Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #1  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

Question Core Exercise Loathing

For the past 6 months (with very little variation), I have included one session weekly of core training in my exercise routine. For the past two-three months, I absolutely loathe doing these exercises. It is not because they are hard or challenging (some are, some aren't), they are just boring me to tears/death/into a coma. I really dread this one day of exercise. So my question is this...

At my current weight (264.5), do I really need to do these core exercises or could I get as much benefit by adding another day of cardio or strength training, or something else or should I just suck it up and do the core exercises?

Here my current workout schedule:
Monday - Lateral Motion Training (slide board - like ice skating)
Tuesday - C25K program (mostly running at this point 6 min walk/24 min run)
Wednesday - Strength training (3 sets/15 reps of 6 - 8 exercises working large muscle groups)
Thursday - C25K program (mostly running at this point 4 min walk/26 min run)
Friday - Off
Saturday - Core training (3 sets/16 reps of 14 - 16 exercises with balance & medicine balls)
Sunday - C25K program (mostly running at this point 4 min walk/26 min run)

I have yoga and pilates DVDs, however, finding a time when I am home and the TV is not occupied by other family members is nearly impossible. I am planning to join a gym in March so I could take yoga or pilates classes then but until then, what?

Any suggestions/ideas/experiences welcome.

Thanks,
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Why not change that day to whatever exercise you prefer & then break up the exercises you do for core & add them to the end of all your days. You could probably drop a couple - 14-16 core exercises seems like a lot. I do only a handful of exercises for core but do only a couple each workout.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
For the past 6 months (with very little variation),
I think you said it all in your first sentence... You should change your workout every 6 weeks it's no wonder you're bored tears/coma after 6 months... Google "core workouts" and you will get many sites with great workouts... Core is fun but you definitely need variety...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

You could integrate some core work into your weight training. For example, if you are doing bicep curls, do them sitting on a bench while holding your feet up. Or do shoulder presses while standing on a Bosu. There are lots of ways to work both your core and other muscles at the same time.

Another thought would be to spread your core exercises out over several days, instead of doing them all at once. So instead of spending an hour or however long you are spending on core exercises all an once, just add five to ten minutes of core exercises to what you are doing every day. This would also allow you to do the exercises at a higher resistance because you would only need to do them for five to ten minutes at time. I have a personal trainer and that is definitely his recommended approach to core exercises.

Last edited by BlueToBlue; 01-15-2008 at 11:07 PM.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:13 PM   #5  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

Thank you for the great options. I don't know why I never thought to spread the exercises over a few days but this is what I will try first. I really think this will help me stick with doing the core exercises and break up the monotony.

Thanks!!
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote