Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: healthy

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Heavier than I thought

I don't own a scale so I only have an estimate in my head depending on my measurements, clothing size, etc. The last two months I've been making small (SLOW) changes in my lifestyle with no real reference point weight-wise. Today I was at the sports medicine doc for hand/wrist pain and wandered out of the bathroom to find a scale staring me in the face. Now, normally I just walk on by, but today I was curious. With the good changes I've been making, I wanted a reference other than just measurements (take so long to change significantly) to tell me I'm on the right track. Based on my measurements, I had estimated to be around 170 AT THE MOST. Stupid scale at the dr's says I'm 179 . I know it's just a number, but it puts me that much further away from my goal. At least I know where I'm at, but ugh, it's frustrating!
misslis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #2  

I know how you feel. I remember years ago stepping on a scale at the gym and having my jaw literally drop when I saw the numbers. I'd estimated that I was about 160, and the scale said 172.

Don't be discouraged. I look at it this way: Whether I weigh myself or not, I'm the same weight. Stepping on the scale (or not) doesn't change my weight. In a way, it's good to know the truth. After I saw that 172, I was really strict about my eating.

Also, the bright side is that you've been making those positive changes.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yeah... rude awakenings. I agree with lynnm39--it's just a number. But it's better to know! And keep in mind, it's the change that's important, not the absolute.

There are lots of really good scales available in stores for not that much. It's good to have a scale that you always use. I use the one at my gym, but I'm going to buy one for home soon because I'm moving. I want to always use the same scale--otherwise I won't know where I'm at with the changes.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #4  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I know where you're coming from. I knew I'd put on a bit of weight, so I stood on the scale and read 168...fine, I'd put on 5 lb. Not a big deal. Then, a few weeks later, I realized I'd been misreading the scale (denial blindness?) and I was actually 188... OUCH! 25 lb? I freaked out, because I was suddenly faced with losing weight, not just "toning"...

The good news is, time always marches on, so if you're on a plan that's right for you, those numbers will continue to fall!
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #5  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

Be careful about scales at the gyms and where they are located. Scales that are around moisture (locker rooms, cardio rooms) will be inaccurate because of the humidity in the room. Better to have one at home that is kept in a dry environment.

Good luck! At least you accepted it and now you're ready to move on!
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Prior to my lifestyle change back in September, I avoided the scale for close to 15 years. That didn't work out so well. Yes, I didn't need the scale to tell me I was morbidly obese. I DID indeed know it. But I can't help but think had I just been AWARE of the numbers day in and day out, it might have woken me up from my nightmare a bit sooner.

I now weigh myself every single day and plan to do this indefinitely. I don't let the fluctuations bother me. It took me a while for that one. It just makes me again, aware and intune with my body. I NEED to know what's going on. Yes, I'm eating healthy and I don't need a scale to tell me that, but nevertheless it is an indicator of how things are going. It lets me know if I need to change things up or stay as I am. It's a reality check first thing in the morning.

So, I'm with Jay. I'd purchase a scale and use that one, certainly if not everyday then on some kind of regualr basis. Whether it be once a week or once a month.

You really are not further away from your goal. You're the same amount away. Now you just know it. Knowledge is power.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: healthy

Height: 5'7.5"

Aww, thanks for all the support ! At least now I know this will be my highest weight ever because I am committed to improving my lifestyle now more than ever. It doesn't change anything. I was gaining weight because I wasn't taking care of myself. I guess sometimes it really takes that number to make it official, though !

I definitely want to buy a scale now. I know myself well enough to know that I'll get the urge to obsessively weigh myself, but I think I'm disciplined enough to weigh just once a week . It can be motivating rather than daunting, especially with such a great support group!
misslis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Whether you are 170 or 179, you are the same SIZE.

Think positive - apparently you are one of those women who looks like they weigh less than they actually do! I'd take it!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote