like it... Altho the numbers on it could be smaller, but I'm working on that...

DH and I went for a nice walk last nite... I like walking with him he motivates me, and I walk faster... I also started working out at the gym in the morning with a partner... A very good friend was there yesterday and she has just started to go at 5:30am, so we decided to get together and work out. We did this morning and we both had a great workout... We plan to bike to the gym in the morning in the summer and then go out for a ride.....I hope we stick to it...

Well it's only my lunch hour so I must go....

Have a good and "heaalthy" day....

Lana....
Old 05-07-2002, 04:19 PM   #3  
Chick

Default Good afternoon all,

Lana, your exercise plans sound so exciting. That scale is bound to be showing you some results with this plan in action. Your workout with your friend sounds like exactly the plan that would work for me. Good luck with it.

Yesterday I felt like it was my last official screw-up day so I ate pretty bad. Today I woke up with the determination to turn things around. I made a good soup on Sunday from the sunday news magazine, it has white beans and kale as the main ingredients. I had it for lunch and it was really good.

I am getting my exercise today by doing yard work, mowing, transplanting, etc. Summer break has more or less started.

Alice, how are you? Everything going ok? And judi, you should be home soon!
Old 05-08-2002, 07:37 AM   #4  

Angry Good morning..

We had a gorgeous weekend weatherwise. One day it was around 80. I hope you all enjoyed your weekend. I am off to shop and lunch with a GF. There is a new Home Goods store that has opened nearby and we will be going to check it out.

I have started a jump start program for weight loss. I've seen the Special K cereal ad that says that you can lose up to 6 lb. in 2 weeks by substituting 2 meals with cereal & fruit, and eating veggies or fruit for a snack. DH & I started it Sun....and we are both starving But we will keep it up for the 2 week period. After 2 weeks you have to go off it.

Lana~Having an exercise partner is the way to go. Both of you will keep each other motivated. I am sure the numbers on your scale will be getting smaller. Good for you!!

ledom~Yard work is great exercise! I have been walking some. We have been busy these past couple of days and I haven't had a chance to get out and walk. Hopefully tomorrow.

Hi Judi!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 05-08-2002, 09:59 AM   #5  
Chick

Default Good morning,

Alice, you sound good. A jump start could be just the thing. Maybe you can buy some Arkansas strawberries to have with your cereal, I understand we have a bumper crop this year.

I LOVE summer break!

Yesterday was the nearest to perfect PMD day that I have had in a very long time. This morning I got up and did my workout. I already feel better!

It is hot and muggy. There should be a break in the cloudy, humid weather on Fri. - will be kayaking that afternoon. Tomorrow night is the concert. My company will be arriving the middle of next week instead of over the weekend. That is probably good because I was starting to feel pressured for time.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:28 PM   #6  

Talking

Hello girls,

Hope everyone is having a good week.... I know I am...

Yesterday I was off and walked in the afternoon with a parade for World Youth Day. They are carrying a cross across Canada to end up in Toronto in July this summer... I was in charge of the young mass servers of our church... It was very nice.

My exercise program is going very well too we are sticking to it and to top it all off I tried a skirt on this morning which hasn't fit in ages and it slipped right on...I was soooooooo happy....

Ledom~ GOOD for you on your near perfect PMD....your weather sounds better than cold and damp as it is up here in the north...

Speaking of north we are going to North Bay on the weekend for my son's volleyball tournament. I'm looking forward to it. I hope I do well food wise...t if I don't it'll be just fun to be out of this city and the house....

Well just looked at the time and I'm late for work.....

Lana.....
Old 05-09-2002, 01:10 PM   #7  

Angry Good afternoon.....

Had a great day yesterday having lunch and a shopping spree w/a GF. We had the best Chinese Food. I had my cereal for supper. We're into day 5 of the 2 cereal meals....from the way we both feel....we hope we can last the 2 weeks

Lana~The parade sounds like a lot of fun. How far did you have to walk? Are they carrying the cross across Canada in the same fashion that they carried the Olympic Torch around the U.S.? That must have made your day being able to slip that skirt right on Doesn't it make you feel good when that happens? How far north is North Bay?

ledom~AHHHH, hot and muggy....anything is better than the damp weather we are having. It seems as though every 2nd or 3rd day we are having rain or showers. I swear if anymore people say we need the rain...I will hit them with my umbrella!!! Have a great time at the concert. Tell us all about it. Strawberries....I LOVE strawberries!

Take care and enjoy the afternoon.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:09 AM   #8  
Chick

Default good morning,

After my very long drive to Dallas and back I spent yesterday in recovery. Kids seemed to have a good time - no, I didn't go to the concert, I went to the 1/2 Price bookstore instead.

Graduation at 9 this morning and then I am off work until mid-August. Yippee.

Diet has been going well. After laying off exercise so long, I am back with it and SORE! I had worked through that when I was doing it regularly, but now I am breaking in my muscles again.

Went clothes shopping on Wed. I finally started hated myself for letting go of my diet - I don't know what I was thinking, but I am not thinking it any more. I hope to make the most of my summer by getting off some weight. I did find some neat clothes, but it was in the dressing room surrounded with 3 different sizes that I felt the effects of my indiscretions the most.

Well, I am going to get a workout in before I shower so I need to run. Have a good weekend girls.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:51 AM   #9  

Default its me...

Hi girls! It is nice to read everyone's inspiring posts. Wish I had one to write too but I have stayed the same weight as when I left. Just too lazy and didn't exercise. I was watching some thing on tv and they found exercise can turn back the clock in so many ways...as much as THIRTY years.

We arrived back today. We took an extra week and spent time in Newport Beach and San Diego. We went to the zoo. That was the most exercise I had in the entire trip. It was a very enjoyable day.

I brought back a lot of "Morningstar" products and yoplait "WHIPS" which I love and we don't have in Canada.

I hope I have something good to report tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:26 AM   #10  

Angry Happy Mother's Day!

I hope that you are all enjoying your special day. I got a nice Mother's Day card from Lacee.

Yesterday was such a nice day that I got out and raked and got the big planter we have at the end of our driveway ready to put some flowers in next weekend. Today it's cool and it's supposed to start raining and be miserable until late in the week.

I am off my cereal diet. On Sat. DH & I got weighed...he only lost 1 lb. and I GAINED 1/2 lb. He doesn't want to do it anymore, and by Friday I did not want to look at another bowl of cereal.

judi~WELCOME HOME!!!! We missed your posts. That's wonderful that you could take some extra time and do some more sightseeing. Have you tried the "Morningstar" pizza? I have seen it in the grocery store and was wondering how it was.
That's fantastic that you stayed the same...usually one gains weight while travelling.

ledom~Did you buy any books? Glad that your D and her friends had a good time at the concert. Enjoy your leisure time! Any kayaking trips in the near future? Have a good time with your company this week.

Hi Lana I hope that your weekend is going well.

Take care.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:21 PM   #11  

Hi all! I hope your are all having a good Sunday.

You are putting flowers in next weeknd Alice? Next weekend is the first one that we usually can plant stuff from seed, no earlier as it is too cold. It is still to cold to put stuff in planters for us. My hubby did the grass and replanted a rhodo bush today so I am looking forward to doing a few things this week. I am always inspired by seeing SOMEONE else work FIRST

I am making a veg. recipe from this site. The refried beans and cheese casserole (made with corn tortillas in between the layers) its in the oven and it is smellin' good.

My D got me Carol Shield's new novel for mom's day. She is reading it too. She says she sees us in it and it is a good read for women.

What books did you get Ledom?

Hi Lana and Shebacat!
Old 05-13-2002, 11:42 AM   #12  

Angry Good morning,

I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend.

judi~I do have my fingers crossed that we will have decent weather for me to plant some flowers. It is still rather chilly here, but we haven't had a frost in a few weeks...so I am hoping. I have started reading the Mitford series by Jan Karon. There are about 5 or 6 volumes already printed. I have started the 1st one, and I liked it so much, this weekend I bought 3 more books!
Did Marley go on the trip with you? If so, is he happy to be home?

ledom~You have inspired me to get back on my horse re: exercising. How is your exercising going? We have a wedding to go to in June, and I need a new outfit...I am not very happy about trying to buy some new clothes. I was hoping I would have lost some weight...but no.

Hi Lana...I hope all is well with you.

Take care.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:08 PM   #13  

Hi Alice! Jan Karon...I haven't heard of her. I will get one of her books. I am always looking for a good read. I feel the same way about Rosamunde Pilcher, after I read one I went out and got everything by her.

Marley went on the trip. He was VERY happy to be home. He pulled out all his dog toys and ran around the house with a big smile on his face. Tonight Bentley and my D are coming over for the night. My D says when I phone her and Bentley hears my voice on the phone he comes over and gives it slurpy kisses. Dogs! eh! gotta love 'em!!!

I am going to start journalling again, for point counting.

I dented the front of my car and now I have to have it fixed I was talking and not paying attention when I was parking and I know I can't talk and drive. There is so much I would rather do with the money than fix a car dent.

Goodmorning Ledom and Lana!
Old 05-13-2002, 04:59 PM   #14  
Chick

Default Good afternoon ladies,

Sigh - I haven't posted because I am so frustrated with myself right now. I know how pointless my attitude is and that if I wait until everything is just perfect to get on with my good habits that I'll never get to it. But, I am concentrating on getting ready for my company and kind of all in a dither over it. I am happy to see my relatives, but it is so disruptive. I am a loner at heart and am ready for it to be over before it even begins. Once they get here I'll be fine, it is just the anticipation. I am taking spurts of industriousness and procrastination. Speaking of books, that is how I am procrastinating. I am reading Of Human Bondage and just am determined to finish it today!

Oh, enough of my neurosis.

In Dallas, I too bought the rest of the books by my current favorite - Willa Cather. Can't believe it took me so long to "discover" her. The other books I bought are Photo History Books. I teach History of Photography in the fall and I have a real weakness for them and as a result a great collection. I got some great deals!

D graduates a week from monday - after that I have promised to make no more excuses for myself.

Hey judi, it is so great that you are home! Glad you go to do some touring. Alice, On Golden Pond was on TV yesterday - since you told me that you live near where that movie was filmed I picture in that rugged and beautiful landscape. Have you and DH gotten the canoe out yet?

Yesterday a.m. I did a quick kayak tour. It was a place I hadn't been since last year and it was nice to see it. It is where I took the picture of the wild hydrangea early last summer judi. They are just starting to form their heads now.

Well, need to get busy with something so I'll check in again later.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:35 AM   #15  

Angry Good morning.....

I did my workout for a second day using the walking video w/weights. For the time being I will just concentrate on getting fit and eating right and forget the scale.

ledom~Now you have an idea of the landscaping where I live. We live about 3 towns to the south from where they made the film. I have gone by the area many times where they tied to the dock to either go shopping or get gas, I forget which, as it has been quite a long time since I saw that movie We haven't taken our our canoe yet. Unless it stops raining the way it has been, we may need to take it out just to get around I'm glad you were able to get a kayak trip in.

judi~Yes, you have to just love dogs. That's sooo cute about Bentley kissing the phone when he hears your voice. Lacee has a new "thing" when we go out. I have a silk Ficus tree in the livingroom. It is in a wicker container, and around the base of the tree are white landscape stones. She's starting to take them out of the container and putting them on the rug! Now we have a dishtowel ontop of the container and have put a gate up so she can't get to it. I was afraid she's swallow a stone.

Shebacat~Where are you? I hope everything is going ok with you.

Hi Lana!

Take care.
Closed Thread