Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 08:13 PM   #1  

Default Why do they do that?

Today at work we had a meeting with a catered lunch. Guess what lunch was. Pizza, salad (with tons of feta cheese in it) and bread sticks. I opted for the salad and tried to pick out most of the feta. Why can't anyone at work order healthier foods? So many people in my deptartment are on WW. It meant that we had 5 pizza left over and most of the bread sticks. We ask and ask for healthier foods, but no one listens (or they say "But we bought Diet Soda").
I actually brought extra food with me in case they had high fat food again. I ate my pineapple and baby carrots, then had a bit of salad.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:20 PM   #2  
Samantha

I agree with that! I have a similar problem at my job, except it is my coworkers bringing the fattening foods! I also find it easier to bring my own foods on days that I know they will be ordering so that I am not tempted.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:47 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

We have a lot of customer (Air Force) lunches and catered events. It's usually something like BBQ, pizza -- all things I have to pick around and try not to be so obvious, especially when the customer is there.

Off topic, Loralee I see you are from Texas and so is Samantha! Hey there! I'm in the DFW area.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:50 PM   #4  
Samantha

Amarillo here!!
Old 09-15-2004, 11:06 PM   #5  

Actually - I'm from San Marcos, California. Not San Marcos, Texas. Hello and greeting anyways. I travel to Texas a lot for my job. People are so nice there.
{I live just North of San Diego.}
Old 09-16-2004, 07:56 AM   #6  
Samantha

loralee - I didn't even know there was a San Marcos CA!!
Hey I have a suggestion...has anyone ever seen the Lean Cuisine French Bread Pizzas? They are really good! Anyone who is low-carb dieting, they wouldn't work for you, but they have approx 5 g fat and about 300 calories. They also only cost about $2. Maybe next time you know about a "pizza" party at work (or wherever) you can opt to bring one of those!

Sam
Old 09-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #7  

I've got a lot of work-related luncheon functions I attend and it is a real test for me. The food is not very healthy but definitely yummy. I do my best at eating around what's being served...squeeze lemon juice on my salad instead of using the creamy dressing, scrape the sauce off of the chicken and eat the steamed veggies. Sometimes I'll eat the rice/pasta and count it.

The catered lunches are not much better. They usually get stuff that's cheese or creamy and not at all healthy. My coworkers aren't diet friendly either. I get the "eating it just one time won't hurt" talk.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:13 AM   #8  
Running Babe

I know about the "it won't hurt to eat that" thing. For example I have a lunch at a diet unfriendly restaurant today. I'll do my best though, but I am in fact saving all my points for a wedding this weekend... sigh...

Cheers!

Ali
Old 09-16-2004, 10:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Loralee, sounds like you handled yourself well!! Congrats!! But I can see the frustration. I'm sure your company pays for it and pizza is probably cheap and quick to order... I hope things change around there in the future for you all! But great job on your choices!
Old 09-16-2004, 02:08 PM   #10  

Have you offered to be on the committee that does the ordering? Then maybe you could get some healthier fare.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:32 PM   #11  
Happy Loser

My work is like that too, only I don't eat beef or pork, so I get the "well can't you pick it out?" No, cuz it has meat germs in it!
Old 09-17-2004, 06:41 AM   #12  
14 lbs to go!!

Yesterday at work they all brought desserts...everything from pumpkin roll to chocolate chip cookies. A whole cube was loaded with all of these desserts!! Of course each member of my team has to stop by to see if I am partaking or not, and I get the 'It isn't going to kill you to have one piece' crap. I think they do it just to justify their own piggishness...LOL. Usually I just quote that dude in "Born in East LA" and screech "GET BEHIND ME SATAN".
Old 09-17-2004, 07:41 AM   #13  
Samantha

LOL I agree, angie - misery loves company. They don't want to think that you will lose weight without them...I know, because I used to be there!!!!
Closed Thread