Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 09:52 AM   #1  
It's Gonna Happen!

S/C/G: 168/168/145

Height: 5'9"

Default Help for a newbie?

Hey everyone! I am new to these boards. I have been a WW for 2 years now (well, on and off throughout two years) and have decided to start Core tomorrow. ANY advice you have for a newbie would be greatly appreciated! I'm a little nervous, as I'm a carb LOVER.... but I am lucky in that I also LOVE veggies, fruit (can't wait to eat bananas again!) and I eat veggie burgers almost every day. I also like Chicken, it'll just take more planning (Not as easy as microwaving spaghetti-o's!)

Anyway, any starting tips (help in the grocery store, snack tips, meal ideas, creative ways of working in core foods) would be much appreciated!

I'm going to my WI tonight - ready to start fresh on core tomorrow!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:19 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Hi there and welcome!! You will undoubtedly find every bit of information here that's available. This bunch is the nicest and most knowledgeable about Core.

Don't worry about that carb craving right now. Since you're new, hopefully you'll have lots of enthusiasm and motivation. The best part is getting to have all the things you previously avoided because you didn't want to spend points -- like bananas (as you mentioned), baked potatoes, etc. As far as chicken, I'm not sure if you're just cooking for yourself or a whole bunch of people, but sometimes I will get a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store deli, take it off the bone and divide it up into ziploc bags. I can make soup, or chicken salad, or just eat it plain. It freezes nicely and is already seasoned.

The part that everyone has trouble with at first is the comfort level ... knowing when you're satisfied and should stop. There's been some talk recently about the "sigh", a signal that you're getting enough. You should never eat until full, just satisfied. Knowing that you can come back in an hour and have more if you want will help a lot! And as with any plan, frequent but smaller meals will help too.

Lastly, don't forget your 2 t. of good oil (olive oil, flaxseed oil, etc.) per day, and your 2 servings of dairy, and lots of veggies and fruits.

Feel free to ask anything you want because someone here will always know the answer!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:21 AM   #3  
banned

welcome!

im a carb lover too-theres lorsa carbs on this plan-theyre just brown not white thats the diff. my best tip is really eat at meals and if u ned snacks stick to fruit and eat a dinner size plate of salad bf the eve meal.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:59 PM   #4  
Melissa

Plan, plan, plan! That's the key. And drinks LOTS of water.
We're glad to have you here!
Old 10-26-2005, 06:58 PM   #5  
focused and aiming

welcome to the boards. you're going to love core. some of us take our 35 weekly points allowance and spend 5 per day. others spend all at once or in other increments. the key is to decide which is best for you.

what i try to do is limit mine to 5 per day. if i go under 5--that's wonderful. i may use the leftovers in case of emergency or i may just "eat them."
Old 10-26-2005, 11:38 PM   #6  
It's Gonna Happen!

S/C/G: 168/168/145

Height: 5'9"

Thanks everyone! You've been so nice - it's good to be here. I now have my base weight - and I'm only about 12 lbs from my ULTIMATE goal of 150. That's the number I've been chasing for years.

Please let me know any other tips you have.

Also - how do exercise points work with core???
Old 10-26-2005, 11:43 PM   #7  

I usually dont add in my exercise points bc I found that I lose more weight by not using them, but if you do want to use them they just go with your 35 extra weekly points. The thing is...make sure you use them the day that you earn them.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:47 PM   #8  
focused and aiming

i don't use them either. i try to exercise but don't do so every day.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:45 PM   #9  
kellyjoiii

S/C/G: 225/225/165

HI! I have a question....do you tend to lose a little faster on Core than on Flex? I am trying to get back "on the wagon per se" and trying to figure out what I can do for these cravings. I KNOW that I will have less if I follow core but I am a little lost as to how the core works. Can anyone kindof sum it up for me as to how it is different from flex? Like I am wondering if I screwed up this am....with my coffee (sf creamer 2TBS) and 2 bananas and a cup of grapes (I grabbed what was easiest) BUT I made salmon cakes (thanks to a core recipe I found here) and had it with a can of green beans.....How would I count this? I know I get 35 weekly points too just like flex right? How many did I use if any? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #10  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

hi Kelly - and welcome to the world of Core! While losing faster (or slower) depends on each individual with the Core program you will find that you will probably be making healthier choices and feeling more full and satisfied (since you don't need to use your points for "real/core" foods). It will certainly help with the sugar cravings!

As for your menu - basically what you have listed is all core except for the creamer - and this is where your 35 extra weekly points would come in. The fruit, green beans and core salmon cakes would not require any point usage. Do you have access to the Core list of foods? You should try and get this so you are aware of any limitations as well as permissible foods to eat!

Good luck!

Frouf
Old 10-27-2005, 01:49 PM   #11  
kellyjoiii

S/C/G: 225/225/165

Frouf,
Thanks...Actually I dug out my list (the writeon thingy-firgive me I am having a brainfart) that has the core list/detailed core list. I am using it.....and I will count my creamer points accordingly. Thank you for the fast reply and looking at the list I figured that out. I am finally FULL and not thinking of food (only an hour past the eating mark but I am not dwelling on food right now which is a plus for me) I am having my water and I have dinner planned so I am in the clear for that.
Do I use my points slider to figure out my creamer points? I am so confused LOL If so I have only used 2 points and may have a light english muffin with my dinner along with a salad with my oil allotment I think I may divvy up my WPA and do what alot of you do by using a little each day.
I look forward to learning from you all~tHANKS FOR THE HELP~~~~~~
Old 10-28-2005, 09:32 AM   #12  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Welcome newcomers,
This is a great group of helpful women who understand what you're going through. Congrats on making a good start to lose weight and keep healthy. I find that by eating complex carbs such as oatmeal, couscous, popcorn, and even grits, as well as fruit and veggies that my cravings for simple sugars has decreased a lot. I love that if I am hungry I can eat larger portions of food and not feel deprived. This works for me.
I exercise 5 out of 7 days and I do not count the points because I'm interested in using the exercise to help me knock off weight faster. If I had a blow-out special occasion to go to, I would definitely use the points then. If my family is having pizza, I would order a salad and then have one slice of pizza. I count it as points and find I can continue to lose weight. This is a very workable program. Good luck and let us know about your experiences.
Judy Itry
234.6/206.8/thinner into onederland
Closed Thread