Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Question New Runner - Would Appreciate Advice

I've decided that I'm going to start running to help boost my weight loss and general health. I've heard that good shoes are important, so I went ahead a bought a good pair. I would really appreciate any advice that someone could pass along, especially things like stretches, or what is a good beginner goal (1/4 mi?) Thanks!
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Welcome to running!
Have you heard of the Couch to 5K program? You can find it at:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
It is for real beginners. I like this program because it starts really easy and works up. I have never been a runner in my life, but I just finished week 6 of this program. Last night I ran for 25 minutes straight! I was so proud of myself! I never would have guessed that I could be a runner and actually enjoy it!
Best of luck,
Beth
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #3  

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seem that program yet. The program that I was planning on using is from Running Planet. <runningplanet.com/training/beginning-runner-program.html>
This will get me up to running 2 miles in eight weeks, which is great, since that is my mini goal for running.

I didn't want to start running earlier, as I was afraid that that extra 25lbs would make me more likely to injure myself, especially since I've never been very active. Do you mind my asking how much you weighed when you started running? We're the same height, and had close to the same starting weight, so I just wondered.

Last edited by MonteCristo; 04-18-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #4  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

I started running six weeks ago at about 190, pretty close to where you are!
There is a thread here on 3FC in the excercise section for people on the c25k (couch to 5K) program if you're interested in reading how other people are doing on it: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138627
You can also download music for the runs that tell you when to walk and when to run. I haven't used them, but I have seen that some people in this thread really like them.
Good luck!
Beth
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #5  

There are many plans to help you start running and I'll share with you how I started running. I could walk a mile in 15 minutes so my next step was to add a small amount of running with the walking to lower my walking time. Each time I did this, my goal was to finish that mile just a little bit faster. In no time, I could run the entire mile in 10 minutes. Once I got the first mile down, the second mile was much easier. So check out the different plans and see which will work for you. Good luck!
tresor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I started the c25k at 245lbs. I haven't been following the plan exactly but just aim to do a little more than the time before.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.5/219.5/180

Height: 6 foot

Congrats on your decision to start running. It is such a great way to burn calories and it definitely is a total body workout. Your shoes were a great way to start and are very important at preventing injury.

Since you asked for advice, my little nugget would be to start out relatively slowly to prevent injuries that will sideline you in the future. I started by running for 2 min and fast walking for 2 min. That way you work your body into the muscles that you use when you run and give your body a chance to rest. Plus...when you're working hard....2 min is totally doable! Then over a week or two you can increase to 3 min running and 2 min walking and start to build up over time until you are running without stopping.

Good luck on your new running venture and have fun....it's an awesome stress reliever!
BabyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:35 PM   #8  

Thanks for the imput BabyRN. The program that I'm going to use starts really slow. The first week you walk 5 minutes and then run for thirty seconds, plus there is two days of rest each week.

I'm so excited about this!