Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 11:19 AM   #136  

Yum, Vickie! That sounds really good. And I think my kids might actually eat it! I'm going to stick it in our recipe board, if you haven't already.

Kathy, you're so funny about those well-meaning people saying you don't need to lose any more weight. I agree - if they'd see me "nekkid", they'd change their minds.

Three 10 pound children??? Yowza. Mine were all in the 7 pound range, and my body is still toast.

My mom is doing Core with me, as she is 4'10" and around 193 pounds. She's lost over 10 pounds already - I'm so proud of her, because she's dealing with all this almost menopause stuff too. But Kathy's mentioning cutting through the tummy muscle reminded me of something I was going to ask for her. She had 5 children, and her stomach muscles ripped vertically, quite bad. She has a huge hernia-type thing now where there isn't any stomach muscle. As she loses weight, it's starting to hurt her because there's isn't as much fat to hold it up. Is there any kind of surgery to fix something like this? It's been that way for 20 years now. I'd say the gap is around 4" or more. It will look and feel really icky once she gets down to her goal weight. Anyone deal with anything like this?

Well, I'm off to shovel some snow. Thankfully, we only got a few inches here, but the winds are pretty nuts.

Angela
Old 01-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #137  

blizzard looking and cold outside -35C here......ouch when you are out in it. Toronto airport is closed......no one getting anywhere today....i am 3 hours away thankfully!! enjoy the 76* wherever you are, Kathy in Texas I think

vickie, that casserole is going to make it to my table this week......yum-o-la but i am going to have to leave the olvies out of there....yuck got my TOM this morning.....what a grouch i was, i even went to bed last night at 9...i am with you let's get this part of our life overwith bring on menopause.....i guess i should have taken my st. john's wart and not been soooo grouchy

grocery shopped today.except for 2 middle aisles i stayed to the outside aisles....lots of fruit, veggies, yogurts and cottage cheese......i have a freezer full of meat so besides a little sausage i did not buy any......funny, i dont even shop deli meats anymore and i don't miss them either

i will be making some egg muffins for the week but i think just the beggie ones....no meat, they will be so good in the morning as i eat and run

well keep your fingers crossed that i can journal all week.....day 2 almost over and in the book!

have a great Saturday ladies and talk to you tomorrow
Old 01-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #138  

Height: 5'7"

Frannie, good golly! Stay warm up there!

I love what you said about staying to the outside of the store. Although the beer is on the side wall of the grocery store I was in today. Swoop right thru the produce department, thru the dairy, then the meat, then the seafood counter ... turn the corner and yup, there's the hooch!

I took my coupons and had a great shopping trip. They were tripling up to and including 75 cents, and doubling up to a dollar. Plus there was a big 10 for $10 sale on stuff I needed anyway, like produce and pork chops. My total was a little over $100 and I paid $52. Gotta love half-price groceries!!!

Happy Saturday to all!
Old 01-22-2005, 09:18 PM   #139  

man oh man kathy, you have made me miss living in the states, coupons, beer in the grocery store...next i will crave cracker barrel........must be time for a trip south!!...our beer is at the beer store and the liquor at the liquor store......go figure......provincially operated!......

still journalling away tonight..........popcorn........

ugh!
Old 01-22-2005, 09:35 PM   #140  

No no no, don't get me wrong -- my town still has everything outlawed! We can buy only beer in the next town over, but not wine and/or liquor. For that, we have to go to Fort Worth.

But Cracker Barrel? OMG, come on down! We'll go have some of their awesome hash brown casserole, and shop in the lobby store! Cracker Barrel is my favorite for breakfast!
Old 01-22-2005, 09:44 PM   #141  

Just wanted to send warm hugs to Angela, Vickie, and Frannie and any others of you who are contending with the blizzards! Like Kathy, we were at 70+ degrees today although tonight it's getting cold for us and will be below freezing before morning.

I hope everything is okay with Froufie ... isn't today her WI day? She's been doing so well, I hope it was as good as she was hoping for.

I actually made it "official" and signed up for another 3-month stint with WW on-line only. I plan to be a cooking fool tomorrow so that I have absolutely no excuse not to eat perfectly CORE all week. Of course, we all know good intentions pave a road to somewhere. Hopefully, I can be prepared everyday so as to not be lured into temptation.

Here's a question for y'all. I eat lunch out everyday and generally eat a roasted chicken breast salad from Subway with FF ranch dressing or a grilled chicken caesar salad from McD's. I notice nothing other than side salads is approved at any of the fast food restaurants on the Core food list ... any idea why? The McD salads would probably be the cheese but I can't imagine why the Subway roasted chicken salad wouldn't be Core since it's just the plain roasted chicken with vegetables and no cheese.

Stay warm and be safe everyone!

Deborah
Old 01-22-2005, 09:50 PM   #142  

I think it's because fast-food chicken is infused with other solutions ... in other words, it's not just chicken.

Can you take your lunch? I mean, I know it's not always possible, but like on Sundays sometimes I'll bake 5 potatoes and take one every day, along with my FF grated cheese and sour cream. Or I'll get a big bag of salad mix and take the whole thing, put it in the fridge at work, and eat a little every day. Eating lunch out has never been a problem with me, because if I take the time to go out, I have to stay later in the evening. I'd rather just take my lunch and eat at my desk.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:49 PM   #143  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hey Girls, come on down/up to Chicago! We have everything you want most times all in one location/store.

Deborah, I think Kathy is right about the fast food salads. There's probably some marinade or something that makes them non-Core. I have a site that someone shared with me a while ago that has restaurant nutrition information. Subway is on there. Maybe this site will clear up the mystery. Here's the site. http://www.dietfacts.com/fastfood.asp.

It's stopped snowing in Chicago. I'm not sure how much snow we got here. It's ranged from 4 inches to 16. My guess is we have about 11 or 12. Hubby snowblowed earlier today, but you can't even tell now. The windy city lived up to its name and created some spectacular drifts. It's pretty as long as you don't have to go out in it. My poor Scottie and her Daddy who have to go outside! My hubby is a sweetheart. He never makes me clean snow or walk the dog.

We didn't hear from Linda or Frufie after their weigh ins. Hope all is well, Girls.

Last edited by Vickie; 01-23-2005 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:05 AM   #144  

Good Morning Ladies,

Ahhh the sun is out and the temp is up to -9, a warm spell coming through and I plan on taking advantage of it and going for a walk.

Deborah for signing up for 3 months. You have made a commitment that I am sure you will not regret! Were you anywhere near the trumpster wedding yesterday? Enjoy the warmth! And I agreee with the other girls regarding the salads at fast food places, i would perhaps just get a garden salad. Thanks for the warm hugs!

I am on my way Kathy for a Cracker Barrel breakfast......and I want 2 of those white rocking chairs for my front porch! And maybe some of those goo-goo bars (oh did I say that out loud, oh dear!)

Vickie stay warm! Chicago did not get its nickname for nothing! Did Windy City originate from the fire that happened years ago? Trying to remember the history!

still journalling! WOW 3 days now.......

Everyone have a great Sunday!
Old 01-23-2005, 11:07 AM   #145  

and vickie, great site! I will bookmark that one for sure. Thanks
Old 01-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #146  
Closed

Hey Everyone!! Didn't get the chance to get on yesterday - too much running around and then I was pooped...
At weigh in - up .5 I am really, really ok with that, don't ask me why but I am...HOWEVER!!!!!! can't have that happening too much more though, now it's up 1 full lb.......NOT GOOD.
I had a hard time NOT journalling yesterday....so guess what I'm back to it. For me I guess I just have to "see" what I am having. I still am having a hard time with what is enough though. I mean I do now get the concept of the eat when you're hungry blah blah blah......... I thought if I measured then at least I'd know for the next time what satisfies me....any thoughts????
It's kind of like, if I put too much on the plate, and I don't eat it, then it's a waste. How in the heck do you all know what is enough????
That's why pts was good in that respect. You knew just how much you were allowed to have of any given thing. NO I am not going to do points, I have gotten at least past that (well for now ) At one point I was counting pts, doing Core and using Wendie Plan pts range for each day....talk about making yourself
Here's another question I did not ask yesterday in class.
Ok, you have your breakfast.......then you get a little twinge a few hours later.....do you have some fruit, for me it would only be, apples, red grapes or bananas or do you have tuna or something or do you have barley soup, cous cous....what?????? This is what is confusing the heck out of me.
At least with pts I journalled in a mini meal in between my normal meals, and counted it and ate it, and went on my way, with this I am sooooooo confused. Almost like too much to think about. But the minute I even think about counting points I get the heebee jeebee's
How do you all do it so confidently!!!!! I am envious. I seem to be the only one with issues- BUT don't kick me out of the club just yet
Frannie what exactly are you journalling.....everything??? And is it to see what you are having?? Oh Frannie where did you leave in the States??
Have you been up there long?? Just wondering....Canada would be the only place I would consider living out side the US...My husband thinks I'm nuts!!
Wow some weather most of you are having.....geez.....Although I miss it. Even bought the New York Daily New yesterday because the artilce was about the snow in New York.
Katpo are you combining Wendie and Core and if so how is it going with the different ranges each day. You have the EXACT schedule I did. But those 20 pts day were tough. Saturday SHD I never even got to. How is it going for you. I must tell you, you are just so funny .......you make me laugh so many times in your post with the way you word things, and there are some days that I really need that....so thanks!!
Frouie, Angela,Torrey, Laura, Kathy in VT... how are all of you?? Deborah great going on the 3 month committment on line!!
Vickie your recipe sounds good...I have forwarded it to my email.
I do have a question about the Swiss Miss. The box I picked up is FAT FREE sweetend with Splenda. It's a green box. Is that the one?? There is 0 Fat grams but on the nutrition label it states sugars -7 but it's sweented with Splenda....here I go being confused and anil again Would you please let me know.
ALSO - do you or anyone know a good CORE recipe for Meatloaf?? I looked at the meatloaf mix today but I was not sure - so if anyone has made it since starting Core would you please let me know in your next post....thanks!!
Hope all is well and if you are in any other the COLD states, please be careful and stay warm.......talk with you all tomorrow.....Please send those that it all comes together for me.....thanks !!
Linda......
Old 01-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #147  

Hi Linda, you are one busy person! glad you were ok with your weigh in.....i consider anything less then a pound to be maintaining......could be a difference in the clothes you wear not unless you are like me and own only 1 outfit for weigh in nights!

I am journalling everything. I know I can just tick the boxes and say, yep got my water, fruit, milk and oils but thought i would write down my whole menu including that hamburger I had on Saturday.....I don't usually use my points for that but I had such a craving i just went for it! Sometimes I just hafta to that....

Geez Linda here is my short story on living in the states: Born in Indianapolis, lived in Denver until grade 1, back to Mooresville until Grade 10, then to Beaver, PA, then off to university in Carlinville Illinois and Knoxville Tennessee, then to Indy for a stint of 1 year then to Springfield Illinois then in 1982......to Ontario.......I have actually lived in Ontario now the same amount of time as my states combined......phewwwww........my father transferred everywhere with the airlines!

Now, I cook a lot without recipes and Meatloaf is one of them, lean beef, onion, oats, eggs, ketchup, mustard. Then I would top with ketchup/brown sugar combines and bake........now I would use the Brown Sugar sweetener.......that is it......comfort food for me......I think I will make some this week! I am not a member of the Add Salt club even in my cooking but I might add some pepper, and minced garlic but only a bit.......

oh and someone once told me --- when you are eating, munching along and you have that sigh.......then to listen to it, as your body is trying to say, hey i am full now. does anyone else do that? try it, and when you sigh, take a minute or 2 without eating everything and say.......hummmmm......do i really need anymore? not sure if it will help but i measure by that sometimes.......

fran
Old 01-23-2005, 04:20 PM   #148  
Closed

Frannie I have to tell you - someone at work told me that exact thing about the sigh, but she just laughed when a friend told her. Well, when I first started Core after she told me, I used that theory and it ACTUALLY did work( for me) So at lunch when I would take that big sigh, I'd say well I'm done !! They'd laugh. But I have not done that in quite some time and have managed to screw up.....and NOW you are saying it too...
Starting tomorrow I am going back to that....that is so funny that you heard the same thing...
As for the weather at least PA., got you prepared for the snows of Canada!! Thanks I am going to try the Meatloaf recipe Wednesday night. My husband is in the mood to get his hands mushy, so he volunteered to do that part!!
As for the journalling, I just need to "see" what the heck I am eating. I tried NOT doing it for two days.
I still don't have the satisfied full thing down again yet.....but that sigh theory gives me hope again :-) It worked for when I first started Core in Sept But tell me one more time in case I missed it....you journal but mostly eat core? right?? give or take the few points we may use for something other.
Didn't have a good afternoon, planned to .....just didn't. My husband is at a meeting in FtLauderdale so I'll blame him for my mess up. Just plain Bored!!!
Just had the urge for some tortilla chips and some 'junk' and some chocalate so I did. The end of the 'month' is coming!!!!!! you know the drill
Too much to even consider counting, so I just toss this one up to. "I blew it.....again!!!!!!!!!! Now my new day in my journal is Monday!!! What the heck is going on with me!! Do I have to gain all that I lost back to realize I better get with it!! The 10's are just right now, but a few weeks ago they were big!! Oh boy!!!!!!!!!! Ok, tomorrow for sure
Hope EVERYONE else is ok, and indoors keeping warm in the cold areas.

Talk with you all later............stay warm....Linda

Last edited by L.J; 01-23-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #149  

yep, i journal but mostly eat core........the 35 weekly points allowance i use for my toast, or anything that is not core......
Old 01-23-2005, 07:43 PM   #150  
Southside White Sox Fan

Frannie, I'm glad you liked the website. I thought it was really cool when I first saw it. I refer to it periodically.

Linda, I don't see any problem with journalling while on Core if that makes you feel better. I think I've mentioned that whenever I have a bad week I journal for a week just to be sure that my foods and my portions are not out of control. I get bored too and that is a dangerous thing for me. Now when I know I'm getting bored, I come on here or I go take a bubble bath and read, or I call my Sister or Niece for some distraction. So far, it's been working.

Here's a recipe for Core meatloaf that I saw on another website. I haven't tried it yet but I plan to. Let me know if you try it. The lady who posted it said it is the original recipe off the Quaker Oats box. I'd be tempted to add a little more tomato sauce since the sirloin will be so lean.

Core Meatloaf

1 1/2 lbs. ground sirloin
3/4 c. oatmeal
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 c. tomato sauce
1 egg

Mix it up with your hands (no other way to do it right), and bake 350 degrees for 1 hour, 15 minutes. Add a coating of ketchup to the whole top for the last 15 minutes of baking. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting/serving.

Last edited by Vickie; 01-23-2005 at 08:22 PM.
Closed Thread