1 medium onion(s)
    1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    1 cup Coca-Cola Diet Coke
    2/3 cup ketchup
    2 Tbsp vinegar
    1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 tsp dry mustard

Instructions

Brown beef and onion in a large skillet. Drain well. Stir in remaining ingredients as listed. Mix well. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Vickie
  • Chicken Fried Rice

12-16 oz Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts or Thighs
    2 Tablespoons and 2 teaspoons canola or olive oil (for 4 servings this would be the day's portion of good oil. You could probably get by with just the 2T if you want)
    4 cloves fresh garlic (I use 1 Tablespoon minced garlic in water in the jar)
    3 cups cooked brown rice (I make mine with chicken broth)
    2 bunch green onions, sliced
    2 T low sodium soy sauce
    4 large eggs, beaten with a fork
    2/3 cup snow peas/pea pods, cleaned (I use a whole package of fancy snow peas from produce department. I also cut them into thirds)
    1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained and quartered.

Cook brown rice to yield 3 cups. Replace water with chicken broth and do not use any oil. Set aside. I broil the chicken in the broiler of my oven for 6 minutes on each side until it is nearly cooked through. I do it this way because I like the flavor the chicken gets in the broiler and because whenever I brown chicken in a skillet I always make it tough. If you are a better "stir fryer" than me you can probably cook the chicken in the pan with the garlic, onions and soy sauce. If you want to cook it in the pan, cut up the chicken before you cook it. If you are going to broil it first, cut up chicken into bite sized pieces after it is cooked and set aside. Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, green onions, soy sauce and cook for about 2 minutes. Add pea pods and water chestnuts and warm for about a minute. Add broiled chicken and brown rice to pan and warm through, stirring occasionally. While the mixture is warming, scramble eggs in a separate skillet. When firm, stir into fried rice mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Vickie
  • Hamburger "muffins"

1/2 cup fine ground corn meal
    1/2 cup FF sour cream
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    Salt to taste

Mix above ingredients and then spoon into muffin tin that has been sprayed with Pam. Spread ingredients around the sides to form a cup. Bake for 5 minutes at 375 degrees to set then fill with the following:

Mix 1/2 pound raw 96% lean ground beef, 1 egg, 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 1/4 cup frozen seasoning blend (onions, peppers, celery), 1/2 cup lime and garlic salsa ... or use your favorite meat loaf type recipe.

Spoon mixture into the corn meal cups and bake until done (about 30 to 45 minutes ... I didn't pay much attention ... just kept checking). Very tasty and filling. I think next time I make these I'll sprinkle with some FF cheddar.

The corn meal mixture only filled 4 large muffin cups but the meat mixture was enough to fill all 6 muffin cups.

I'm also thinking of adding wild rice to the ground beef instead of oats next time around and making those porcupine type meatball things. Or maybe mixing the beef with some black beans and corn for a Mexican type taste. I'm scaring myself with all these cooking ideas!

Deborah
  • The Mexican pie stuff ... using the corn meal crust recipe from the hamburger muffins the other day ... was pretty tasty, I thought. Very filling!!

8 ounces extra lean ground beef
    Frozen seasoning blend (onions/celery/green peppers)
    1 can black beans
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    3/4 cup frozen corn
    Remainder of 1 small can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles

1 cup extra fine corn meal
    1 cup FF sour cream
    1/4 cup of Rotel tomatoes and green chiles
    FF Cheddar cheese

Mix corn meal, sour cream and tomatoes/green chiles together and press into glass pie plate that has been sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle with FF cheddar cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 5 minutes.

Brown ground beef with seasoning blend and drain grease. Rinse black beans until they no longer foam and add to beef. Add pumpkin, corn, and remainder of tomatoes/green chiles to beef and bean mixture. Stir until well-mixed and heated through. Spoon entire contents of pan into pie plate and bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.

Deborah
  • * Exported from MasterCook *

Grouper with Red Pepper Sauce

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 4 ounce fresh or frozen grouper fillets -- 1/2 to 1" thick
    2 cups chopped red bell pepper
    1/2 tablespoon margarine
    2 medium tomatoes -- peeled, seeded, and chopped
    1 tablespoon Splenda
    1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 dash ground red pepper
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary -- crushed

Thaw fish, if frozen. For sauce, in a saucepan cook sweet pepper in hot margarine over medium heat till tender. Stir in tomato, Splenda, vinegar, salt, garlic powder, and ground red pepper. Cook for 5 min more, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Transfer mixture to a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process till smooth. Return to saucepan; cover and keep warm.

Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. In a small bowl combine lemon juice, oil, and rosemary. Brush both sides of fish with lemon mixture.

For a charcoal grill, place fish in a greased wire grill basket, tucking under any thin edges. Place basket on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, turning basket once. (Allow 4-6 min per 1/2" thickness of fish.)

For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place fish in greased grill basket on grill rack directly over heat. Cover; grill as above.

Or, place fish on the greased unheated rack of a broiler pan, tucking under any thin edges. Broil 4" from heat, turning once if fish is 1" thick. (Allow 4-6 min per 1/2" thickness of fish.) Serve sauce with fish.

Description:
    "The red pepper-tomato sauce provides an enticing counterpart to this
    mild, sweet-flavored fish."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 313 Calories; 21g Fat (54.3% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 628mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 4 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Serve it with steamed carrots or asparagus.

NOTES : You will have to count points for the margarine.

If desired, prepare sauce up to 24 hours; cover and chill. Before serving, reheat sauce.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  • I just made a HUGE pot of chili last night. I make a big batch because I like how it freezes. There really isn't much of a recipe but here's what I do.

Two pounds of ground sirloin
    4 teaspoons canola oil (this will help get in some of your healthy oil)
    6 cloves of garlic (or to taste)
    1 cup diced onions
    1 cup diced peppers (I use red because I hate green)
    1 1/4 cups diced celery
    2-28 oz cans of Rold Gold Diced tomatoes
    15 oz can of Rold Gold Diced tomatoes (if you like yours with alot of juice, then use 3-28 oz cans instead of the 15 oz)
    4 Tablespoons chili powder (start with 3 to make sure you like as much as me)
    1 teaspoon cumin
    Hot red pepper flakes (to taste. We like ours hot. Depends on how hot your chili powder is)
    2-15 oz cans Bushs Pinto beans (or kidney or black or whatever you like)

Brown ground sirloin in 5 qt or larger pot and drain. Don't cook on too high of a fire because it make the meat dry and tough. Set pot aside. In separate frying pan add oil, garlic, and all veggies and saute until the onion is translucent and other veggies are getting soft. Add to 5 quart pot. Add canned tomatoes and spices. Turn fire up to medium, cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes stirring pretty frequently so that it doesn't singe on the bottom since this is a big pot. Add beans and let simmer for another 15 minutes until beans are heated through. Stir frequently. Serve with Core Corn bread.
  • Indian Beef Patties
    Description:
    "A refreshing cucumber and yogurt sauce provides the perfect
    complement to these aromatic mint and cumin spiked ground meat
    patties."
    Serving Size : 4
    1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
    2/3 cup cucumber -- chopped and seeded
    1/2 cup onion -- finely chopped
    1/4 cup fresh jalapeno pepper -- finely chopped and seeded
    2 teaspoons dried mint flakes -- crushed
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
    or
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 pound extra lean ground beef, pork, or turkey

For sauce, in a small bowl stir together the yogurt and cucumber. Cover and chill till ready to serve.

In a medium bowl combine the onion, jalapeno pepper, mint, cumin, garlic and salt. Add the ground meat; mix well. Form mixture into four 3/4" thick patties.

For a charcol grill, place patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 14-18 min or till patties are done (160 degrees), turning once.

For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place patties on grill rack directly over heat. Cover and grill as above.

Or place patties on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3-4" from the heat for 12-14 min, turning once.

Serve the patties topped with sauce.
  • Core Salmon
    I got this from a dear friend of mine.

Salmon Fillet (size does not matter, just adjust amount of ingredients to suit the size of your fish)

FF French dressing
    Lemon Juice
    FF Plain Yogurt
    Salt, pepper, dill, paprika
    Pam or olive oil

Lightly spray a foil lined baking sheet with Pam, or spread with a very small amount of olive oil (or olive oil Pam)

Put fish skin-side down
    Salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle on some dill

Mix lemon juice and dressing...1 tbsp juice for every 2 tbsp dressing

Spread juice/dressing mixture on fish
    COVER with yogurt, making sure to get the sides too
    Sprinkle with more dill and some paprika

BAKE at 375 for about 30 minutes...check for doneness...you don't want it to be too dry.

This is delicious hot or cold.
  • Pork with Apple-Onion Sauce

Description:
    "Choose sturdy baking apples such as Rome Beauty, Northen Spy, York
    Imperial, or Cortland for this speedy main dish."

12 ounces pork tenderloin
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme -- crushed
    nonstick cooking spray
    1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
    1 pound baking apples -- cored, halved crosswise, and thinly sliced
    1/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon Splenda
    1 teaspoon ground cumin -- optional
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Trim fat from meat. Cut meat crosswise in 4 pieces. Place each piece of meat, cut side down, between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Working from center to edges, pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to 1/2" thickness. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle meat with the pepper and thyme.

Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over med heat. Add meat to skillet. Cook for 6-8 min or till meat is barely pink in center, turning once. Remove meat from skillet, reserving drippings. Cover meat and keep warm.

Add onion to the reserved drippings in skillet. Cook about 4 min or till onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the apples, water, vinegar, Splenda, cumin (if desired), and salt.

Bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, for 4-5 min or till the liquid is almost evaporated and the apples are moist and tender, turning apples and onion occasionally. Return the meat to skillet; heat through.
  • Pasta with Swiss Chard

Description:
    "If you haven't tried chard, here is your chance. The leaves can be
    prepared similar to spinach; the stalks similar to asparagus. It is
    at its best during the summer."

NOTES : You will have to count points for the Parmesan cheese.

8 ounces whole wheat bow-tie pasta -- uncooked
    12 ounces swiss chard or spinach
    4 cloves garlic
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    3/4 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup skim milk
    2 teaspoons dried basil -- crushed
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    2 medium tomatoes -- seeded and chopped
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese -- finely shredded

Cook pasta according to package directions, except omit any oil or salt. Drain. Return pasta to saucepan; cover and keep warm.

Meanwhile, cut out and discard center ribs from Swiss chard or remove stems from spinach. Coarsely chop greens; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet cook garlic in hot oil over med heat for 15 seconds. Add greens. Cook over medium-low heat about 3 min or till greens are wilted, stirring frequently. Stir in ricotta cheese, milk, basil, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook and stir for 3-5 min more or till heated through.

Add the ricotta mixture and tomato to cooked pasta; toss gently to combine. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese.
  • Egg and Potato Casserole

Description:
    "You can make this broccoli-cheese casserole up to 24 hours in advance
    to save time spent in the morning cooking breakfast."

NOTES : You will have to count points for the flour.

nonstick cooking spray
    1 1/3 cups loose-pack frozen diced hash brown
    potatoes with onion and peppers
    2/3 cup loose-pack frozen cut broccoli or frozen
    cut asparagus
    1/4 cup Canadian bacon -- finely chopped
    1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
    4 teaspoons flour
    1 1/3 cups eggs or egg beaters
    1/3 cup fat-free shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil -- crushed
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Lightly coat four 10 ounce casseroles with cooking spray. Arrange hash brown potatoes and broccoli in bottoms of casseroles; top with Canadian bacon. In a small bowl gradually stir milk into flour. Stir in eggs, half of the cheese, the basil, pepper and salt. Pour egg mixture over vegetables.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 min or till a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 min before serving.
  • French Farmhouse Garlic Chicken

Description:
    "Don't be alarmed by the large amount of garlic in this recipe.
    Cooking garlic makes it sweet and delicious."

NOTES : If you prefer, peel the garlic before cooking (use the flat side of a large knife to mash them slightly, then peel off the skins). Or, as you eat the cooked cloves, simply slip the skins off with the tip of your dinner knife.

You will have to count points for the flour.

4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves -- about 12 ounces total
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    40 small cloves garlic -- unpeeled
    1 cup fat-free chicken broth
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon dried basil -- crushed
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano -- crushed
    4 teaspoons flour
    2 tablespoons fat-free chicken broth
    brown rice -- optional

Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. In a 10" skillet heat oil over med-high heat. Add chicken and garlic cloves. Cook chicken for 2-3 min on each side or just till brown, turning once. Slowly add the 1 cup broth, the lemon juice, basil, and oregano. Cover and simmer for 6-8 min or till chicken is tender and no longer pink.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and garlic to a warm serving platter; keep warm.

In a small bowl stir together the flour and the 2 T. broth. Stir into pan juices. Bring to boiling. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Spoon over chicken. If desired, serve with rice.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 221 Calories; 5g Fat (19.8% calories from fat); 33g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 68mg Cholesterol; 356mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat.

Description:
    "The uncustomary combination of fettuccine, ginger, shiitake
    mushrooms, and sugar snap peas come together for a satisfying meal
    that delivers on Asian flavor."

NOTES : You will have to count points for the cornstarch.

1 1/2 cups dried shiitake mushrooms
    1 cup warm water
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    4 ounces whole wheat fettuccine
    12 ounces skinless boneless chicken breast halves -- cut into 1" pieces
    2 tablespoons dry sherry (I bet you could use ff chicken broth instead)
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    nonstick cooking spray
    1 cup sugar snap peas -- strings and tips removed
    1 cup thin bite-size strips carrot
    4 green onions -- bias-sliced into 1" pieces

In a small bowl combine mushrooms and water; let stand for 15 min. Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid. Squeeze mushrooms to remove excess liquid. Discard stems. Slice mushroom caps; set aside. For sauce, stir constarch into reserved mushroom liquid; set aside.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting any oil or salt. Drain. Return pasta to pan; cover and keep warm. In a bowl, stir together chicken, sherry, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic; set aside.

Lightly coat a wok or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over med-high heat. Stir-fry sugar snap peas and carrot in hot wok for 3-4 min or till crisp-tender. Add onions; stir-fry for 1 min more. Remove vegetables from wok.

Add chicken mixture to hot wok. Stir-fry for 3-4 min or till the chicken is no longer pink. Push chicken from center of wok. Stir sauce; add to the center of the wok. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Return cooked vegetables to the wok. Add mushrooms and cooked pasta. Stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce. Cook and stir about 1 min or till heated through. Serve immediately.
  • Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna
    From Better Homes and Gardens

Healthy begins with a capital "H" in this low-fat, low-calorie pasta dish. This unusual lasagna is layered with spinach and mushrooms and topped with a delicious Tomato and Roasted-Pepper Sauce -- a great way to fill your tummy without adding on the pounds.

Ingredients

3 large onions (1-3/4 lbs.)
    1 pound fresh spinach, trimmed and rinsed (12 cups)
    2 - tomatoes, seeded and diced (2 cups)
    6 ounces mushrooms, chopped (2 cups)
    4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
    1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
    1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded nonfat mozzarella cheese
    1/4 cup julienned fresh basil
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    - - Salt
    - - Freshly ground black pepper
    6 - dried lasagne noodles, cooked according to package directions {whole wheat noodles on CORE}
    - - Tomato and Roasted-Pepper Sauce (see recipe below)

Preparation
    1 Heat oven to 450 degree F. Place onions in 13x9x2-inch nonstick baking pan and roast 55 to 60 minutes or until tender. Cool. Peel and chop.
    2 Reduce oven temperature to 350 degree F. Cook spinach in skillet with the water clinging to its leaves over medium-high heat until wilted. Drain in colander, pressing to remove excess moisture. Chop coarsely.
    3 Combine roasted onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, and garlic in large nonstick skillet; cook, stirring frequently, over medium-high heat until liquid is evaporated, 15 minutes. Cool. Stir in cottage cheese, mozzarella, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste.
    4 Arrange 2 noodles in 8-inch square glass baking dish. Layer with half the spinach, then half the tomato mixture, another 2 noodles, remaining spinach and tomato mixtures and remaining noodles. Cover and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until hot in center (or microwave on 100 percent power (High) 7 minutes). Serve with Tomato and Roasted-Pepper Sauce. Makes 6 servings.
    5 Tomato and Roasted-Pepper Sauce:: Heat oven to 450 degree F. Place 1 large onion (about 8 to 10 oz.) and 1 head garlic in 8-inch square nonstick baking pan and roast 25 to 35 minutes or until garlic is tender. Remove garlic; roast onion 30 minutes more. Cool. Meanwhile, roast 2 red bell peppers directly on gas or electric burner over medium-high heat, turning until charred all over. Transfer to bowl, cover and steam just until cool enough to handle. Peel, seed, and chop bell peppers. When onion is cool enough to handle, peel and chop. Squeeze 2 garlic cloves from head and chop (reserve remaining garlic for another use). Combine roasted onion; garlic; bell peppers; 2 large tomatoes (1 lb.), seeded and chopped; 1/2 cup vegetable broth; 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil; 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon red pepper sauce in food processor. Process until smooth. Season with salt and black pepper. Makes 2-1/2 cups.

Nutritional Analysis
    Per Serving
    Calories 245
    Total Fat 3 g

Vickie
  • This is from Barbos Diet Kitchen. I haven't tried it yet but it sounded good for nights that you don't have too many ingredients on hand! And, I'm all for Core dishes that don't have tomatoes in them. Nothing against tomatoes, I just get a little tired of them!

Egyptian Rice

1 lb Core-acceptable ground beef
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 cans beef broth
    2-3 Tbs soy sauce
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 jar sliced mushrooms, drained
    1 cup raw brown rice
    salt and pepper to taste
    FF Plain yogurt or sour cream

Brown hamburger & onion. Add remaining ingredients to the mixture. Cover and simmer until rice is done. After plating time, serve with a dollop or yogurt or sour cream. This is a very simple recipe.