Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #1  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

Default Hamstring Tightness!?

About an hour after running my hamstrings get so tight that it is hard to even straighten my legs, the left side is always way worse than the right side, Before I run, I walked at least 5 minutes to warm up and then so some light stretching, and of course always stretch out good after running. My running is a variation of HIIT, I sprint for 45 seconds then walk for 1min 15 seconds, for 20 to 25 minutes, the walk 5 minutes to cool down before stretching. I do this 3 times a week. It DOES NOT hurt at all when I am running! When i first started this i was jogging for 25 to 30 minutes straight, then i started doing the intervals, at first my sprints were at 5.5 to 6.0mph. I am now up to 7.0 to 7.5mph. i have really short legs so for me that is going as fast as i can at this point. I do pilates and yoga as well and that really helps with the tightness, the days I do not run it does not bother me at all. its just the hours on the day following the run.

SO my question is, how do I stop it!?! LOL what can i do to prevent the hamstrings from getting so tight!!?? Thanks
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i think you may not be stretching long enough after or not doing the right stretching. HITS will really tighten the muscles. You should probably spend a good 10-15 min of stretching afterward. Making sure you focus on all leg muscles but expecailly the hammies. Also, make sure you drink plenty of water. You are probably getting a build up of lactic acid. Also make sure you stretch later that day and the next to help keep muscles limber. My hammies get very tight when i'm doing interval training...my pt does some really good stretches with me that really make a difference.

you may also look at making sure you shoes are good. Shoes play a vital role in exercise and helping prevent issues.

Hope that helped
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #3  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

well gettin enough water I know isnt the issue! i drink at least 64oz a day and on running days i drink more, my shoes are new, fitted at the running shoe store...so i guess that leaves more stretching..LOL! i will start stretching out more! thanks!!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

My guess would also be that you don't stretch long enough.... If your prone to being stiff maybe do some Yoga stretches before ... Here is a good video --- 3 PRE-RUN YOGA POSES (WITH VIDEO) What I really enjoy doing is a Yoga session right after running...Wow, I feel so awesome after that Downward dog really stretches the hamstrings...

Here are tome good ones for afterwards:

Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:25 AM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Another good stretch the standing hamstring stretch. Put your foot on a stool about 15 inches high with your leg straight. Then bend at the waist until you feel the stretch in your hamstrings. Hold for 30 seconds on each leg and repeat three times.

If you are running on a treadmill, you might also try setting it at a slight incline (1% to 2%). I have to be honest that I don't really know if this will help, but it's definitely good for your knees so maybe it will help with your hamstrings as well. It's worth a try. You may have to reduce your speed a little bit because of the incline, but you'll still be working just as hard.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #6  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

thanks for the stretching advice all! i will give these a try!