Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #286  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I would love an organizing party too (as I sit here surveying the "piles" of stuff dh has left around the bedroom!). Let us know what happens!

Saundra - congrats on doing so well at dinner - sounds like you gs is a cutie - and 3 is such a fun age!

I always pack too much it is such a challenge not to throw in thos extra little things that you think you'll need - and then of course never use them!

I heard brokeback mountain is very good - dh wants to see Narnia but I so afraid of being disappointed. I remembe reading The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe as a young child - along with some of the other books and absolutely loving them and being very influenced by them at the time. I don't want to see the movie as an adult cuz I'm afraid it will change my "image" and memories of it? Weird I know!

Kathy - how sad for that family to lose everything - I can't even imagine a tiny spark doing all that damage - keep watering!

Patti - how was the card party? Hope you had fun!

Vickie - good luck w/the roast - my kids like the leftover in sandwiches - you could always make a soup or just freeze them for another time?

As for the cheese fondue - well don't even say those words cuz I can barely stomach hearing them (pun intended). Of course the manicure thing was late, never got to eat my pre-dinne snacks so I was VERY HUNGRY when I got there - and we were even late!

Started with these smoked salmon/lf cream cheese appetizers - now you know how I LOVE smoked salmon - so I sure filled up on these. Then gf made me a Kir Royale (creme de cassis/blackcurrant w/sparkling wine) and that's when all **** broke loose - I blame it on the demon liquor

Salad was core, but not the fondue - here I am dipping these huge chunks of toasted white bread into a vat of cheese - it was yummy - but so rich that I was not feeling that great when we got home! Also had a glass of wine!...and guess what was for dessert? CHOCOLATE FONDUE (yes melted dark chocolate w/whipping cream) - thankfully I was too full to do too much damage - lots of lovely fruit tho and great coffee to enjoy.

The fun part was that they had set up dinner in the family room (card table) next to a roaring fireplace - it was so warm and cozy and very nice to catch up with my gf on the latest happenings (the guys were busy with their own high tech lingo).

Ya I felt a bit queasy when I got home, realizing maybe not a good idea to eat that much cheese! Went to bed around 1:30 am so still feeling tired, but I did manage to do my floor exercises this morning...oh and I almost forgot - I also did 45 MINUTES on the treadmill yesterday in preparation for the dinner.....obviously it was not enuf? ha ha ha Will try and get on again later today for as long as possible!!!

I knew better than to get on the scale today - in fact PMS week is not a good time to weigh at all - so I shall try to be strong and limit my obsessive behaviour!

Doing laundry and heading to the grocery store soon (need to eat first?). Not much else planned unless dd wants to go see Memoirs of a geisha movie? I know she has a dance rehearsal later today as well! I can't believe it's monday tomorrow!

Almost forgot - have BEAUTIFUL french nails today - and already booked another appt in 2 weeks as manicure lady is cruising (the same cruise I am still trying to book!). Told me some very sad stories - one of her clients aged 47 just passed away from breast cancer - and another lady there was talking about her husband, who had throat cancer - recently had some skin graft surgery - and was not DOING well at all - altho back home after a month in hospital - and he is only 51!! So I am reminding myself and everyone else out there to COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS! The only thing that really matters is good health!...and don't wait to do the things you want to do - now is the time - you never know what the future has in store!!!

Frouf
Old 01-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #287  

Height: 5'7"

Holy cow, an organizing party would be GREAT! I can't wait to find out more about it.

Vickie, I went to the dollar store yesterday and thought about you. I was looking for glass piggy banks, you know the kind of you have to break to get into them. I'm going to put 3 in the closet and put my change in there this year, saving for Christmas next year. I might even put 4 of them and let the 4th be for a trip of some sort. I always save my change but in a jar and it's too easy to get back into. I want to try to leave it alone. Anyway, I got laundry baskets and pizza cutters and a shower curtain liner, Soft Soap, freezer bags and some really big water jugs. I'm going to add the water jugs to gifts for two friends at work who have birthdays this week.

Judd has gone riding today. Oh and Shaun has bronchitis. I found out last night that he had gone to the doctor Thursday. I knew he didn't have any money (and no medical insurance) so I asked how he paid for it. He had used his Christmas money. I thought I was going to cry. Judd went to CVS and got him some Gatorade and OTC cold symptom medicine. He hadn't told us he was sick but Judd heard him coughing and when I told Erin he was sick, she's the one who told me he went to the doctor. Then I went up to talk to him and find out how he was. Poor thing is really sick.

Erin had to work 13 hours yesterday because one of the other pharmacy techs got in a fight with a customer Friday night and was asked to leave the store. (Employee, not customer). And then she didn't show up for work yesterday. Sounds like her days are numbered there. Erin said it was the employee's fault -- she was yelling at the customer and the customer was calm. Can you imagine? I would have fired her on the spot if she was my employee.

Dogs are hungry and I have to figure out what I'm eating today. The scale is still 153 so if it's like that in the morning, I'll have to change the ticker and re-evaluate.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #288  

Froufy, your dinner sounds like my kind of eating! I am SO jealous! I'm glad you had a very nice time.

You're so right about staying healthy. Like they say, if we don't take care of our bodies, we won't have any place to live! It's good that we're all cognizant of the concept, even though lots of times it doesn't seem like we're making headway. Just becoming aware of what we should and shouldn't do is progress.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #289  

Alrighty, here's my first plan of attack on the house fire situation.

I'm headed to Walmart to get a bunch of snacks and easy food for them to have in their hotel room. I guess I'll get things like bread, peanut butter, soft drinks, cookies, chips, cheese crackers, and some fruit. I also need to include some baggies and a chip clip. Next I'll go to Target to get a big plastic storage bin to put it all in. Then I'll go to the dollar store and get laundry baskets and some of those other things I found yesterday. They had a whole lot of kitchen implements.

Any other ideas? The family has gone to Target this morning to buy some clothes and underwear. A few of the neighbors bought the little boy a new bike and helmet to try and take his mind off of what all he has lost.

Oh and I think I'll get some of those plastic shoeboxes so they can start organizing their things. Hopefully it'll make them not feel so out of control (I know it would help me if I were the one in that situation) to be able to sort and separate their things. Also then they can use them later, after they get in another house.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:50 PM   #290  
Melissa

Kathy, I wonder if they might need a camera to take pictures of damage or other things? That's not a very happy gift, but it might be helpful. Also, what about headphones for the kids or maybe some books? Or a throw blanket to make the hotel seem more cozy? Just some thoughts.

Vickie, I can't say I know that much about the background of Narnia, but it was written by C.S. Lewis, a prolific Christian author. The Lion in the book/movie is a metaphor if you will of Jesus. It is a really great story as it is, but with that knowledge it is very powerful. Anyway, I recommend it.

Frouf, sounds like you had fun last night, despite being a little too full?

Lisa, There were a lot of kids in the theater last night. I can't remember how old your kids are but I thought some of the movie would have been too much for very young children. There are battle scenes and some kind of scary scenes. It is not gorey at all, but has some quite intense moments. Just a heads up.
The organizing party sounds like fun! I have often thought that I would love to be a professional organizer. Don't really know how you get into something like that though!

We are home from church and eaten lunch...we're going to laze around for probably most of the day, and then we're going out to dinner with some friends. I know two nights in a row. We aren't really excited about going tonight, but feel like we should.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #291  

Afternoon all,
Ive been using a laptop this weekend, (used to be Dds) and its so much faster then my old pc. I didnt even know Foufs bunny danced! Ive never seen it do that before..haha. Course Im still on dialup. Kathy, what about having them over for supper or lunch? They would need to get out of thier room once in a while. Thats very nice of you to do this....
The cards were so much fun.....we havent gotten together in years! We used to do this once a week prob 10 years ago. We had alot of laughs.
Melissa, that seems to be the *in* thing nowadays. Especially on tv,,with all the organizing shows on. Maybe its something you could check into? Is there any info online,,,you could come practice on my house if you like! Im so organized at work but when it comes to the house,,Im not so good.
Have some laundry to do and get into a good book Im reading. Sounds like a lazy afternoon to me..
have a good one everyone!!
Old 01-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #292  

Dumb question. How do you copy and paste.
Well a quite day so far today. We are going to go to some friends later on today. Hubby is taking a nap now. He is kinda tired. Guess the last few days have caught up with him.
So far to eat today. 2 slices diet bread with the deer sauage and ff cheese. A slim fast bar, a apple, a banana, and Chef salad, and a bake potato with a little sour cream.
Our son took us out to eat today. So the salad and potato was the best choices. Well they had a grilled chicken sandwich with fries. But to sub anything you had to pay extra. So just went with the salad and potato.
The sun is trying to shine here today.
I am going to try and go to KMart this week and put me a Gazelle on lay away. They have a new one. Hubby thinks it would be good. But heck the thing cost $200. So I hope it is good. So hopefully I can get there this week.
Well I wont post too much. So if this doesnt go through.
I hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday.
coco
Old 01-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #293  

Alrighty, I'm home now. Here's what I did.

1. First I went to Walmart and got a lot of snacks and a tub. I also got a pad of paper and some pens. Took them to the house and when I walked up, the owner was there. He looked like he was just so overwhelmed. I told him what all was in the tub, and when I mentioned the paper and pens I thought he was going to cry. He said they had just said they needed something to write on and with.

2. Then I left and went to 7-11. Got a styrofoam cooler, case of bottled water and ice. Then to Walgreens and got a box of disposable gloves and some trash bags. Finally, to CVS and got a disposable camera. I took all that to the house and again, they are just overwhelmed. The wife loved the gloves and the husband put someone to work with the camera.

3. Then I went back to Walmart and got more bread, lunch meat and cheese, chips, cookies, and bags. Now I'm making food to take back.

They might be getting tired of me, but I doubt it (and if so, don't really care!). I keep playing this over and over in my head and the homeowners are US. I can't imagine losing every single possession within just a few hours, and thru no fault of my own! If I can do just one thing that will make their lives better right now, then I'll do it.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #294  

Coco, there's no such thing as a dumb question. Not one of us was born knowing everything we know -- someone had to teach us.

Highlight the area you want to copy. Right click and you'll get a little box that says "copy". Then go somewhere else, wherever it is, and right click again. You'll see "paste."

You can also use "control C" and "control V" but that might be another lesson for another day.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #295  

KATPO You are a angel. I know those people are so grateful to you. You probably are making them feel not all is lost. They still have friends that care.
They are probably just so overwhelmed. And they need all the comfort they can get. I will keep them and you in my prayers.
coco
Old 01-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #296  
focused and aiming

saundra, 63 wpa's!!!! let me get to goal!!!!!!!!!!! congratulations on losing 22 lbs. you're no oldy. that's for sure.

kathy, you twinkie girl. i am proud of you, too. you are a very active person. i don't think those extra lbs will ever find you again.

coco, you might try copying your post before you click to send it. i do that sometimes just in case.

vickie, enjoy your day. a movie sounds good. curtis and i will be watching football again. i'm actually the fball fan here. he's catching on, though.

melissa, i am due for a good tear-jerker but i don't think curtis would go see narnia. we'll prob wait and rent it. that way we'll use subtitles. sometimes we have probs hearing everything. we used them for lord of the rings. it was wonderful having the help.

lisa, can you share some organizing tips with us? goodness knows i need some.

frouf, my nails are already chipping. i think i did too much kitchen work the same day i got them done. oh, well. life goes on. sounds like you had a great time last evening. don't worry about scales. tom is prob wreaking his havoc on you.

kathy, that's a good idea of getting the glass piggy banks. did you fine some? i read a short story one time about a man who always saved his change. he put his kids through college, etc with change. now was that fiction or what! you're doing wonderful things for those folks. i am proud to know you.

patti, your card gathering sounds like fun. i don't get together with women friends very much. in fact, i'm the only female who's been shooting at archery league.

i hear curtis moving around downstairs. i need to go spend some time with him. ya'll have a good evening.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #297  

i'm home now. After four trips to the burned house, I think they're confident that I'm willing to help out wherever necessary so they'll call when they need something.

I just love it when things work out like this though -- I made those sandwiches thinking nobody would want them, but when I drove up and told them what I had, they said they were just saying how hungry they were. Talk about timing!

Now I'm going to give them some time to sort thru and rest. I just can't imagine how horrible this must feel to them.

My whole day that I planned didn't happen. I am doing a load of dishes right now and one load of laundry, but that might be all that I get done. I have to start thinking about our dinner soon ... and maybe get some rest for the long week ahead.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:42 PM   #298  

Afternoon ladies! We're back from our little weekend trip. It was really nice to get away, but I, of course, worried about the girls way too much. I'm happy to be home.

My eating was not the best, although I did pretty well at the restaurant. I had the grilled salmon and rice pilaf, side salad w/the dressing on the side, diet soda etc. But the rest of the time, not so good. Oh well, that's what tomorrow is for, right?

Angela
Old 01-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #299  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hi Chicks! I just popped in to read for two minutes while my dinner is cooking. Froufie's roast in in the oven and I gotta tell you, it smells SPECTACULAR! I'll be back to post and respond after dinner. Gotta go mash potatoes and steam green beans!

Kathy, you ARE an Angel! I think what you are doing is wonderful.

Angela, glad you had fun. I missed you! You'll get back on the wagon. I know you will.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:16 PM   #300  
Melissa

Kathy, what you've done is so great. It will come back to you tenfold, I'm sure!

Vickie, I would love to be munching on a roast. I can almost smell it.

Sandra, hope you are having fun with your honey. I don't know that Narnia would make everyone cry, but it did me.

Angela, glad that you had a good weekend. I'm sure that you didn't indulge enough to do any harm. You'll get right back on track!

Well we are going to be going to dinner soon with some friends. I'm trying to look forward to it! They are people I've known for a long time but aren't real close to--we're just really different. But there's nothing wrong with that!

Oh, and did I mention that I took off work tomorrow?!?! But I do have to go to the GYN!!
Closed Thread