Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 03:59 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Do you have a sister?

Okay, I promise not to be dramatic here, but I just need to tell you this. If you have a sister, and you don't really get along with her for one reason or another, could you call her anyway and tell her you love her?

I just finished my umpteenth lecture to my girls about getting along. It's like they hate each other, but it only bothers my older one and she cries when the younger one is mean to her. I told them that the day will come when they WANT a sister but it'll be too late.

Not a day goes by ... and listen, because I'm serious about this. Not a DAY goes by where I don't think about picking up the phone and calling my sister with a question, or a joke, or a recipe, or an opinion, or just to hear her talk. But I can't, because she isn't here any more. I can't even impress on them how important it is to value what you have when you have it ... because you never know when you won't have it anymore.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:03 PM   #2  
Melissa

Kathy, your words bring tears to my eyes. I have a 2 year old (half) sister. But we all have people who are in our lives that we take for granted. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #3  

I have two sisters, one slightly older, one 8 years younger. We get along famously, and I am ever grateful for the love and friendship I get from my sisters.

A long time ago, my little sister bought me a plaque for Christmas one year. It was cheap, but I cherished it for a long time. It said, "There is no dearer friend than a sister." When she got married last March, I gave it back to her. It made her cry!

Thanks, Kathy, for reminding us to not take our sisters for granted.

Angela
Old 10-13-2005, 04:22 PM   #4  

Great point....I never had a sister, only a brother (a BOY). I always wanted a sister, always knew my life would have just been better. Then I got married and a DSIL who never had a sister either, my prayers were answered.....Then I my brother got married and I got another one, another gift from God.
Right now on my right arm, I have a braclett and a watch made with beautiful crystals that my brothers wife, my dear DIL made for me. On my left arm I have a Tiffany braclett that my other DSIL gave me.......Thank God for DSIL's.....
Old 10-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #5  

Star, bless your heart. That is a great sentiment and makes me get teary-eyed. Sisters can come from all directions, can't they? I hope your DSILs know how precious they are to you.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:30 PM   #6  

Kathy - Yes, they both know........I just lucked out totally....
My Tiffany DSIL was my first DH's sister. My 1st DH passed away 10 years ago, but that didn't change feelings between DSIL and me. Last summer that DSIL flew me and my new husband, my boys and their families to Park City, UT for a small family reunion......
Old 10-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #7  
Southside White Sox Fan

I'll be sure to tell mine tonight when I see her for her birthday dinner. The other one I'm not so close with. I'll call her tomorrow. You're so very right.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:45 PM   #8  

Hi Katpo,

You are so right about this, but I just wanted to tell you, don't worry to much about your girls now. I have two sisters. I am 27, my little sister is 21 and my baby sister is 18. I was in a weird position being 6 and 9 years older than my sisters so I was usually in a kind of authority position so my middle sister and I fought TERRIBLY as she got older. To the point where one Christmas I walked out of my mom's house and left. My middle sister and my baby sister, being closer in age, also fought, like cats and dogs. It was exhausting at times, and I'd have each of them coming to me about the other. I would have said at one time my middle sister and I hated each other and at one time my middle and baby sister definitely hated each other.

Now, we are so close and would die for each other. I talk to my sisters almost every day on the phone and they come over to my house and stay the night frequently. We tell each other everything and support each other in everything. My middle sister and baby sister actually go out to clubs together all the time, go to parties together and have the same group of friends now!

I'm just telling you this because at certain points I thought I would always hate my sister and my mom and I worried that my two sisters would never have a close relationship, but when you teach love and you teach the importance of family, it comes out alright, and beautiful. My mom taught us that from the time we were little, and she said the same thing to us you are saying, that one day, we will be the most important thing to each other. And because of her guidance and example I believe we are where we are now. You sound to me like you are the same kind of mother, and I'm sure your daughters will reflect that later on.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #9  
Determined

Kathy - thanks for your post, it reminds me of how grateful I am for my sister. We are best buds!! However, when we were younger that was definitely not the case. I'm the older one and have always been the more "sensitive" one. She used to scratch, hit, throw stuff at my brother and I, you name it. She was evil . Now we just laugh about those times. So don't worry about your daighters, I think it's just a phase.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:14 PM   #10  
focused and aiming

beautiful post, kathy. keep your memories close. you are so lucky to have had such a wonderful relationship with your sister. i've never had a sister. i have some close, wonderful friends, though.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:30 PM   #11  

You are all making me cry. Just remember to treat your family like you would your best friend ... don't take them for granted because they might not be there tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:52 PM   #12  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Kathy,
What a lovely thread. I have three wonderful sisters. I'm the oldest and the youngest is 16 years younger than me. The four of us didn't have a lot in common when we were younger and we annoyed the heck out of each other in all sorts of ways too morbid to go into here. Now, although they live far away from me, we keep in touch and I count on them as my best friends who really do know how I think. E-mail has been a saving grace for all of us.

With your own daughters, I hope they'll grow up a bit and fit in with each other better.
It just takes time and maturity. The responses on this thread made me feel homesick for my sisters.
Judy
234.6/209.4/thinner into onederland
Old 10-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #13  

Thank you all so much for your kindness. You can't imagine how much I miss my sister. Sometimes it takes my breath away with the finality of it.

I wish someone had warned me that I could lose her. All I can do now is tell other people that nothing is forever.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:12 PM   #14  
Melissa

Old 11-30-2005, 02:13 PM   #15  
jadelovesthin

Thumbs up

hi i read your non dramatic paragraph and find it very very true everyone today takes most things for granted unless they have lost some one special to them. thank though you kind of reminded me that i have not been to see my mother for a long time. your daughters will get closer with such a wonderfull mother like you there is not doubt at all in my mind. take care and tanks for reminding me . xxxxxxxxxx
Closed Thread