wild rice?

• is it Core? its sort of brown in color.......
  • I don't think it is but I would have to look at the CFC to know for sure.
  • I didnt see it on the Core list that I have but someone told me wild rice isnt really a rice..so I was hoping. I just looked at the can and its only 56 calories for 1/2 a cup. I believe thats way less then regular rice so I can count the points. My BIL gave us a case of it (he harvests it) and its so good, and good for you. Last night I sauteed onion, celery, green pepper and garlic then threw in a can of wild rice.....was it ever good! and filling.
  • patti, this sounds good. you're making me hungry. wish i had some wild rice.
  • Sandra, I checked out another site and it said wild rice is core but there was some discussion of whether it was like br. rice and only allowed once a day or whether it was unlimited. I think Im going to count it as core myself,,,it is a grain not rice. What would you do?
  • patti, i think i'd try it as core but would monitor my losing. if it slowed me down, i'd stop it. let us know what you decide and how it works.
  • good idea,,,I was also thinking of using it the same way we can eat pasta or br rice.
  • Patti, sorry it took me so long to respond. Wild rice is absolutely, definitely Core. It's listed in the Complete Food Companion (my bible!) as Core. 1 cup cooked is 3 points and one cup cooked brown rice is 4 points. I looked at my week one Getting Started booklet and it doesn't specifically address wild rice. If wild rice is really a grain, then I suspect that there are no limits on how you eat eat like barley. If it were me, I'd try to limit it to once a day. If you want a definitive answer, you could call the 800 WW number and ask them. I did that way back in the beginning for a couple of items. I wanted to know if Healthy Choice Split Pea and Ham was Core and I also wanted to know if the 6 potatoes in the can would keep me from having a potato serving at dinner. The answer was it's core and no the potatoes are minimal. So if you are using a bit in soup at lunch, you can probably still get away with a starch at dinner. It's good advice to monitor it and see if it affects your weight loss. Everything affects mine at the moment!
  • See, Vickie knows everything. I forgot to look in my CFC.
  • Thanks Vickie and Melissa,,,,and I am going to keep it to once a day.