Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 03:53 PM   #16  

OK - now I'm more excited about trying Core from counting points - I have done low-carb before and really feel better when I stay away from bad carbs. I have lost almost 35 pounds on counting points, but probably will do better if I stay away from those things. I have my meeting tonight - still not clear on the bread/starch issue, so I will make sure I ask if someone else doesn't.

CIN - A LEADER AMONG US - GREAT!!!!! We loving having access to you, especially since we only have our meetings once a week and could use some guidance through this new program!!!!

Derry - keep coming with ideas/recipes, I'll add as I come up with things and see the program in print.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:08 PM   #17  

I make omelets with 1 egg and 2 egg whites all the time - just don't care much for eggbeaters and their high price. I think this plan is going to be great. Can't get to a meeting until Saturday, so you guys will be ahead of me in the weight loss game. Some foods are not core, like the flavored yogurt, because WW eliminated from core those foods people tend to overdo on. That's also wh FF cream cheese isn't on the list. Those fast food restaurants inject their chicken with a mixture that contains sugar so that's why the chicken isn't core. I'm sure if it's only an occasional thing it won't really matter that much. I'm thinking that'w why a lot of the frozen dinners are also off limits - processed meats and way too much gravy. I'd love it if they'd come out with some that were just meat and veggies. I love the Life Choice ones.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:57 PM   #18  

Is it possible to have a board for just CORE people?
Old 08-25-2004, 08:34 PM   #19  
Janette

So glad to see all the posters that are trying the Core plan! Welcome CIN. I am doing ww online so I don't have the materials everyone else has so I will learn from what yall talk about. One question, why does the cereal have to be with skim milk or yogurt? I thought that just meant that you could not eat the cereal with full fat milk or fruit yogurt!
Let's stay exicted and keep putting those recipe and meals plans down so we can alll get suggestions. I had a banana today. The first one I've had in a long time cause I didn't want to spend the extra point! I had beef fajitas for supper with ff refried beans and brown rice. I also stopped eating the fajita when I felt full and only had to count 3 points for the ff flour tortilla (It was the large type!). I feel great after only 3 days on plan. Have to go for me walk. Talk to everyone later.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:46 AM   #20  
Janette

Good Morning Everyone.
CIN, I have another question. It says coffee without sugar. Does that mean I can use the non-dairy creamer? It has 10 calories with 0fat and 0 sugar. I used to always drink my coffee black but somehow got hooked on the liquid creamers.
Susan, I wondered about the flavored yogurts. It didn't make sense to me that 2 core foods combined would not be a core food! I used it on points as a way to get calcium and protein since I don't like meat much. I only ate it once a day.
I plan to go over the food list and make a shopping list (on excel) that I can use to stock up on the core foods I will eat. I am cleaning off a shelf on my pantry for them to make it a little easier.
I wasn't hungry after dinner last night. Did even want a glass of milk. Guess the full factor is working for me. I can see a difference in my energy level-guess it is because I am not getting the sugar anymore! I even got a vitamin down yesterday morning!
Have a good OnCore Day everyone!
Janette
Old 08-26-2004, 07:39 AM   #21  

Hi again guys!
I've been having fun brainstorming (wish I had been a professional cook way back when I made career choices, oh well!) about recipes! I should probably try to write a cookbook one day....
What if you took whole wheat pasta, such as ziti, cooked a serving (a serving being what the box tells you is a serving, not how much fills a big bowl guys!!!!) and mixed it with canned diced tomatoes. Then add a bit of oregano or italian seasoning to a half cup of ff cottage cheese, a pinch of garlic powder if you'd like, and mix in a small individual sized casserole dish. For bulk, you could add a bit of tofu, if you like that, or the meat free crumbled hamburger substitute, or real lean hamburger, chicken or beans? I could just do it as a lunch without the "bulk" but one could make a dinner out of it that was more substantial with something else added. You could also toss in cooked, leftover zucchini or a small can of mushrooms, etc. Then, sprinkle ff cheese over top and pop in the micro long enough to melt the cheese. Might be pretty good! In fact, one could make a casserole to feed a family in a similar fashion and they would never really judge it as "diet food", which is my big "test". One can add sauteed onion and garlic of course, but I was initially thinking of this as a quickie lunch idea, but an entire meal could work with this, just use portion control.... if you make up a casserole, use 4 "portions" as per the pasta box and 1/2 cup ff cottage cheese per person. Cottage cheese is much like ricotta in recipes and something I tend of have on hand in the house more than ricotta. But, I think there is ff ricotta as well and I think it was on the core list???? Then, add a salad and you've got a great dinner!
Also, if you were making that pasta anyway, boil a little extra whole wheat pasta and add it to you favorite low sodium ff chicken broth (I use Swanson) and add a bit of chopped up chicken and you've got your own core homemade chicken soup! If you've got scallions on hand or parsley, a little bit on top might be nice. We can do this guys! I also freeze leftover veggies such as string beans, carrots, etc in a gallon sized zip lock bag. Whatever is left in the pot after diinner goes into the bag. I made that WW garden veggie soup and just dump in the already cooked, chopped veggies that I have on hand. In winter, when I slow cook beef stew in my crock pot, I just dump my bag of frozen veggies into it or when I make (not core) homemade chicken pies, I've always got veggies to toss in. Adding a few veggies would make it more filling. A pinch of basil and you've got chicken soup to south the soul!
Also, another "treat" that I have had that is really good...... Make your own banana "ice cream", totally core! Freeze a ripe banana in sections. When frozen you can toss it in your food processor or blender and add about a half cup of skim milk. It becomes a creamy taste sensation that you would swear was some kind of "shake" that was made at an ice cream parlor. Then, you can re-freeze it to make ice cream of put in a frosty glass and eat, luxuriously, with a spoon. For an extra point, a tsp or two of herseys syrup over top or a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips blended in is good! Try this!
I'm going to keep putting on my thinking cap. I love to cook and, truly, this is what led me to join ww as I got "overly" creative!
Still trying to think of take along lunch ideas for my 13 year old who is coming to ww with me..... that is very hard unless she uses points for bread, but even cold cuts are NOT core..... is there any thing one could put in a sandwich that would taste good, not look "weird" to her fellow high school students tha she would like? We think she might be better staying on the flexpoint system, actually.
Linda in NH where it's going to be a THIN day!
My scale dipped down a pound this morning, I know it's not weigh in day but I am a scaleaholic!
Linda
Old 08-26-2004, 09:02 AM   #22  

One more quick post on my way out the door..... trying to plan a great dinner tonight!
I have a London Broil steak and none of the core plan info is worded in terms of defining that cut of beef as sirloin, round or what? So, would that be "core" or not core????? Help!
I plan on using it as it was purchased and in my freezer anyway, but don't know how to count it.
Just wait til I share a few more things with you guys, just don't have time right now!
Linda
Old 08-26-2004, 09:06 AM   #23  
CIN

Default Good Morning

Good Morning Ladies!
Thank you for making me feel soooooooooooooooo welcome !

I dont want to disappoint you all but I do want to tell you I wil pop in when I can. Time wont permit me to read every post.....wish I could.

Fiftieslady.....why the milk with the oatmeal etc? I dont know the why behind it.wish I did but I trust it is with a good reason if WWers makes that choice. As far as the 0 point cream.the 0 point food are the same on Core............just watch the servings....as long as they are not in excess..they should be fine.like sugar free jello etc!

I am helping my daughter move today.....................will check in later if I can.

I see there are many people on the boards who are just as qualified as I am...remember what I said yesterday..............it isnt our opinion that counts with WWers.It is going by the book and accepting it. All of us are in essence Weight Loss experts.......and we all learn from each other. I get my best ideas from my members! AND I have got many ideas and tips from the boards in 3 fatchicks for a few years! This is my favorite place!

Later
Cin~
Old 08-26-2004, 09:13 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Hello all! May I Join you??

My name is Spryng (pronounced spring) mother to 3. I am a SAHM and have been on ww for almost a year now! It will be one year next month. I hit my goal weight back in april and have been trying to get to my personal goal weight of 120 lbs and haven't even hit 125 yet.
I love this new Core program! Today is day 3 for me and my scale is going down! (my signature says 125.5 but pms had a hold of my last WI and I was 126) I do ww at home and didn't get the new list and all that, not from ww anyway, but I did get it from my aunt who is on ww online. I LOVE CORE! I love not having to count soooo many things. I have to admit, being on ww for almost a year now I was getting burnt out on counting pts and was thinking about stopping counting and doing it on my own, but I'm glad I waited because now there is a plan just for me!!!
But anyway, I wanted to introduce myself and join this group! And about those frozen bananas--- how do you freeze them? in a ziplock or something? and do they turn black? do you remove the peel first? that smoothie/icecream sounds like something I would love and so would my kids. Do you have to let them thaw a little before blending them up with the skim milk?

I hope to get to know you all a little better as time goes on! See you soon!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #25  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi. Great ideas. Here's one for yogurt that my WW leader suggested last night. Using the Core ff plain yogurt, set it in a coffee filter in a strainer in your fridge overnight. In the morning you'll have a thicker nicer textured yogurt. To that you can add Splenda, vanilla and/or any berries or fruit you'd like to use to flavor your yogurt. Sounds great to me.

I went out to dinner last night at Outback and had a steak and baked potato with olive oil to top it off. I had decaf coffee and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I could have had a salad, but was happy without it.

So, here's to possibilities *and* to losing weight!
Judy
Old 08-26-2004, 10:32 AM   #26  

I am making CORE stuffed peppers for dinner with brown rice and tomato soup, with lean ground beef. I am on day 2 of CORE and MOVE it!! Coming off of strict Atkins (14 weeks), this is heaven to me!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:39 AM   #27  

Livvi, I LOVE stuffed peppers! Care to share the recipe? I'm looking for any and all core recipes today because I'll be going grocery shopping tomorrow. So I would appreciate it!

Ok, gotta get off here and get some housework done... TTYL!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:42 AM   #28  

I had my meeting on Tuesday and although I am not doing Core this week, I am thinking of doing it next week. I had my fridge stocked with food to use with the Flex program and wanted to get rid of that before another round at the store. But I have a question, what is everyone eating for breakfast? Is there any cereal that is "core"?
Thanks!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:50 AM   #29  

I had oatmeal sweetened with splenda for breakfast yesterday and it really filled me up! Today I plan on having the same or boiled eggs with some fruit, haven't decided yet. I haven't stocked up yet on core foods but I will tomorrow! I'm looking for meal ideas too.

Ok, lol... I really am getting off here, lol. I had to get back online to look up a recipe for ranch chicken, which is what I am having tonight. If I don't use the bread crumbs it will be completely core... but I wonder what difference that will make. Probably just a texture difference and not a taste. Hmmm... what do you think?
Old 08-26-2004, 11:01 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi everyone:

Since I had lots of flex/plan food in house, I thought I would eat as I would normally on flex but track on Core & after 2 days I am totally out of Core points! Anyone else have this problem?
Closed Thread