Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 12:53 PM   #16  
Southside White Sox Fan

Cher, congratulations! So you should be doing the happy dance to celebrate! You must be so happy to be under 150. To me, it seems impossibly far off. I feel my enthusiasm flagging a bit as always happens when I've gone a couple of weeks with no progress. I'll be begging for those blinks this week!

Lisa, don't sweat the pound. In fact, one pound from vacation is pretty impressive. I'm sure you and Kathy and Linda will all do what it takes. I hope your enthusiasm drags me along with you.

I've gotta eat some lunch then I'll be hitting the pool. I did walk on the treadmill and will also do some strength stuff in the pool.

Then to Ruby Tuesday's! Yum. Thanks Deborah wherever you are for recommending Ruby Tuesday's. Frannie and Deborah, I miss your posts! Hope you are both well.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:02 PM   #17  
Athlete in Training

Hi all,

Happy Monday! I am not even going to try to catch up from the weekend right now. I just hope everyone is doing well.

My 14 miler was brutal. My marathon partner ran out of time so we got picked up by my DH just about 3/4 mile short of 14. I thought I was drinking enough, but apparently I was badly dehydrated and had a touch of heat exhaustion. I kept drinking the rest of the day but still ended up with nausea and fever from the heat. I ate a lot - all core -- but I was really hungry and figured I needed it. (I'm a little nervous about WI!) DH and I went about our day, did some shopping and errands, but by about 6p, all I could do was crawl into bed where I slept til 6 the next morning. (Oh yeah, I woke up at 9p and had a yummy grilled pork chop that dh made for dinner, then went back to bed.)

Early Sunday morning I went to do a 2-mile walk downtown on the lakefront (Race to the Taste). It was absolutely fabulous. I had some time to kill before the Taste of Chicago opened at 11, so I walked along the boat harbor on Lake Michigan and then over to Millenium Park (huge park, lots of gardens, sculptures, interesting things to look at). About 2 hours of walking in all, and I needed the APs.

I love festivals - and the Taste was great. As it turns out, I had enough points to cover what I wanted to eat (this time I did use my APs!), so I stayed core. They had "taste portions" of foods, so it was easier to sample things without having to throw a lot away. I had a sliver of stuffed spinach pizza, a small cheese enchilada, 1/2 a BBQ buffalo burger (tossed most of the bun), one incredible, huge, sweet chocolate covered strawberry and something cuban called alcapuria. It was a banana-pork deep-fried fritter. I tossed half of it, but it was still pretty greasy and not as good as I'd hoped. I had a wicked taste for cookies, so I stopped at Subway later in the day and got one chocolate chip and one oatmeal cookie. All together, I think I used 36 points, so I was pleased. And I managed to avoid the cheesecake. I think it was just too hot.

This weekend, there are three fests - so the challenges just keep coming.

I've got a short day here at work, doctor's appt this afternoon and social worker coming to the house tonight to update our adoption docs, so I've got to run for now. Will try to stop by later.

Peace.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:15 PM   #18  
Southside White Sox Fan

Glad you're ok Terry! Congratulations on your 14 miler and for your success at Taste of Chicago.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:26 PM   #19  

Wow Terry! All those AP's are amazing! Great job.

Vickie, I said I was afraid to go back 100% Core because I am afraid of failing. But so far today, I've been very good. I found myself getting really hungry around 11, so I had an apple. And on my salad for lunch, I did a trick I came up with a few years ago. I take my favorite full-fat dressing (ranch) and shake up a small amount of it with a lot of skim milk. Then I drizzle this over my salad. It still delivers the taste I love with a LOT less dressing. I think afternoons between 2:30 and 4:30 are my hardest times though. I will have to plan a yummy snack for that time. Either that, or stay so busy I can't eat.

Angela
Old 06-27-2005, 01:41 PM   #20  

Height: 5'7"

Okay, please don't slap me again but I'm going to say something here.

Sigh ... so I think Core would be the best thing, a general compromise, for DH and I. He's leaving HIS eating up to me. Said for me to buy it and cook it, and he would eat whatever I give him. He won't do low-carb because he can't stand eggs. I can't eat a bunch of meat but use eggs for my main protein source. I'm not going to cook 45 different meal plans; that's kinda stupid, to say nothing of being expensive and time-consuming!

I gave him this list of foods ... what do you think?

Applesauce, unsweetened
Banana
Blackberries
Blueberries
Cantaloupe
Honeydew melon
Peaches, canned (unsweetened)
Pineapple, canned
Strawberries
All vegetables; salad dressing should be oil and vinegar or FF creamy dressings
Black beans with avocado, tomato, FF sour cream
Fat-free refried beans with cheese and salsa
Baked potato with FF cheese and spray butter
Brown rice
Whole-wheat pasta
Hamburger
Steak
Fish and shrimp (cocktail sauce is okay)
Chicken and turkey
Tuna salad
Tomato soup made with water
Steak and potato soup (he likes this kind but I'm giving him the big soup list too)
Skim milk
Popcorn, 94% fat-free

Can you think of anything else?
Old 06-27-2005, 02:00 PM   #21  

How about canadian bacon, barley (and other whole grains), cream of wheat, oatmeal, other Core cereals, and lean ham?

I don't know if you guys like these things, but they're on my list of favorites.

Good idea, by the way. Will he follow the list?

Angela
Old 06-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #22  
Radmom413

Stopping in for a quick hello!

Angela - I forgot about the diluting the full fat dressing with skim milk!! Thanks! I just CANNOT tolerate ff dressings...YUK!

Also - I wanted to mention - I have a brother and SIL near you in Marion.....my SIL is a teacher and my brother is at Rockwell!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #23  

Ah! Oatmeal, malt-o-meal (for me, anyway), and lean ham. I'll add them. Thanks! I just have to make sure he knows the oatmeal has to be plain, but maybe I'll experiment with the applesauce or banana cooked in.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:36 PM   #24  
Southside White Sox Fan

Is this also his list for when you two aren't together? I'd add lean pork. I also do the smoothie thing one of which includes the SF/FF Swiss Miss. Does he know to have some olive oil or canola every day or will you cover that with dinner? Do you think he'd like couscous? I think your list is pretty complete. Would he know that he could have avocado in his salad?

Oh, do try the banana in the oatmeal for sure!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:44 PM   #25  

He only likes balsamic vinaigrette dressings so I think we'll be okay on the oil. I also usually add it to meat marinades, or put it on WW pasta. He likes the WW spaghetti with tomatoes and garlic. In fact, I might make him some for lunch tomorrow and add some turkey breast that I sliced yesterday.

I'll make him a smoothie this weekend with the FF/SF Swiss Miss and see how he likes it. I think he'll like it. I'm also going to stock up on the one Lean Cuisine that I consider to be Core, which is the beef tips and broccoli. The entire thing, if you counted points, is 4 but I'd say that it's as Core as can be. I'm not even going to tell him about WPAs and confuse him further. He can just eat from the list and hush up about it.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #26  

Angela
Old 06-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #27  
focused and aiming

cher, i'm so happy for you. i can't even begin to see myself below 150. you rock, girl!!!

kathy, i can feel your enthusiasm today. you're on your way for sure!

vickie, sounds like you have a full day. we had company this am. a friend who's moving back t o kalispell from oklahoma. curtis used to coach him. he shoots olympic style archery. we had a nice visit. it's good to have him home again.

we went to jakers for lunch today. i had islander chicken, charbroiled chicken breasts in teriyaki and ginger with pineapple chutney on top, and some steamed veggies and a salad with raspberry vinegarette. it was delicious!

terry, please be careful. that's scarey about your dehydrating. it sounds like you had a great weekend inspite of that, though. makes me want to get out and do something. i wish my feet would heal. i'm tired of waiting on them.

angela, that's a good idea about the dressing. see? i knew you were a creative person.

kathy, what do you think of the polenta? he might like that all right. that's a good idea about the wap's. it could push him over the edge. i know it's going to be a job getting him to do this. good luck!
Old 06-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #28  

I think if I made polenta cakes, and maybe spiced them up a bit, and then had them with some black beans or pinto beans, he would like it. What I'll have to do is make them for myself and when he says "what's that?" I'll say "Oh you wouldn't like this" and then he'll want it. Dirty trick, but it usually works!
Old 06-27-2005, 04:30 PM   #29  
Closed

Kathy all I have to say is "you are too funny girl " that line about "ok don't slap me " just cracked me up
Core is a good choice, when you think about it....

I almost, almost stopped at the store after work, but I called Frank and he calmed me down, reminded me that "I promised" to stay good all week.....you know my usual Monday stress crap...Well I did not stop and instead I just had a Mini bag of 94% FF popcorn....I still have some cravings so I will have a little something else. (well my little something else was....spinach and a little bit of Swanson Premium Chunk chicken on top)- Core page 140 CFC
Hey and I think I am satisfied
How do you all deal with cravings if you really aren't hungry....I know....fruit, right??

Did plan on the crispy chicken tonight but I am too tired to do that, so it will be something like egg salad and veggies or something.
And then another fruit smoothie....I still can't find the SF/FF Swiss Miss, just the FF and it's 1 point. So maybe that will be my treat!!

Once again so much to read since 6AM so let me go do that now........
Just wanted to check in and keep accoutable.....hope everyone still has thier resolve.....I know I need you all to keep me....focused!!
'See' you all later.........Linda

Last edited by L.J; 06-27-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:38 PM   #30  
Closed

Happy Anniversary Kathy And Judd !!

Good Going On Your Maraton Terry!!!
Closed Thread