Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #1  

Default Delurking with a question ..

Hi there ,

I've flitted around 3FC for awhile but never posted much (Dr. Phil, WW) and mainly lurk. I'm on a couple of other boards regularly and pop in here and BCB to make sure I'm doing CORE right (I don't do meetings).

Here's my question .. is anyone doing CORE and not losing? I decided to switch to CORE back in mid-July. I got the huge list that BCB had on what you can eat. I love CORE, have lost my sweet tooth (well, except around TOM, but even then it's not bad), use my WAP's and try to get in some exercise. I lost 5-6 lbs. the first week and since then I've only lost 3 more lbs. . I feel like I'm doing everything right according to the board I'm on, BCB and here, but this is ridiculous to have not lost anymore than that. I keep the 8 Healthy Guidelines in check, drink water, etc. I need to lose about 75 lbs. (I weigh 220 now), so I'm nowhere near goal.

It's very frustrating as I am so pleased with everything else about CORE. I stop eating when I'm satisfied or get "the sigh", have loved not thinking about food, how many points I have left for the day, etc. My clothes feel better, but I haven't really even gone down a size. I was so hoping to be in Onderland again by the end of the year, but it's obviously not going to happen. I'm coming to the conclusion that my body is simply accustomed to this weight and it ain't ever budging . Although I'm happy for them, it depresses me to see people who've been doing CORE for way less time than me and have lost way more than me, know what I mean?

I apologize for delurking and ranting. I'm just curious to see if anyone else (maybe other lurkers) have this problem. It's driving me nuts! Thanks for reading if you got this far !
Old 11-02-2005, 03:30 PM   #2  
Melissa

Lavender, thanks for delurking! We always love to see new "faces." As far as your problem goes, it sure is a doozie. It sounds like you are doing everything right. The only suggestion I can think of is to up the amount of exercise that you are doing. Another idea might be doing a "core wendie" plan. A few of us have tried this. All it means is that you distribute your 35 wpas specifically across the week. I will bump the thread where we discussed it. It might help, I don't know. It's worth a try! Good luck to you, and I hope that you will continue to delurk.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #3  

Thanks for your reply, Melissa . I did read the Core Wendie plan when it came out on here (thanks for bumping it). I'll look it over again. I've tried using the flex points plus AP points when I do exercise, not using the AP points, etc. It just seems nothing's working and it's quit annoying to say the least . I love eating this way and can't not eat this way , so I keep hoping all of a sudden it'll begin melting away .

Thanks again
Old 11-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I havn't been doing core for as long as you but I too love it and love the food. When I first switched I was worried about over eating so I still journaled just so I could see what I was eating. I know you probably won't gain if you overdo it on spinach but some of the other things are high calorie. It might be a good idea to journal, not necessarily count your points or anything but journal and you can analiyze what you are doing and try and figure out a pattern or where it can get tweeked.
I was in the same boat as you but on flex for a long time, I basically just stayed the same so I know how it feels.
Keep at it.
Jennie
Old 11-03-2005, 11:39 AM   #5  

Hi Jennie, thanks for your reply .

I've been journaling since I started doing CORE as I'm on another board where we keep journals. Even if I don't post it there, I'm still keeping track of what I eat as well as keep track of my WAP's. I've been a little off for the last two weeks about journaling, but I tend to eat the same things routinely. I know I need to exercise more and may try the Core Wendy plan that Melissa suggested. I used to go to a gym 3-4 times a week a few years ago when I was doing Flex and even that didn't help! Felt good, but the weight still didn't come off and I only weighed about 15 lbs. less back then .

Thanks again for responding, I appreciate it your help
Old 11-03-2005, 12:53 PM   #6  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Dear Lavendar Dreams,
I have a tiny idea. Since you tend to eat the same foods over and over again, have you thought about changing up a few of your foods? My leader says that when you hit a plateau, even though you are doing everything right, your body needs a change.
She's suggested fish for beef or vice versa. If someone's eating only sweet potatoes, she'll suggest switching to couscous and seeing what happens. What I'm thinking is that you're doing great and not getting the results you want, so maybe this is something you could experiment with. I wish you all the luck in the world!

Also, Jennie, you're so close to 200#. I'm with you. Let's break this mark real soon.

Judy Itry
234.6/205.2/thinner into onederland
Old 11-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #7  

Thank you, Judy , that is something else to try. I tend to make a batch of soup or chili and eat that for lunch everyday at work, plus have the same breakfast daily. I'm a lazy cook and try to simplify things in the kitchen as much as I can. It was my one hesitation about trying CORE because I like to grab and go and Flex was better for me in that area. But I do have a stash of simple ingredients and dinner ideas that I need to revisit and break out of the routine rut .

Thanks again for your input !
Old 11-03-2005, 07:47 PM   #8  
Melissa

Lavender, I hope that we can help you solve your "problem." These ladies are so good to come up with ideas and think of things that we might not on our own.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:30 PM   #9  

Hi Lavender,

I'm a lurker too, but I wanted to mention something. Please forgive me if you already know this (you probably do) but I didn't notice until the 2nd time that I made core chili, that canned kidney beans have a load of sugar in them. I think it's like the third ingredient. I pour them into a strainer and wash them really well before I add them to the pot.

I'm probably the only person in the world that didn't know that, but if not, I hope it helps.

(I've found sugar in the weirdest places lately. Ora-ida shredded potatoes? Why?)

Last edited by tanya123; 11-05-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:02 PM   #10  

You will also find sugar in some of the diced tomatoes. The ones that have added spices have sugar, the plain diced tomatoes don't seem to have it added.
Vivian
Old 11-08-2005, 11:38 AM   #11  

Thanks, Tanya, I don't think I even check beans for added sugar ! I haven't made the Core chili nor used kidney beans yet in anything, but I do use black beans (rinsed) as well as navy or Great Northern beans alot. I guess when I grab something that's CORE, I don't even think about looking for added sugar (or fat).

Thanks for the tip
Old 11-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

The one teeny thing that bothers me about the plan is that since most everything is fat-free, it's higher in sugar (like cottage cheese, salad dressings, sour cream, etc). The low sugar foods are usually higher in fat. It's a tradeoff that sometimes I'm not willing to make, so I'll go with reduced fat to get a balance of each. I mean, sometimes you're going to get the same amount of calories, whether it's from fat or sugar. On those foods where taste is a big factor, reduced fat is the way to go (IMO).

Since kidney beans are Core, I wouldn't worry about them either.

Last edited by Katpo; 11-08-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:26 PM   #13  
Southside White Sox Fan

Kathy, you make a great point.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #14  

I know Lavender understood me, but I just want to clarify, I'm talking about added sugar in the can of kidney beans (and some diced tomatoes, as Vivian mentioned, which I had forgotten), not the sugar in the beans themselves.

The first four ingredients in the ones I buy are: kidney beans, water, sugar, corn syrup.
Closed Thread