3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Simply Filling/Core (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/simply-filling-core-158/)
-   -   Core Support Board - Number 5 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/simply-filling-core/51763-core-support-board-number-5-a.html)

aghiowa 01-23-2005 07:54 PM

Hi everyone. Here's another meatloaf recipe. It is my absolute FAVORITE, and we've tried tons or recipes. My husband is a meatloaf fiend. There are two ingredients that aren't Core, but they're in small quantities. And I bet you could find a really low points barbecue sauce, to mitigate the points even more.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Honey Barbecue Meatloaf

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
1 tablespoon hot water
1 egg
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup honey mustard
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons brown sugar substitute
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 pound very lean ground beef
ketchup

In a large bowl, dissolve bouillon in water.

Stir in egg, oats, barbecue sauce, honey mustard, onion, brown sugar substitute, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, peper and chili powder.

Add beef and mix well.

Press into an ungreased loaf pan.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Top with ketchup.

Bake 5-10 min longer or till meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160.

Let stand 10 min before serving.

aghiowa 01-23-2005 08:00 PM

Hello people! I have been on Core for almost 3 months now, and I've lost almost 18 pounds. But, I can start to feel myself slipping. Anyone dealt with this? It's just so hard with my children eating stuff like hot dogs and chicken nuggets, and my dear hubby bringing in bags of chips and cookies. Ugh!! My BLT's are getting out of control! What can I do to get back the motivation we all have in the first few weeks? Any ideas? I go to meetings, and that helps, but I only go every other week, so a lot of damage can happen between meetings! : ) I'm thinking of ways to reward myself - maybe some clothes shopping, but if (wait, when!) I lose the rest of my weight, I'll need new clothes again anyway.

Ideas, anyone? I want to stop this before it spirals out of control. I have a schedule to keep - I want to lose the rest of my weight before my 30th birthday, which is in early June.

Thanks!
Angela

Vickie 01-23-2005 08:15 PM

Frannie, Hubby tells me there isn't a definitive answer on how we got our nickname. I always thought it was just because of of the wind. Evidently, some think it was because of the Chicago Fire and some think it was given to us because of our full winded Politicians! Who knew?

Sorry my responses are so disjointed! Linda, since on Core, I've been underserving myself. I deliberately give my self less than I think I want or even less than I think a serving is. I do this because no matter how much I put on my plate, I will eat it ALL! So when I underserve, often I'm full when I'm done. I tell myself if I'm not full that I CAN have more. When I feel I need/want more I just go back. When I was on Flex I would eat it all because I had weighed and measured it because how would I figure out what I hadn't eaten and God Forbid.....what would happen to those unused points!

When I get hungry in between meals, I eat whatever the heck Core foods I feel like eating. Now, I have to admit that I try to make them fruit because if I don't concentrate, I don't get in all my fruits and veggies. But if I really wanted a slice of Core meatloaf (thanks to you I now have meatloaf on the brain, LOL) after breakfast, I would let myself have it. As long as it is Core or I pay the points.

The Swiss Miss I have is in a blue Box. It has a pink label on the front that says "Diet with Calcium" and sweetened with Splenda. It has 25 calories, no fat, 1 gram of fiber, 4 Carbs, and 2 grams of sugar. There is no added sugar. Sounds like you have a different box but yours sounds ok too. As long as there is no added sugar all that is in there is what naturally occurs in the milk.

Frannie and Linda, I never heard of the "sigh" approach. I could use a little more information!

Vickie 01-23-2005 08:36 PM

Angela, I struggle with my motivation daily. I have so much to lose and I know it will take me a long while to lose all 150 pounds. I've started and given up so many times before and I'm determined to succeed this time. For me, whenever I feel my enthusiasm slipping I try to go back to the place I was in when I started. What got you excited back then? Try to remember how you felt with that extra 20 pounds on your little frame. Think about all your success at the scale and off. I'm sure you've lost at least 2 sizes and I'm guessing time with your kids is much more enjoyable at your current weight. I'm big in favor of non-food rewards. I think Frannie can probably give us some great ideas in this category. I think she was the one who mentioned several fun things....manicures, charms, (I can't remember what else because I only remember the two that called out to me!).

Can you ask your family for more support? I'm SO lucky. My Hubby doesn't eat exactly Core but he is mostly Core and what isn't Core is still fairly healthy (Cape Cod lowfat chips, sugar free cookies, etc). My Leader once did a whole meeting on asking for support. Could every one eat more healthy with you? Would your Hubby serve the kids their non-Core foods so you don't have to handle it? Can you get the kids off of the hotdogs and nuggets? You seem to love to cook. Would it help if you tried one new recipe a week? Maybe it would help if you got excited about some new foods? Sorry that I don't have any great answers. This is just my brain racing. Don't feel obligated to respond to each idea. I would just feel good if one little idea could help in a small way. My Niece is doing Core and she is in the same boat as you with her kids and Hubby. It just must be so hard.

For what it's worth, all of you are life savers for me. My meeting is great but it only lasts for 30 minutes. You are all here all week long for me and for each other. If it would help you to vent, I'll be here to listen!

Katpo 01-23-2005 09:21 PM

Holy wa! So much to read -- how did I stay away for 24 hours and you guys just ran off and talked about everything under the sun without me!!! :lol:

I'm still in my PJs, yes from this morning! And it's past 8:00 here tonight. I've just been doing laundry, watching TV, cooking, watching more TV, more laundry, etc. You know the drill, I'm sure.

Tomorrow I have my list. Now somebody asked ... don't remember who and I'm too lazy to scroll back a few pages ... about my Wendie plan on Core. I can't exactly answer because last week I did poorly. However, this week I have it all planned out. I will eat basically the same things each day, but add more Core foods to fill in the gaps when I'm having a higher day. Probably things like FF cottage cheese and fruit, or popcorn, etc. I'm just counting the points and trying to vary it greatly. When I get the whole thing figured out, I will be sure to post. I'm also journaling it so I can watch for losses (or gains?) and see what was going on in those times.

Starting Over Again 01-23-2005 09:55 PM

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts on fast food salads. I guess I'll stick to the side salads, or as Kathy suggested, try to take my lunch. If I'm prepared, hopefully I can get myself into some kind of groove that works for me.

When I signed up for the 3-month on-line subscription at WW yesterday, it was so disheartening for me since all of my information was still there from when I was a previous subscriber ... a scant year ago. My weight at that time was 193 ... I can't believe that I've regained it all. Wouldn't you think I would have learned enough to keep that from happening?

Oh well ... forgive me for ranting about my own stupidity and lack of control. I am grateful to read what all of you are going through and I'm grimly determined to lose the weight AGAIN and for good this time!! Thanks for posting ... it helps me more than you'll ever know!

Here's to a good week for all of us ... and thanks Vickie and Angela for the meat loaf recipes. They look pretty tasty so I think meat loaf will be on my menu one day this week.

Deborah

aghiowa 01-23-2005 11:15 PM

Vickie, thanks! Those are some great ideas. For the most part, my hubby is really good about eating Core stuff for dinner. But lately he's gotten in the bad habit of running to the grocery store himself to get the junk I don't buy anymore. Thankfully, I'm allergic to canola oil, and some of the chips and junk he gets have canola in them. Therefore, I'm not tempted by those!! : ) My kids are also fairly good eaters, but sometimes I just KNOW they won't like the Core food, or I just don't feel like dealing with the complaining and not eating they do. It's slow progress, but when I look back at what they'd eat a year ago, they ARE much better. I mean, they'll eat ww pasta, brown rice, chicken (some of them will), my 18 month old loves oatmeal and farina... So it's not all bad. What I've tried this week is some nights I'll make a new Core recipe, and some nights are "old favorites." That way, no one is deprived all the time. (On old favorites nights, I make something Core for me, don't worry!) I think my biggest temptation is cleaning up after dinner. I see all their non-Core foods left on their plates, and think of the waste. What I need to do is immediately dump the leftovers into the garbage disposal. Or have my 6 year old clear the plates and do it for me, so I don't have time to rationalize my grazing.

I did get out some pictures of me at my heaviest (170), and I remember feeling tired and sluggish all the time. I have more energy now. I battled with varicose veins during my last pregnancy and afterwards; now they're gone. I felt unattractive and frumpy; now I am starting to feel cute and feminine again. I think when I hit 20 pounds lost (only 2.2 more pounds), I might go get myself a cute new pair of boot cut jeans and a nice warm turtleneck or something that will flatter my shape, not hide it. Yeah, that's what I'll do. I'm tired of big flannel shirts and tapered-leg jeans from years ago. Cool, I'm starting to feel more motivated already! : )

Go Core!
Angela

WWEnthusiast 01-24-2005 06:18 AM

Wow, Kathy is right, a few hours away from here and BAM!!! there's so many wonderful, informative, motivating posts to read.
Angela if you read my post you KNOW I am struggling....it is an everyday battle, every single day. Yesterday I lost the battle out of shear boredum. So again today I rise and shine...have my core breakfast and lunch, now get this Vickie....my THREE servings of FRUIT!! I saw from the menu board you all do, that most of you all have a fruit inbetween!!
Angela I sooo understand how you feel, we all do. Just keep coming back here like always and this wonderful group will keep you motivated. We ALL have gone through or are going through what you are. Hang in there with us, I know I have to or else.
I left this board once before but I will never do that again, even on my off days, I am here to tell you all.
Deborah, lack of control......well you should have seen my yesterday......you were good compared to me :-) so hang in there! We all have those days, sometimes it seems I have them more than the rest but I always come back here to confess :-)
and everyone picks me right up and carries me along the GOOD road.
Great sugguestions on asking for support Vickie.....
And than you and Angela for those Meatloaf recipes....we will be doing that this week....yummm, can't wait...
Kathy-Katpo it was me (but of course :-) who asked about the Wendie core thing...you know me, the confused child (hahahaha) well I had to have a LONG talk with myself yesterday after totally messing up (lack of a better word ;-)
I have got to get with it. Soooo today I am ALL core, and for my twinges inbetween, yes it's the fruit....FOR me that is the only way I will get them in. Also will be doing Vickie's Fruit smoothie.....I bought a bad of mixed frozen berries, strawberrys, raspberries and blueberries, mixing it as a smoothis is also the only way I'll get it down, but it does sound so refreshing....
As for the Swiss Miss Vickie yes I do have a different box, but the same calicium thing listed on the box. Now I am not sure if I should try that one or not. This one has 50 calories....I just might try it tonight, how much off core can it be, with only 50 calories, maybe one 1 points...
The Sigh approach.....it's kind of when you are eating your meal, and you take that first 'sigh' that is suppose to let you know you have had enough. I could not believe Frannie said she heard the exact same thing I did. As I told you I did do that when I first started Core in Sept and found it to work for me, and I never questioned my "Am I satisfied or not" I just felt I was. Later on in the day, I felt I could eat something more so I finised what I had left over from the meal.
I am Cored up for the day......so wish me luck. I feel good, even though my scale this morning is UP 1 from Saturday's. NOT GOOD!!!! hopefully it is the salt from the Tortilla' and the rest of the crap I ate.....:-)
Talk to you all later........gotta get ready for work.........Linda

Vickie 01-24-2005 09:02 AM

Angela, hang on to cute and feminine! You sound like you are perking up a bit already. I'd go pick out that outfit now because I bet you'll get rid of that 2.2 in no time flat. You'll probably even get a good sale at this time of year!

Deborah, please do NOT apologize for venting your feelings on this board. That is what we are all here for. At one time or another we all need to vent and hope that the others can pick us up and get us back on track. You will lose the weight again as I will. And then, we'll help each other keep it off!

Linda, I don't like fruit much either. That's why I hide banana or homemade applesauce in my oatmeal and fruit in my smoothies! Whatever works, I say.

mumto2 01-24-2005 09:05 AM

sigh

Hi all! Today is the beginning of a new week! I was reading over these posts and guess what? We just talked about the sigh method last week at my WW meeting. I had never heard that before either and mostly noticed that my DH tends to do that a lot when we are eating.

Here's a good idea that my friend and her mom do. Whenever they go out to eat, which is a lot, they share a meal. Usually they each get soup or salad, but then they share a sandwich or meal. Saves points and $$$. They are both lifetime now, but still share meals.

I think I have used all my flex points for the week; I'll have to go back and check. Regular WI in Thurs. p.m., but for some reason I always seem to weigh more on Thurs., so this week I'm going Wed. a.m. just to shake things up a bit. Well, gotta go. Time for WATP !! Then I have to get the kiddies off to school. They had a delay this morning from the drifting snow.

Lisa

Vickie 01-24-2005 09:15 AM

Lisa, I'm going to pay more attention this sigh thing when I have my next meal. Several of us weigh in on Thursdays....it must be a popular day. I picked it because if I splurged a bit on the weekend, I'd have a couple of days to get rid of the bloat! Funny thing for me is that I don't see any change on the scale until usually Thursday afternoon. So I fret all week long and then ususally something comes off. Very weird. I'm not surprised you have drifts. That storm was picking up intensity when it left us and headed your way.

aghiowa 01-24-2005 09:32 AM

We must have just gotten the very edge of the storm hit us. We only got a few inches, and a lot of blowing the next day. I saw some pictures of Boston - Wow! It's weird to see that much snow in a city-like setting. I mean, here where I live is a fairly large city (200,000 people) but it's spread out, not all smooshed together like Boston. Where do they put all that snow???

Well, it's time to get the kiddo off to school. I'm excited because today we're supposed to get our ping pong table. My mom and I like to play, and it's great exercise because we're both SO BAD at it! The only unfortunate thing is the amount of laughing we do - not good after you've had a couple kids, if you get my drift.

Later!
Angela

Katpo 01-24-2005 10:04 AM

Angela, what a hoot!! I got you loud and clear, as I was laughing and running to the bathroom at the same time! :lol: Don't get me tickled if there's not one nearby!

I'm at work and have my food. I am determined to (1) get all the water down me today and (2) eat only the foods I brought. I have several things to choose from in case it gets to be lunchtime and I start trying to rebel.

Frannie57 01-24-2005 10:11 AM

hey there,

yes the sigh factor: 1. Eat when you are hungry. Stop when you are full. "Full" means when you cease being hungry. Most people will notice when they are hungry and they start to eat, at one point a couple of minutes into their meal, they sigh. That is your body saying "Thanks, I'm not hungry anymore." I have noticed this to be true for myself, and if I can stop eating soon after I notice that I'm full, I wont gorge myself or make myself feel bad....found this on another site so we aren't the only ones talking about the SIGH Factor!

very busy on this board the last 24 hours i will have to catch up when i get home.......just wanted to post this for now......

Froufy 01-24-2005 10:43 AM

Mia

Here I am - back again - safe and sound! Sorry about disappearing but sat was a busy day and then every time I tried to get on our internet server crapped out - poor dh was running up and down from the basement trying to get it to work - "okay now...hurry up and post"....but alas it was not meant to be!

So weigh in went well - down another 2.2 lbs!!! (altho when I checked my booklet leader only entered 2 lb loss??? why is that? I want those extra ounces accounted for! :dizzy: )

Got the tail end of the snowstorm sat afternoon and evening, but still managed our fabulous dinner out with our friends..and my gf is also on Core so it was a hoot studying the menu, making choices and advising the waiter of what we wanted!

I started with the jumbo shrimp cocktail (she had the salad) and then I had a salmon in lemon wine sauce (Hold the butter I said) on top of roasted asparagus and a plateful of beautiful grilled/steamed veggies - so gorgeous: 2 pea pods, small "pile" of red cabbage, some squash, 1/2 sm red potato, bunch of brocolli, stalk of cauliflower, roasted red pepper slice, zucchini slice, 2 baby corns, 1 carrot slice, white asparagues stalk, one brussel sprout..and I"m sure I"m forgetting something! ...and I even doggie bagged part of it when I determined I had had enuf....for "dessert" we contemplated the rainbow sherbet, but instead chose fancy coffees w/whipped cream - counted this as 6 points - and it was very yummy and I enjoyed every spoonful. We were not at all tempted by the hot rolls and butter placed on the table before dinner, nor were we interested in all those fancy and fattening desserts!!

Dh of course pigged out and was bloated and complaining the rest of the night - even up at 4:30 am with tummy issues! Us Core gals felt great upon leaving the restaurant, very satisfied but none of that gross bloated feeling (and I also drank lots of water with my meal).

Yesterday went to the movies and had some popcorn but ate before I went so I was not shovelling into my face - and also TOM arrived (a bit early) so I am hoping next weigh in will not show any ill effects!

As for lunches - I used to buy lunch a lot as there is a small shopping area downstairs in my building but have tried diligently to bring "leftovers" from home to save $$ and stay on Core! On the odd chance there are not leftovers and this sometimes happens :o I try and keep some "core friendly" soups at work and of course I can always buy a salad or soup downstairs.

At our meeting this week the "sigh" was also mentioned...first by a member saying she was out for dinner in a restaurant, heard/felt the sigh and pushed her plate away. The leader then mentioned it - telling us to "listen" for the sigh, as our bodies do this to tell us when we've had enuf. To be quite honest I must be a "quiet sigher" as I don't recall hearing this?? Maybe I have never been listening for it? ;) Anyhow mentioned this to my gf over dinner and we both decided the restaurant was much too noisy for us to even hear the sigh so we gave up trying to listen for it ! :lol: :lol:

Not in a hungry mode today which is good (maybe bad?) - just having a small yogurt for breakfast and coffee - maybe a fruit before lunch if I don't last.

As for portions and eating what you "need" to be satisfied - I think this is the ultimate learning experience and very hard to do. In my case I notice since I pack lunches I am so AFRAID of being hungry - I tend to pack a big lunch - but sometimes I am not as hungry as I think I will be and sometimes I am afraid I will eat it all even tho I'm full. Hard to judge - not as easy as eating at home. Today I packed a big tupperware container with 1/4 chicken (thigh) and a baked sweet potato and six brussel sprouts - maybe too much? I also hate wasting food - but I guess better to waste some than overeat!

Still pretty cold out today - and office is freezing altho we dare not complain as for the past few weeks it has been hot and stuffy and we had maintenance men crawling all over the place trying to fix it - glad I'm wearing my heavy sweater! :coffee:

Froufie :cool: