Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:30 AM   #91  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning, all! We're having another scorcher -- the high today will be 105 and still no sign of rain anytime soon.

Stacey, you're in good company with the baseball talk! Vickie and I are big fans too and you won't find us complaining at all!

(See, I'm just sad that you're a Yankees fan but I guess someone has to be, huh?)

Well, here I sit at work but what I came to do didn't take me very long and I'm already done. I had to draw some lightning bolts on a graphic -- from the satellites to the different planes, from planes to the ground, from ground back to the satellite -- you get the picture. The graphics program is proprietary, and created just for this program to interface with the trainer, so it's pretty uh ... I think "awkward" is the only word that applies. Anyhoo, I finally got it and hope it suits the Air Force, who will be in here testing next week. ALL week. Ugh. I hate it when they come to town because it means Judd has to schmooze and entertain, which costs me a lot of money and I also have to do animal chores in the morning because he has to get to work very early to get right out on the test floor. Oh well. I'll live.

Let's see, what else? Yeah, Shaun is getting ready. Tomorrow we're going to finalize the packing and make sure he has all his razors, shampoo, deodorant, etc. They said don't bring anything else because you'll buy it there, but they also take like $450 out of your first paycheck to cover it. That seems like quite a lot to me for t-shirts and underwear and socks. Surely they aren't charging for his uniforms? Well, maybe so. I guess we'll see. Kate is coming to town to spend the night with her friend, and will be over tomorrow so she can tell him goodbye. That will be sad because those two get along much better than Shaun and Erin do.

I guess I'll go ahead and leave because I need to go to Barnes & Noble to get a book. There's a new plan I'm starting Monday morning (part of our two week challenge) ... called Fat Smash. It's basically this: for the first 9 days you eat fruits and vegetables, oatmeal, skim milk, beans and brown rice, egg whites, lowfat yogurt. After that you can add cold cereal, some artificial sweeteners, lean meat. I'm not sure how long that part lasts. Anyway, you can read the 3FC review here.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/Diets/Diet...at_Smash_Diet/

I guess that's it for now. Hope everyone has a nice Saturday!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #92  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning Chicks! It's a quiet Saturday here. Jim and I are just running the sprinklers and doing some organizing. I'm going to eat breakfast in a few minutes and then I need to make a grocery list. I'm not sure whether we are both going or just Jim. I think he's enjoying driving again and running out for small errands.

Sandra, to you for your 3 pound loss. It's so exciting for you to have that much success. You really do inspire me AND take away my excuses! I guess I just need to be willing to exercise and eat smaller portions. You should be very proud of yourself. I'm glad you're having fun redecorating. It's torture for me.

Frouf, the Ebay outfit is VERY you! I'd go for it if I could afford it. That would be a very nice dinner outfit. I hope you're feeling less tired today.

Niki, I'm glad you're happy with your hair. That is SO important to our well being. I pay $75 before tip for a cut/trim and color/wash/blowdry/style. Yours sounds high to me too.....I guess they think they can get away with it because your on LI? Have a SPECTACULAR time at the wedding and don't foget to bring us some pictures. I just know you are going to have a blast.

Stacey, I'm obsessed with baseball too. There are worse obsessions to have! It seems as though you ate quite Core at the party. I'd love to have the barley/mushroom/onion recipe. I desperately need some non potato side dish recipes that my husband will eat.

Ok ladies....I'm off to make a menu thread and eat breakfast....or brefix as Julianna calls it!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #93  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning, Kathy. I'm glad you're getting out of there already. You didn't mention your other dislike of when the Air Force comes. Don't you have to dress up too? Ugh. Enjoy your trip through the bookstore. When does Shaun actually leave Sunday or Monday morning?

Last edited by Vickie; 08-19-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #94  
focused and aiming

good morning. i'm trying to decide whether to weed the rosebeds or let them go a little longer. the weeds are growing so i need to make up my mind to just do it and get out there. guess it will be good exercise.

stacey, it's good to have you becoming a regular here. am i wrong or are all 3 of you chickies american league fans? are there any national leaguers here? i don't watch much baseball but am a rangers fan. when i was a high school varsity cheerleader coach, my girls won a competition and got to compete in a pregame show at texas stadium. nolan ryan pitched that night. i got to go up to the diamond vision room with the cassette tape that had the music the girls were performing to. i rode the elevator back down with governor bush. my girls were fantastic. that was a very very big night for all of us.

kathy, i know you have to be a little emotional this weekend with shaun's leaving. it will be both happy and sad for all of you. aren't you proud of him for taking this big step? give him a hug for me, too.

vickie, i'm feeling great. the added exercise had really made a big difference for me. yesterday's meeting was about making a change to help us. our leader asked each of us to make at least one change this week. right now i can't think of any to make. i think i've already done this the past few weeks. i saw a waterfall at walmart yesterday that looks real. it's on sale for $86 down from $115. i'm going to keep watching it. i'd love to have one out by our hummingbird area. (that's the kind of redecorating i really really like to do.)

have a good day all. the weeds are calling me.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #95  
Melissa

Hello friends! Just jumping in to catch up reading and say hi. We've been to our school orientation event all morning and just got home. It's raining (sorry Kathy) so I don't know what we're going to do with the rest of our afternoon. I think I'll go to the store to get some PC supplies and recipe ingredients. If I find anything core I'll be sure to share.

Frouf, sorry they won't ship that outfit to Canada. It looks fabulous! I've always been afraid to wear sequins, but I think a cruise would definitely warrant some sparkle!

Kathy, glad you're getting out of work today. I'm going to read about that fat smash, that sounds interesting. Good luck getting Shaun ready...I know you'll be relieved to have things finally up and going.

Sandra, I'm still so impressed with you gf. I'm SO proud of you, and that we are no longer two peas in a pod. Maybe I'll come catch up with you and we can do that again. Enjoy weeding today! Great exercise!

Stacey, I don't even know if I have taken the time to say hello!! Hi there! I promise you I'm a regular, things have just been kind of crazy for me lately. I'm so glad that you have joined us!

Vickie, I hope that you and Jim have a great, relaxing day. I'm so sorry that Jim didn't get to show his stuff off for the millionaire auditions. I hope that he tries again in the future.

Niki, have fun today!

Did I tell you all that DH and I are trying to find a fitness activity that we can do together? We aren't athletes, so it is kind of difficult. But he really wants to try mountain biking!! So I think we might actually do it. The only issue is $ for bikes, but maybe we can find some that are used or something. Of course we'll just start on trails and whatnot, but it sounds pretty cool. And good exercise of course. After our vacation we just decided that we really want to be more active, whether that's hiking or working in the yard or bowling. So that's a great thing.

OK I better get to doing something productive. I hope that you are all having an awesome weekend!
Old 08-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #96  
focused and aiming

melissa, mountain biking sounds like a lot of fun. you two will enjoy that. have you looked in paper ads? garage sales? i'm sure you'll find something that's right for you.

we are still 2 peas in a pod. you and i are alike in more ways than just weightloss. (which you'll start doing when you get your bikes.) i think a big key to weightloss success is finding an activity that's fun and you can look forward to doing. sounds like ya'll are on your way.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #97  

Melissa ... a word of warning. Don't let Judd go with you to buy your bikes.

He had a crash this morning on a road rally (charity race) and messed up his road bike. He has a newish mountain bike that he uses during the week on the trails, but on Saturdays he uses his road bike. Sigh ... so we just got home from the bike store and he spent $1,200 on a new one. Yep. He sure did.

We also went to lunch with the inlaws to Abuelos and it was very good. I had a big salad with fruit and shrimp and honey-lime dressing. You all know how I love my strawberry/lettuce/shrimp salads! When I get on a kick, sometimes I can't stop.

And this morning after work when I went to B&N to get my book, would you believe they didn't have any? Seems they're quite popular and they have trouble keeping them. The girl told me she could put me on a waiting list but didn't know how long it would be before they got more. I said that's okay, I'll keep looking. I'm going to order it from Amazon.

Vickie -- good memory, girlfriend! I *hate* dressing up! Normally we're so secluded and nobody sees us because we're in a secure area that you have to have special access to. There are only 50 of us who have the SAR clearance in addition to our secret clearance. But when they're here (and don't you know they're wearing flight suits -- jumpsuit type things that look SO comfy!) we're wearing business casual. We NEVER have business dress unless you're actually briefing or on the test floor, but then it's just ties for guys, dresses for girls. As it is now, I can get by with most anything ... capris included ... as long as it's not denim. I'll live.

Sandra, you have a point there! Yes, we're all American League unless we have someone who's a National League fan who hasn't spoken up! We have some tickets that we need to use up, so I'm sure when the Rangers get back to town we'll be going to a few games. And what COOL memories you have of that game! OMG! That must have been a great time!

Well, I'm going to make homemade pizza tonight. Regular crust for Erin and Shaun and whole wheat for Judd and I, so I need to go mix up the dough and let it be rising while I go to the store for a few things. I bought some strawberries this morning and Erin said that about half of them were bad. I should take them back but instead I'll just buy some more, but not from the same store.

Be back later!
Old 08-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #98  
focused and aiming

kathy, thank goodness judd is all right. he must have gotten a cadillac-type bike. curtis and i have bikes, too. mine is a boomer baby bike. i bought it off an ad i saw on tv. it has automatic gear shifting. (and a big seat)

is abuelos a mexican food restaurant? i've never heard of it before.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #99  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Hi chickies,

Sleepy froufie here!

Trivia Games night ended very late! (like midnight!) but it was a blast! We played 'scene it' - a dvd tv/movie trivia game (that you play using your dvd/tv as it on screen) and Turbo Cranium (turns out I am a good actress and a whiz at spelling backwards - who knew!). I did have a hot dog and FRIES for dinner - but was not that hungry when the snacks appeared (veggies/dip, salsa/chips, cheese/crackers - and later chocolate fondue w/fruit and cookies).

Had lots of fun looking at Andrea's place she lives in the 1st level of what was once a 3 storey home - 100 years old - the rooms are HUGE and amazing - lots of wood panelling and even one of those old claw footed soaker tub in what was once the 'servants quarters'. The funniest coincidence was her taste in art - as I found 2 pieces made by same artist I have in my home - very freaky.

I also 'reviewed' her luggage and some formal clothing - she has a small rolling suitcase and rolling duffle bag - I would be hard pressed to get all my stuff in there!!!

I am feeling a bit drooppy today of course - was up at 8 am despite going to bed around 1:30 am - so at around 2 pm I was losing it - went to lie down around 2:30 pm and slept on and off til 5! I am still in my jammies - can you believe it! So nothing got done today but that's okay - it's a bit gloomy and just started raining - and dh is talking about ordering in chinese food!!!! I am not really hungry yet tho but feeling very dehydrated so must drink lots of water!

Niki - have a great time at the wedding! ...and I won't even tell you how much my hair costs!!!!

Kathy - keep cool, calm and collected - hope Judd's bike is one SUPER DUPER GORGEOUS THING!! Good luck getting Shaun ready to go.

Rose - never got the pics - altho I was having some computer trouble it seems!

Melissa - moutain biking or any other activity sounds like a great idea! Hope you can find something you both love to do!

Sandra - I too heard something - then realized it was the weeds calling your name! Hope you got rid of all of them.

Angela - how's the sinus infection? Hope you got some relief - been to any good 'raids' lately?

As for that sequin outfit - yes it would have been perfect - and I find it so amazing and disappointing when people won't ship to Canada - it's not like we're on another planet - or even continent! Harumphhhhhh..............

Okay - must find water...................

Frouf
Old 08-19-2006, 07:23 PM   #100  
focused and aiming

frouf, i don't know why they won't ship to canada. the buyer pays for the shipping. doesn't make sense to me. sounds like you had a great time last night. i'd be sleepy, too. two grocery bags of weeds are no longer calling. i got one bed cleaned. the grands are coming tonight so i'm finished weeding for the day. i'll get back out there in a day or so just in case the neighbors start complaining about all the calling sounds.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #101  
Melissa

Hi guys!

Kathy, I'm glad Judd is okay. I didn't realize that he was biking--I thought he was riding a motorcycle. I just didn't think about it. 1200--I can't imagine!! I'm swallowing hard at the thought of paying $150. Your pizza sounds great.

Frouf, glad you had a good time last night. I know you're going to have a great trip!

Sandra, great job on the weeding. That is hard work.

I'm so excited, I finally got my own PC website today. It's pretty expensive, but I'm trusting that it will pay off. I guess I can post it here...www.pamperedchef.biz/MelissaAustin
I'm getting nervous about doing my first show. I'm going to be around a whole lot of non-core foods, that's for sure. That's why I know I must up the physical activity, and counteract being around all that food! But I'll also be more active, and hopefully it will help release some work stress, so that will help too.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:31 PM   #102  

I am checking out your website immediately, Melissa! There are things I need; as my family thinks I am "yeast obsessed" ... what with bread and homemade pizza dough and whatnot.

The bike is super gorgeous. Now remember that I have a $78 bike from Walmart! And yes, he does his motorcycle rides (rides to work several days a week, then goes on 80-100 mile rides about every third weekend) but he and his friend also do these fund-raiser bicycle rides in the summer. Seems like there's one every weekend. He has a skinned knee and a place on the inner thigh which will no doubt be a pretty bruise tomorrow.

And tomorrow. He has a day with the fellas ... it's fantasy football draft day! Woohoo. Not interested. Football is my LEAST favorite sport of all, maybe because of the Cowboys. We pay $85 to go watch a bunch of millionaires play a game??? Who's the dummy there?

Frouf, please excuse me, but actually I understand why people don't ship to Canada. I'm usually in a big hurry when I ship my ebay since it's not my principal job, and I'm probably on my lunch hour. To get in line, then get the forms, fill them out, get back in line ... no thanks. I always say U.S. only. When they make the mailing process easier, then I'll reconsider.

The pizza was a huge success. I let the dough rise twice, which made a better crust. For the kids, I put just pepperoni and cheese. For us, I used minced garlic, purple onion, orange bell pepper strips, sliced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, sauce and cheese. Judd said next time how about no tomatoes or peppers? I'm fine with that! He is happy with just mushrooms and onions (and jalapenos, which I totally forgot) and said the crust was very, very good. I have the recipe if anyone's interested. With it being whole wheat and containing nothing but water, yeast, whole wheat flour, some sugar to activate the yeast (but could we use Splenda?) and 1 T. olive oil, how bad could it be?? FF mozzarella, sauce should be Core ... I mean, come on! It's a no brainer and a very good meal!

While the dough was rising I went out and pulled some weeds in the front flower beds. The grass is threatening to take over and every year I say I'm going to be better. This year, I just haven't wanted to go outside! I will work on it a bit every night though and keep it up. No reason not to. I can spare 15-20 minutes each night while dinner is cooking to maintain it.

Shaun has everything packed. Judd's mom gave me $20 to give him from her; for airport incidentals, etc. They're not supposed to take money but I think they mean a LOT of money. He leaves here around 1 p.m. Monday, goes to MEPS, where they do another drug test and then go to a hotel. They fly out at noon on Tuesday and go to Chicago, where they wait for all cities to arrive. He said they would probably be in the Chicago airport (O'Hare? Midway? Who knows?) until around midnight, waiting on everyone to arrive. Then it's a 45 minute bus ride from the airport to Great Lakes, where they'll start processing immediately and not be allowed to go to bed until Wednesday night. I say good luck with that.

Sandra, here is Abuelos. Means Grandfather in Spanish (you probably know that). There is one on I-20 in Arlington near the Parks Mall, and another in Hurst near Northeast Mall. I'm sure there are more in the metroplex, but those are the ones we go to. It's very good.

I ordered my book from Amazon -- hopefully I'll get it before the first phase of Fat Smash is over.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #103  

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the welcome Melissa. I feel very lucky to have found you all. The support is very important.

Well, my Yankees one the third of five games against the Red Sox today. I've been a fan since I was a kid. My dad and brother are both Yankee fans and when I met my husband (in a hospital no less) he worked for the Yankees. I used to visit him at the stadium and see all the players like Mattingly, Guidry, Winfield and Baylor. I have lots of autographs. A couple of times we've gone to games and our daughters wound up on diamond vision. They were so excited.

Vicki, I'll get that Barley recipe for you. She said it was so simple, just barley, finely chopped onions and mushrooms and lots of liquid. I'll get a more specific recipe and post it for you.

Froufy, I love Scene It. We have a couple of versions including Harry Potter and Disney. I actually won the TV version on a radio contest.

I'm going to play some dominos on Pogo and then read. My book club meets in 3 weeks and I'm only half way through the book. Have a good night everyone.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #104  

A few years ago we went on vacation to New York because DH's sister lived in Schenectady at the time. We visited them for a while, and went to Cooperstown during MLB induction week, and then we went to Manhattan for a week or so. We went to a Yankees game and it was GREAT! I loved the ambiance of the stadium, and riding the subway to The Bronx. The whole experience was very memorable and my girls still talk about it. We were there exactly a month before 9/11. We went to the WTC and it was freaky seeing it all on TV, especially since we had just been there.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #105  
Melissa

Oh my goodness. I just typed a huge post and lost it. I'm such a doof.
Closed Thread