Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:02 PM   #106  

Hi ladies, just checking in real quick, I am getting ready for bed. Had a busy day, this is my first chance to say hi.
Vickie my thoughts are with you, like Kathy said the next few days are going to be emotionally & physically draining, take care of yourself.

Kathy good luck with Erin.

I will catch up with everyone tomorrow I really need to get to bed. Good Nite!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 276.8/265.4/160

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning!

Vickie - though I just "met" you, you and your best friend's family are in my thoughts and prayers

Kathy - my Christmas tree is still up too

DH and I went out with our closest friends lastnight to celebrate my birthday - I think even though I didn't eat Core, I did rather well. We went to a local Mexican "hole-in-the-wall" type place. It is the most authentic Mexican in our area of Maryland - quite yummy.

Though today to compensate, Hubster and I went for a long walk this morning.

I have TONS of grading to do today - I HATE mid-term time

Thanks Rhonda The lei is from our honeymoon - we went to Kaua'i, Hawai'i in June/July

Last edited by MDturtle0624; 01-28-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #108  

Thanks, Ann. It's nice to know I'm not alone! It's not looking good for today either because Judd has to get his things ready for the coming week. He'll be testing with the AF so he has to dress differently than he ordinarily would.

I'm going to go look for a new pair of black shoes this afternoon, and then go to PetSmart to get Bindy a comb. She is in serious need of one of these things: ShedEnder. I'm so tired of sweeping up dog hair.

Other than that, there's just a bunch of random housework and cooking. I hope everybody has a great day!
Old 01-28-2007, 10:37 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning All:

Coco: you didn't say if your husband needs to lose weight, so I want to say if that is part of what he needs, I hope he can do that. I don't know anything about that rice you mentioned. But, I do know that many cardiac problems can be reduced through diet and increased activity. Not all of them though, of course.

Ann: I went to Hawaii for the first time in May, 2004. It was an exciting trip. I really enjoyed going to Volcano National Park in Hilo. It was awesome, in the true sense of the word.

Ann and Kathy: My tree has been down for a long time, but I leave a strand of lights up outside just to add some cheer during dark January. My neighbors probably think I'm just lazy, but I bet that they enjoy the lights also.

Frouf: I'm really proud of you on the treadmill...GO GIRL! I love the image of your slicked up toes! I'm doing my WATP 3 miles every day until the end of the month, then I'm going to figure out a routine for Pilates, aerobics and walking.

Yesterday I went to see my ex in-laws. My MIL's Alzheimer's is really affecting her mood, and she is very challenging: one minute cuddly; the next, nasty. Poor FIL hangs in there but needs more help than he is asking for.

Today, I'm spending time with ex's niece and her daughter, whom I love as if they were my own flesh and blood (well, if I think about it, more than some of my "own"!).

So, I'm "out and about" this weekend, and I need to be home a report. There are not enough hours in my day, or there's too much to do!!

Rhonda
Old 01-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #110  

Good morning ladies, we are getting ready to go to Mil house it is her birthday today. We have not seen dh's family for Christmas so the kiddies will get there presents today. Looks like my son was up late at his sleepover last night he is out cold on the sofa, looks like he had fun.

Kathy don't feel bad about the tree, we still have our lights and decorations outside. Looks like we will be having Christmas in July.

Tejas you are as busy as a bee, like I could talk I have to cut this short and shower and be out of the house by 1pm.

Coco I hope you find out some promising results on the herbs.

Froufy way to go on the exercise, I need to get my %$& in gear & exercise.

Talk to you all later
Old 01-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #111  

Height: 5' 10"

Happy Sunday all. Well, I am now stocked up on core lunches. I made the salmon noodle casserole yesterday and a big, big pot of sweet potato chicken barley soup. The soup is fabulous! In total I made 4 servings of salmon and 11 bowls of soup! I have 5 lunches out for the week and about 8 in the freezer (has salmon yesterday and soup/salad today). If I didn't post the chicken soup recipe I'll do it tomorrow -- It has 1/2 c celery, 1 large onion, 3C carrots, 2 parsnips, 1 bell pepper, I threw in some mushrooms I had and 3 cloves of garlic, along with the chicken, barley and sweet pots. Its yummy! and it does freeze well. Got to love that.

Thanks for everyone's support on my indulgence on Friday. The more I think about what I did eat and could have eaten, i guess I did stay a bit in control.

Melissa, I have been writing down what I eat and doing flore. I think its been helping -- we'll see what the scale says next week.

Vickie - continued hugs to you over the next few days. I'll also continue to pray for you all as well.

Kathy - when does Erin see the Dr? Keep us updated on what happens. Also, glad the counter isn't too bad. I've not told DH about a few things -- eventually he does notice and I just shrug. At least now it may have been me or it could have been Sarah

Frouf -- Congrats on the treadmilling (if that a word!) You have been consistant and thats great!

Its very warm here today compared to the last few days -- its been in the 40s. DH has been out back burning brush and Sarah is now napping. Not to burden you all, but I just need to share something. My mom's brother passed away last week from cancer. This is her second sibling to die in a year, my aunt passed last January from stomach cancer. Well, I was being a good daughter and called to check on my mom. Well, she starts in on how she is leaving my dad - she's looking for apartments and will be just packing a bag and moving out. She is planning on switching bank accounts tomorrow and she'll find someplace close by so she can still watch Sarah and my other niece and nephew. Then she asks, who is this? I tell her -- OK, with 7 kids she doesn't always just recognize voices - we do sound alike. Then she asks why I called? And I said to check to see how she is doing and she then says " Just great, what else do you want!" And basically hung up on me.

I then called one sister - there happened to be 2 other sisters at her house, told them all what happened. My sister did talk to my dad - he said he stuck his foot in his mouth this morning, my sister said -- you are apologizing, right? He said he has been all morning.

OK, my mom and dad have been married 56 years this April. In all honesty they do have their arguments, but they have always had a great relationship.....I'm not sure what to think. Another sister said she talked to ma last night after they got in from dinner and she was in a great mood. She did say today was going to be difficult since she had been going up to see my uncle on Sunday. I hope they have smoothed things over. I'm hoping its just a greiving moment.

UGH --
Old 01-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #112  

Holy moley moley MOLEY, Paula! I would absolutely be crazy with freaking out right now! What is up with your mom??? I hope you're right that she's just grieving, but if you see she's serious, I would totally consider having her see her doctor for a thorough checkup. Maybe something else is going on with her. Your poor dad -- I hope this stuff gets resolved. And aren't family politics just the worst?? Ugh! Bless your heart.

I went to the grocery store for a few things, then bought a pair of tan shoes, then to Subway to get Judd some lunch. Now I'm making his chicken and brown rice for the next few days. I made my breakfast (a scrambled egg and container of milk), some tuna salad, coleslaw with shrimp, and then for dinner will have the pork tenderloin and salad. I can't figure out why I don't like pork chops but could eat the tenderloin for every meal. It must be something to do with the proximity of the bone. Who knows?

Clothes are all picked out and waiting for the morning. I'm going to get to work early so I can park up close, because I have lots of 12-pks of Coke to take into the office. Also, that means I can leave early.

Shaun is still hanging in there despite some serious issues he's going thru. His 'a' school might not start on time since there's only one instructor and lots of students. He's been on hold since the week before Christmas and the way it looks now, school won't start until mid-April. He's really getting tired of it but choices aren't his to make. Oh and the chief told them the other day that any of them could be put on a carrier and sent to Iraq at a moment's notice, then do 'a' school when they get back. I don't know what that was all about, but I think they just try to scare them to keep them in order.

Happy day to all -- I'll check back in a little bit.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #113  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katpo View Post
I can't figure out why I don't like pork chops but could eat the tenderloin for every meal. It must be something to do with the proximity of the bone. Who knows?
I know this doesn't give any insight - but I am the same way with pork chops with the bone.

What we do is buy the boneless chops at Costco (like BJs or Sam's Club) and freeze them.

What kind of school is this that is on hold? It is a college/university or a specialized training school?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #114  

Oh sorry. I should be posting a bio each time I write something -- my kids are very labor-intensive.

Shaun is the oldest, and is 29. He is in the Navy and just left last summer. It has been an up and down process to get him "grown", if I can even claim that status for him yet. His dad is in prison and he's never had ANY type of family support except for me. I was married again after his dad and I divorced, and although I was married for 15 years, the day I left was the day that guy pulled the plug on Shaun. He had been the "dad" since Shaun was 4 but somehow turned off any and all feelings and walked away. He hasn't seen him since, and that's been nearly 10 years. So Shaun has been floundering and bumbling his way thru his 20s. He moved back in with us in the summer of '05. Oh and us = my new (uh ... 3rd) husband who is 12 years younger than me. That's a whole 'nother story. We've been married for 9 years.

So this school is his apprenticeship school that is the second part of his avation electronic training. He was in Great Lakes IL for several months and is now in San Diego.

Erin is 23 and is a senior at UT Arlington. She will be going to pharmacy school in the fall. She's the one who will be going to the surgeon next week because of bad mammo's and ultrasounds. Meanwhile, she's still here at home with us but is the most pleasant child, hard working and diligent and CLEAN. That's a biggie considering that Shaun and Kate could thrive in a hogpen.

Kate is 20 and works for Wells Fargo bank. She's in an apartment and is doing well so far. She is the balance between Shaun and Erin. Shaun is all play, Erin is all business ... Kate has friends, works hard, saves money, still manages to pay her bills while having fun, and is usually happy.

And those are the kiddos.

Last edited by Katpo; 01-28-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:40 PM   #115  
focused and aiming

hello, friends. we are home from bozeman. i've been reading trying to catch up. i am so sad to learn about cindy's passing.

vickie, i am so sorry. i don't know what to say. i have a dear friend of 30+ years. i don't know what i'd do if she passed. even though we now live almost 2000 miles apart, we still talk on the phone almost daily. bless your heart. it makes me want to cry to know you're hurting. i am visualizing you now going through old photos having many wonderful memories. shed your tears; cling to your memories.

i want to welcome those new here and those who have just returned.

i will be back tomorrow. right now, i'm feeling sad and am needing to get offline.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #116  

Hi Everyone
Hope everyone has had a good relaxing Sunday.
It has been snowing off and on all day. But not really getting much. But now I see that the roads are starting to get bad. But you know. As I sit here watching the cars. There are some driving like there isnt a thing on the road. And others are taking caution. And then people wonder why there are wrecks.
KATPO I will keep your daughter and you in my prayers.
VICKIE you are in my prayers. Take care of yourself.
TEJAS. Hubby needs to lose about 30 lbs. It is hard for him to exercise. He does try to walk some every day. But on days like today. With it being cold and snowy. He isnt able to. I am going to see what his DR thinks about sending him to a dietician. Maybe that will help too. But there is also a family history of high cholestrole too.
Well I will get off here for now.
Thinking of all of you.
Coco.
P. S. I dont feel so bad. I still have my Christmas tree up too. Will have to try and work on that this week.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:39 PM   #117  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Hi chickies,

Is the weekend already almost over??? ugh!

Ann - BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sounds like you had a lovely dinner - and a nice walk to compensate - good for you!

Rhonda - have you 'warmed' up a bit? It was around -20 today - almost balmy out! At least you could walk from the car to the grocery store without freezing any part of your body .

Vickie - thinking of you and sending you good wishes to help you get thru this difficult time.!

Welcome back Sandra - so how did it go? What did you do?

Quote:
just opted not to tell him at this particular time. Now I just have to hope that he doesn't read the board
So Kathy - did Judd notice any strange counter spots today? I just had to laugh! Do you remember when I drove into my driveway last winter - a bit to close to dh's car - I had a nice red 'stripe' along the bottom side of my van - and he had a scratch on his? I never said anything....a few weeks ago he FINALLY noticed the scratch on my van - and was livid and muttering about how some people can't drive and look what they did - and you can't even park anywhere public anymore for fear of people damaging your vehicle - I was a very bad froufie - and so far I have stil not fessed up. Wondering if he wil put 2+2 together if he ever sees the 'matching' scrape along the side of his red Honda???

Coco - I think a dietitian is a good idea for you dh - and what about doing a tape indoor - like the walking tapes? The Leslie Sansone ones are really good for beginners!

Paula - what a horrible horrible situation! I sure hope it was just a 'bad moment' for your mom and you and your sisters and dad can talk some sense into her? This all seems so sudden!

We did not end up going out saturday night as dh was too tired and went to bed at 9 pm (party pooper ). Did a few errands during the day, visited the bunnies at the mall - then dh and ds went skating at the indoor area with ds' friend.

Today I was supposed to meet my best gf for her birthday breakfast - but she called me sat night to say she had the FLU! So we have rescheduled to next weekend. Had a bit of a headache most of the day - not sure why? Did some groceries today and lots of cooking - made a nice pot roast in the crockpot, and a minestrone like soup (leftover ground beef, carrots, onions, zucchini, can of spaghetti sauce, chicken broth, red wine, worcestshire sauce, spices, red kidney beans, and broken up spaghetti) - turned out superb!...and I have packed up a container for my lunch tomorrow.

Ended up going to the 'cheap' movie theatre w/ dh and little ds to see Happily never after - pretty cute. Yes I filled up on popcorn and diet pepsi so not much dinner for me.

I have also already completed my 45 mins on the treadmill - complete with 'slicked toes' and a bandaid just in case! Not to bad as I made it thru - next week I have to up the time to 50 mins and I don't know how I will do that - it seems soooo long! But I must persevere and complete my 'lose to cruise' challenge! Hope to see some 'scale movement' by tomorrow - that would be so nice! (except I now realize that the 'salty popcorn' may wreck that plan!).

I dread tomorrow - as I know my manager will have TONS of feedback and I will basically have to redo that nasty report I was working on on Friday - oh well - maybe a good night's sleep will help me deal with it better?

Froufie
Old 01-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #118  

Thanks Froufie! Where in Canada are you? My Dad was born and raised in Newfoundland

Thanks for filling me in Kathy!

I finished grading all of my students mid-term exams (*phew!) - tomorrow we have a teacher work day, so no students.. but I have a TON of things to do tomorrow (the "To-Do" list is growing every minute!)

Anyway - I'm off to bed.. Night ladies!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:35 AM   #119  

Morning Everyone
Not much going here.
Need to get a few things done.
It is starting to snow again. But at least the roads look a little better than last night.
The schools are on a 2 hour delay. I really dont have to worry about schools anymore. Except my son goes to school 2 nights a week. So if they dont have school during the day. He dont have to go at night. So he will have to go tonight.
I am suppose to weigh in tonight. Weather permitting. I am not looking forward to weighing in. But I know I have too. And then too. I know I only did this myself. So face the scales. Put it behind me. And make tomorrow a fresh start. I am so glad that I am able to be back on here.
Just by this. I am inspired again. Thanks too all of you.
Well will get off here for now.
Hope everyone has a great day.
Stay warm.
coco
Old 01-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #120  

Height: 5' 10"

Good morning all.

Well, talked to my sister this morning for an update on my mom and dad. Basically my mom overreacted to my dad not wearing snow boots yesterday morning. Yes, the man is 84 not 4, but she was pi$$ed to say the least. We have all come to the agreement that she is just very emotional - she didn't have time to greive for her sister before her brother got very sick. My sister did say she felt bad for venting on me yesterday. I need to find a moment and call her today. I have my annual review at 11, don't think I can deal with a conversation with her prior to that.

UGH....

BBL
Closed Thread