Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 06:42 PM   #1  

Exclamation Recipe of the Day: Breakfast Burrito

Hi everyone! I've decided to do a recipe of the day thread. That way, we can have new recipes more visible for everyone, and share great ideas. I just got a new cookbook (diabetic!) that has tons of yummy-looking recipes that are either Core or very close. So, I'll post the recipe here, and also in our Core Recipes board, so it will be able to be found later.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Breakfast Burrito

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup canned black beans -- rinsed and drained
1/3 cup chunky salsa
2 whole eggs -- slightly beaten
2 tablespoons skim milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
nonstick cooking spray
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup fat-free shredded cheese
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
4 teaspoons snipped fresh mint

In a small saucepan mash the beans slightly. Stir in salsa. Cook and stir over low heat till heated through. Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.

In a small bowl beat together eggs, milk, pepper, and salt. Coat a 10" nonstick omelet pan (or skillet with flared sides) with cooking spray. Heat over med heat till a drop of water sizzles.

For each egg "tortilla," pour about 1/4 cup of the egg mixture into the pan. Lift and tilt pan to spread egg mixture over bottom. Return to heat. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 min or till ligh brown on bottom (do not turn). Loosen edges with a spatula; carefully slide onto a serving plate, browned side down.

To assemble, spread the bean mixture onto egg tortillas just below centers. Top with tomato and half of the cheese. Fold each in half, then into quarters to form a burrito. Top with sour cream and remaining cheese; sprinkle with mint. If desired, serve with additional salsa.

Description:
"Try these zesty burritos for an exciting change of pace."
Old 02-19-2005, 06:51 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

OMG! YUMMM!! I'm having this tomorrow ... I can't wait!

Great idea, by the way, to have the recipe of the day. I need new ideas.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:31 AM   #3  

Default My Core Breakfast

Here is my basic Core Breakfast I eat most mornings. I will also post to Core Recipes. I call it "mock" pumpkin pie

1/4 c ff cottage cheese
1/4 c ff plain yogurt
1/4 c pureed pumkin
1/4 of a medium apple, chopped (right now I am using fuji)
cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and splenda to taste

Mix together and serve. For crunch I sometimes add 1/4 c Uncle Sam Cereal for 1/2 point

For those who have busy mornings, I mix a big batch (except cereal) and store in fridge - mix well before scooping to a bowl. BTW - apples do not get brown and stay crunchy through the week. I usually eat 1/2 c before hitting the gym and 1/2 c when I get back.

1 32 oz carton ff cottage cheese
1 32 oz carton ff yogurt
1 29 oz can pureed pumkin
2 chopped apples
Closed Thread