Cola Baked Beans?

• Heard someone on another board talking about this, but nobody seems to have the recipe. Anyone here know how to make core "Cola Baked Beans?"
  • here's what i found at ask.com. i hope it helps you.

coca-cola slow cooked baked beans
    Provided by: Kelly Russell

Category: Easy Side Dishes

Ingredients:

1 can pinto beans (or red)
    6 ounces coca-cola
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1/4 cup diced green pepper
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 tbsp mustard
    6-8 strips bacon

How to Prepare:

In heavy skillet, saute 2 strips of bacon with the onion and green pepper until the onion is golden brown. Stir in all of the other ingredients except the remaining bacon. Bring to a low boil. Pour into a greased casserole dish. Place the remaining bacon across the beans. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.

i'm sure you could substitute diet coke and canadian bacon. i don't know if sf/brown sugar would be good or not. what do ya'll think?
  • Just for an experiment, I would probably omit the bacon and use SF maple syrup in place of the brown sugar. It will probably taste different, but might still be good.
  • that sounds like a good idea, kathy.
  • I would also use pork 'n beans, but for Core would use vegetarian baked beans. They used to be checked Core but I don't know if they're on the corrections list.
  • vegetarian baked beans are no longer core. bummer! right?
  • I always meant to try these from Barbos site but I'd make them sweeter. Let me know if you make them and they are good.

Rancher's Beans
    cooking spray
    1/4 cup onion, chopped
    16 ounces kidney beans, canned, light red
    16 ounces great northern beans, canned
    8 ounces tomato sauce, no salt added
    3 tablespoons tomato juice without salt
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    2 tablespoons brown sugar substitute
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

Coat a medium saucepan with cooking spray; place over medium high heat until hot. Add onion; saute until tender.

Add kidney beans and remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat, uncovered, 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serves 9.
  • I was afraid of that!
  • This is what I have saved from my Core Yahoo Group:

EASY COLA BAKED BEANS - about 6 servings

Drain and rinse 3 cans (16 oz. ea) assorted beans (kidney, black and pinto work well)
    Mix with 1/2 cup tomato puree (I used a can of crushed tomatoes and pureed with my hand wand blender)
    2 TBS spicy brown mustard
    1 TBS cider vinegar
    1//2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1 1/2 cups diet cola

Turn into a greased 8" x 8" pan.
    Bake at 375F until beans are hot and bubbly, about 1 hour.