Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #1  

Question Getting started

Ok, I'm about 135 pounds overweight (I can't believe I just said that or that I'm in this fix!) and I'm getting ready to reacquaint myself with my (formerly!) lonely treadmill. It's something I can do in the morning and/or evening and still be available if my young daughter needs me, so I know it's something I can actually do. The question I have is, along with everything else, my arms -- especially my upper arms (yuch) have become huge. I can see the treadmill working for everything else, but what can I do at home to exercise (tone?) the arms as I'm losing weight. I'm telling myself I can lose this weight! so I'm trying to think ahead -- and I don't want those chicken wings or whatever they call them! Thanks in advance for the help.
WriterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #2  
taking it 1 day @ a time

S/C/G: 180/145/145

Height: 5' 8"

The first thing you want to focus on is what you're eating. Get at least 5 fruits and veggies every day (you should be getting 7), drink at least 64 ounces of water on days you're not working out (more water on days you are working out), lean meats, complex carbs (try to eliminate anything that's processed and/or white).

Cardio activity (your treadmill) will also work for your arms. Your body will get rid of fat all over through the cardio workouts you do. I'd suggest also implementing a strength training program (lifting weights) to help increase your metabolism (the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism).

If you want some ideas you can check out my wellness blog at<--linkosuction--> Or you can PM me! I'm happy to help in any way!

Good luck!
mommiesruletheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 151/152/128

Height: 5'6

I think a lot of people share your concern about what their skin will look like after they lose a bunch of weight. All the research I've done says to lose weight slowly so your skin has a chance to tighten with you; so you won't be left with chicken wings as you put it I have never heard that before! So funny!

Here is an arm sculpting series of moves from Shape Magazine. The middle one requires a machine you probably won't have at home, but the others you could do with a set of light weights:
http://www.shape.com/workouts/routines/90?page=3

search other online fitness magazines like shape or fitness for more moves, and good luck!
makeyourownplans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #4  

Red face Thanks

Thanks guys. Good ideas. I'm going to start on the treadmill. Even with the renovations at our house, as I've taken things downstairs I've made sure to not pile them on the treadmill and also to leave a path to it! I'm looking forward to the completion (they haven't started it yet) of the slight kitchen remodel because that will give us room for the side-by-side frig/freezer that I've long wanted. With this, I will be able to go back to shopping once a week (hopefully two weeks) at a time. Doing that will better enable me to plan, buy and cook ahead. Right now, with so little space in the frig and no working oven (the micro is getting a tad spacy too), I've taken to stopping (either grocery or fast food) on the way home to feed the family. You can just about guess how that's working out.
WriterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #5  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

it will def work for your arms, i can vouch for that one since i started running the weight on my arms ahs dropped off, i dont know if thats to do with me being a pear shape or not, but i was happy.
what i was also suggested is u can get very light hand weights to carry when your running, which tones your arms as u run, there only the weigh of small cans apparently, but do wonders for arms. good luck with your journey, dont be scared, its exciting, were all here to support you :-D
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote