Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #61  

hey all, just checking in. day is winding down nicely busy day but nonetheless a great day. grocery shopped and i think i must of read more then half of my purchases......you know, the n/i, seem to be more into that each week.......i was comparing the new Special K cereals today......big choices out there, chose the Low Carb one, full of protein, sweetened with a sweetener......will see if it compares to my Fibre One that i absolutely love.

Froufy, don't fret, tomorrow will be a great day. and yes, i think we all have those 'munchie' type days, extra hungry for whatever reason. maybe that will be a good thing for you, it sounds like you stuck to core anyway.....and ya, i have eaten until i am uncomfortable too.....we all do that too.....it is a journey of learning every day, and every day is different. have fun in your course tomorrow always nice to get away from the office

Vickie, you mentioned earlier that i was over half way to my goal. my goal being to lose 50 lbs. the 50lbs puts me in line with the w.w. weight range for my height but at the high end. i am not sure that is where i really want to be, or if i want to be on the lower end, or in the middle. i set a goal to lose 50lbs first and then maybe even consult with my dr. on where i should go from there. i think in the end, it will depend totally on me and where i feel most comfortable. so that was my 'intermediate goal' ............thought i better explain, because i think eventually my scale will change to reflect that but not yet.........it was just too daunting in the beginning!

i would like to say i love ready everyone's posts. and the creativity with the smilies/symbols is just amazing

cheers for now,
Old 01-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #62  
Southside White Sox Fan

Welcome Miss Wilson! I've been on Core since the middle of September and when I started I had 150 pounds to lose. Core is very satisfying to me but there are times, even now, when I still want to eat even though I know I'm satisfied. Some of this is physical because of food type addictions, but some of it is just emotional. I get comfort from food and from feeling full. I'm trying to break this emotional trigger now. It's great that you already understand when you are satisfied. That is a huge breakthrough on Core. You'll be quite successful if you can stop eating when you are satisfied. When I first started Core, I weighed and measured for 2 weeks to be sure that I understood what portion sizes should be for me. I wanted to be sure that I was in or near my point range. Once I was comfortable with how much I could eat, I stopped weighing and measuring. I still keep my tracker EVERY day. It is really easy to get too sloppy on Core. For me anyway! Good Luck and I hope you'll post here with us often. We are the nicest group of people I've found anywhere!

Laura, I didn't know about a new cookbook. Is it a WW one? I'm a cookbook JUNKIE! I'd love to know the details!

Froufie, doesn't sound like a horrible day. I'm sure you can recover. I'd be suspicious of Denny's. Maybe something you ate there was a red light trigger food for you. I've heard that if we eat one of those foods it can trigger us to eat too much or bad things during the rest of the day or until we decide to stop ourselves. You sound like you caught yourself very quickly. Congratulations!

Kathy, very funny that the cherry pie wouldn't fit back in. That sounds SO like me! I love cherry pie. I would had to move out until it was gone. I would not have been able to resist!

Well, I survived my banquet last night! I passed on the rolls and butter; ate about a cup of pasta with marinara - no cheese; ate a huge salad with just a bit of italian dressing; 2 slices roast beef with NO gravy; traded my husband for the fresh veggie medley (he got my baby potatoes). They also had a chocolate mousse torte for dessert. I had two bites of that and ate my snack pack of four snackwell cookies from my purse instead. I felt a bit deprived just in the moment but felt HUGELY successful in the long run. I really want this to work this time and I'm going to try not to find excuses to sabotoge myself. So....back on the wagon today with no special occassion on the horizon for a while. Whewwwww!!!

Hope everyone has a great week.

Last edited by Vickie; 01-17-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #63  
Southside White Sox Fan

Frannie, or anyone who knows, how does the goal thing work? I've never thought about it because I've never been serious enough or close enough? Does it go by the WW range? Do they say you are at goal when you hit the highest in there range? Can you have your Doctor say what your goal should be? I guess it's a good sign that I'm interested in this, huh?!
Old 01-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #64  

Vickie, I am not sure how the goal setting works for sure. it is something i want to ask after i loose the next 20+ pounds.....does anyone else know how this works?

it is a good sign too be interested! and congrats on your success at your banquet. those are always tough, not knowing what is on the menu......but you were smart to take your own cookies! i am glad that you had a taste of the mousse....a little bit will satisfy taste and then onward to our own treats!!!! .........just think, if i were not on core i would of had everything and not thought about it twice......and to trade with your hubby was a fantastic ideal....we are having success............

have you seen the new prevention magazine out now...february 05...looks like some good articles in their about eating smart.....the smart snackers guide is great.......

just rambling today.......
Old 01-17-2005, 11:11 AM   #65  

Height: 5'7"

Happy Monday to all!

Well, I started off the day with a huge bang -- my usual coke on the way to work. Why on earth I canNOT break that habit is beyond me! And now here I sit drinking another, because my breakfast was sucky (egg quiche thing wasn't quite done enough and grossed me out) and I don't want to start in on my lunch this early. If I were at home, I would have eaten something else for breakfast but I'm trapped at the office with nothing but bad stuff to choose from. My lunch will be nutritious though: tomato soup, banana and a cheese sandwich from FF cheese and Delightful bread. I'll have to go light on dinner to make up for all this cokiness, but I'm starting over today with my WPAs so if I use a few extra, maybe later in the week I can pass on the coke. I woke up this morning with a humongous headache, probably because I didn't have coke this weekend and was going thru caffeine withdrawal. I just wish I liked diet drinks, but I don't.

Congrats on the banquet success, Vickie! That is just awesome -- very admirable self control! I love it that you are so focused even though sometimes you probably don't feel like it, but you are!

Frannie, how funny that you mention the n/i on foods -- it takes me three times as long in the grocery store now because I read all the panels. I usually take my WW calculator with me to figure the points just so I'll know them in the back of my head. Of course if it's a core food I don't even worry, but sometimes I have to use from my WPAs, like those wonderful 100 calorie Wheat Thin packets that are only 2 pts and go fabulously with tomato soup. Anyway, we're much more informed nowdays and more aware of just how many calories things are. I like it!

Everybody have a great day!
Old 01-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #66  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Frannie - yup I am also a major label reader - and I also carry my trusty ww pointsfinder in my purse so I can whip it out and impress others with my superb calculation skills!

Vickie - a big BRAVO to you - I am extremely impressed at the willpower and determination you exhibited at the banquet - personally I could not have even had one bit of that mousse - cuz the rest of it would be history!!! Good for you for staying on track!

And I agree about the trigger food - I thought long and hard about it - and the only thing that was really different was the HALF SLICE of dry rye toast I had with my breakfast...could that be the culprit??? If so it's a good think I have stayed away from bread most of the week (I think I had one bagel last week and that was it!).

Kathy - I used to drink the "real" stuff and I know those powerful withdrawal headaches - I think I had one for 3 days straight and no amount of Advil was going to get rid of that baby - but eventually it went away and I now try to stick to decaf most of the time - altho I would drink regular diet pepsi or coke when out - and will sometimes mix coffee at a coffee shop if they have a yummy flavor I like (e.g. half flavored coffee and half decaf).

Back at my desk now and proud to say I am about to begin my 3rd (18oz) water bottle as I was pretty lax with my water on the weekend.

Today is my wedding anniversary however no real celebrating as dh is out jamming tonight (a closet drummer!), and I am driving kids to all those extra curricular activities - plans for a lovely dinner out this weekend w/my girlfriend and her hubby (we were married a week apart!)

Froufie
Old 01-17-2005, 07:04 PM   #67  
Southside White Sox Fan

Thanks for the positive feedback, Froufie! I don't think that small amount of toast could have been a trigger.....but who knows. I just think you maybe had a hungry day.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:27 PM   #68  

Happy Anniversary Froufie!

I agree about the ' caffiene ' withdrawals. good article in the toronto star on how do kick the habit.......basically, do not go cold turkey, but a bit at a time. And only if you really want to get out of the habit. Kathy--- Maybe you can have your coke........but drink extra water, or heck just count the points! Sometimes, we can not give up what we love the most. Mine is chocolate so I just account for it! So far, so good.

Another blustery snow storm, highways closed.......could be a storm day tomorrow.....???!!!????!!!

Cheers
Old 01-17-2005, 10:33 PM   #69  
Southside White Sox Fan

Stay safe, Frannie. My goodness you sure do get alot of snow! I used to love snowdays when I was a kid. The schools in Chicago rarely closed though because we always had such great snow removal equipment. Still is that way today. We also have a fabulous mass transportation system. Made coming up with an excuse pretty hard sometimes!

I can't believe tomorrow is Tuesday already. I have a crazy busy rest of the week but I'll be back to check in.

Hope you are all well.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:33 AM   #70  

Ugh, caffeine, one of my downfalls. As soon as I get out of the habit of drinking soda or coffee, I get busy and need it again! Sigh.

After seeing the commercial for it I got some of the new 7up plus at the store. It's pretty good tasting imo, and only 10 calories. It also has some of the RDA for vit C and calcium, but not a whole lot. Overall it's tasty and a nice choice for a diet soda if you like the bubbly stuff once in a while.

Vickie and all, my understanding re weight goals on WW has always been that you can choose a weight goal anywhere in the WW range, or if you want to stay higher get a doctor's note. Then you have to stay 5 lbs around that goal for 6 weeks and then you're lifetime. Most folks I know set their WW goals as high as they can to save money and then often decide to lose a bit more later.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:43 AM   #71  
Janette

Just a quick post. I am going back to work after a LONG 4 day weekend and boy do I need to get back in the groove. I had the hardest time staying on plan this last week and I think it is because I kept such close rein on myself during the holidays so that I would not gain and now I'm having problems! I have my walking shoes on and am getting on that treadmill the minute I shut off this computer. Just have to get back into the habit of exercising.

To make matter worse, I bought a new digital scale and the darn thing weighs 7 lbs. higher than the regular one I was using. My weight is still the same on the old scale so I know I haven't gained but still is sooooooooo depressing abd although I know the pounds lost would have been the same it is just seeing those number above 150 that is really bring me down. So dumb I know but I was so looking forward to getting into the 140s this month!

Well, it won't happen unless I work the program and get on that treadmill. I plan to check out the recipe file and try some of your wonderful recipes. I think that has been one problem--eating the same old same old day in and day out.

I hope everyone has a good day. Will try to post more in the future. That will help me I know to stay on program.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:14 AM   #72  
Southside White Sox Fan

Thank you so much, Laura. This process has always been a mystery to me! I've never been below 150 in my adult life. I'm not even sure what the WW charts say. I'll have to look. My Doctor always says 150 is my goal but I think it's because he doesn't think I can get anywhere near it.

Janette, I'm sorry that you are struggling. I don't know if I mentioned this at the holidays, but I've experienced before what you are going through right now. I seem to always start my new plans in the fall and expect myself to stick on them through the holidays. I've been successful for the holidays but then end up going off by the end of January because I felt so deprived. It's almost like I was feeling so sorry for myself that I didn't have all the fun holiday foods. This year I tried a modified approach. I ate Core at as many meals as I could and then allowed myself only the food items that I would only be offered at the holidays. I know that I could have christmas cookies any time of the year but in my family you only get them once a year! I had a Leader tell us that we should only choose these special treats. I kept my exercise up and I only gained .4 of a pound and was able to get back on program fairly quickly. I don't know if this will work every time, but I intend to try this approach again for other holidays and for my birthday. Wish I had thought about it so many years ago. Where was that Leader then!!! You've been so successful and I know you will again. I would hate it too, If my new scale was higher. Do you weigh in at a meeting or do you do the at home program? I suppose there is no way to adjust the new scale? If it were me, I'd take the new scale back and by a different model!!!! We're here if you need us!
Old 01-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #73  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Arrow It's Freezing Here Today!

...like -25 Celsius and about -41 w/ the wind chill....don't dare go outside for any length of time or something is bound to freeze and fall off!

Janette - you seem determined to get back on track and I commend you for that! You can do it! Put on those shoes and use that treadmill! I am the LAZIEST, EXERCISE-HATING FROUFIE around and I know that sometime soon - like next week I'm actually supposed to start moving my body. I know intellectually it will help my weight loss but more so will keep my healthy - but it will be a definite struggle!

As for those evil scales - I had the same issue when I bought a new one - it weighed me 6 lbs heavier - what a nightmare that was!

Vickie - sounds like your holiday eating strategy was a good one - I might need to adopt it for myself when required!

Finally eating my breakfast now (like 11 am??)...won't be hungry for lunch and will have to adjust accordingly!

I have a dr's appt at 1:30 pm today to CHECK MY BLOOD PRESSURE!!! Yes at my annual appt end of November - my dr mentioned that blood pressure was pretty high - which kinda freaked me out. Did all the bloodwork (cholesterol, blood sugar, crp) and ECG and all came back okay as I was told by phone message (except a vitamin B12 deficiency?? supposed to take a daily supplement).

So she wanted me to monitor/check my bp at the pharmacy machines and come back - so between then and now I have been doing this. My results are quite surprising: between beginning of december 2004 and til about a week ago - my bp was around 140/85 or 142/80 - which I believe is borderline high.

However, the past 2 measurements (since starting WW) are much better - which I find amazing: 120/72 and 132/77 - IS THIS POSSIBLE? Can 10 days on WW affect bp? My ex-nurse girlfriend says even the tiniest amount of weight loss can affect bp? Anyhow, I guess the dr's reading today will tell all?

Anyone else have any bp info?

Froufie
Old 01-18-2005, 01:21 PM   #74  

Hi all,
Just wanted to check in. VicKie you did a great job at the banquet. Congratualtions Frougy on you anniversary. I celebrated mine last month. I also use my tracker but I don't journal my food. I now try to to drink 8 glasses of water instead of the 6. My co-worker and I once read an article that you should drink half of your body weight in ounces of water Needless to say we spent way to much time in the bathroom it was hilarious. Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:10 PM   #75  

hello there,

-31C here........brr but the highways are opened once again. yes we do get an awful lot of snow and when it is combined with horizontal storms it makes driving worse. sometimes they even take those big snow plows off the road because it is too hazardous for the drivers......needless to say, i did not go for a walk last night, i hope i don't pay for my inactivity on thursday night......

b.p. yes, your diet will make a difference.........funny eh? but i find if i have a diet higher in salt my b.p. is up......my friend also had high blood pressure, but they diagnosed her with white coat syndrome......anywhere near a dr. and it goes up......so she had to wear a monitor at home for a few days......anyway, good luck!

stay warm everyone and thanks for the goal info
Closed Thread