CORE Main Dishes

You're on Page 11 of 13
Go to
  • Posted by patchesintexas

A great REcipe for my CORE buddies I have been doing core for a while and many recipes I have tried aren't that great but this one is a winner! I have been unable to find Whole Wheat Lasagna noodles so when I found this recipe I realized that I could still have the taste of Lasagna!

Skillet Lasagna

1 pound 93% lean ground beef
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove minced garlic
    1-1/2 cups diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 1/4 cups water
    1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
    1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
    1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    1 teaspoon salt
    2-1/2 cups whole wheat pasta uncooked (I used penne shape)
    1 cup fat-free cottage cheese or ff ricotta (I used a small carton)
    1/4 cup Fat Free grated parmesan cheese
    Dash basil, pepper, optional
    Shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
    In large skillet, brown beef with onions and garlic; drain. Add tomatoes, water, tomato sauce, parsley, basil, oregano, and salt. Mix well.

Stir in uncooked pasta. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover, simmer for 20 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring once.

Combine cottage and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle in basil and pepper to taste if desired. Drop cheese mixture by rounded tablespoons onto pasta mixture. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella, if desired.

Now I just mixed the cottage cheese up in the dish, but I did sprinkle with KRaft FF Mozzerella and left it on top and cook it a bit while it melted. I also added a little bit of crushed red peppers because I like spicy dishes.
    The DH liked this recipe and I love this recipe I got 6 generous servings out of this (I only used 2 cups pasta) it's just the DH and I! IT Was YUMMY!
  • not core

COCONUT SHRIMP

Elegant yet incredibly simple, these shrimp are sure to be crowd pleasers.

Prep time: 10 min \ Total time: 20 min

1 cup Bakers Angel Flake coconut, toasted
    1 pkt Shake & Bake Extra Crispy Seasoned Coating Mix
    ¼ tsp each: curry powder and ground cayenne
    1 lb fresh or thawed frozen extra large shrimp (16 to 20) cleaned
    1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400*F. Combine coconut, coating mix, curry powder, and cayenne in a shallow bowl.

Dip shrimp in egg, then roll in coconut mixture until evenly coated on all sides.

Bake 10-12 min or until shrimp are cooked through. Serve with chutney or sweet and sour sauce if desired.

Makes 6 servings, about 3 shrimp each.
  • COCONUT SHRIMP

Elegant yet incredibly simple, these shrimp are sure to be crowd pleasers.

Prep time: 10 min \ Total time: 20 min

1 cup Bakers Angel Flake coconut, toasted
    1 pkt Shake & Bake Extra Crispy Seasoned Coating Mix
    ¼ tsp each: curry powder and ground cayenne
    1 lb fresh or thawed frozen extra large shrimp (16 to 20) cleaned
    1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400*F. Combine coconut, coating mix, curry powder, and cayenne in a shallow bowl.

Dip shrimp in egg, then roll in coconut mixture until evenly coated on all sides.

Bake 10-12 min or until shrimp are cooked through. Serve with chutney or sweet and sour sauce if desired.

Makes 6 servings, about 3 shrimp each.
  • Italian Turkey and Spaghetti Squash Pie
    POINTS® value | 3
    Servings | 6
    Preparation Time | 18 min
    Cooking Time | 60 min
    Level of Difficulty | Moderate

Ingredients

1 medium raw spaghetti squash
    1/2 pound lean ground turkey
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 small onion(s), chopped
    1 medium garlic clove(s), minced
    29 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 tsp Italian seasoning, dried
    6 oz fat-free ricotta cheese
    1 large egg(s)
    1 sprays cooking spray, nonstick
    1/2 cup shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Halve squash lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in a large baking dish and prick skin all over with a fork. Bake until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, cook turkey, stirring occasionally, in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain, remove from skillet and set aside.

3. In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and stir-fry until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add cooked turkey and simmer, stirring often, until desired consistency, about 5 minutes.

4. Place ricotta cheese and egg in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.

5. Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Remove squash from oven and increase oven temperature to 375ºF.

6. Using a fork, carefully rake stringy squash pulp from shell, separating it into strands that look like spaghetti. Arrange spaghetti squash strands in bottom and up sides of pie plate to form a crust.

7. Add ricotta cheese mixture and gently spread over squash. Pour tomato-turkey sauce over cheese mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 6 pieces.
  • BALSAMIC MARINATED ROASTED CHICKEN

MARINADE
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic -- chopped

salt & pepper
    12 skinless chicken drumstick
    12 skinless chicken thighs

Prepare marinade, whisking until marinade is creamy.
    Wash chicken & pat dry. Place chicken in a large Ziploc bag - pour in marinade. Seal the bag & turn over a few times to thoroughly coat the chicken. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 400°. Place chicken in a Pam sprayed baking dish or roasting pan.
    Roast for 1 hour and if chicken is browning too much after 30 minutes, cover with foil for the remaining 30 minutes

Remove chicken from roasting pan, place on a warm platter, and cover with foil while making the sauce.
    SAUCE:{optional}
    Pour 1/2 cup FF chicken stock into the roasting pan. Simmer until liquid has reduced by half. Pour over the warm chicken. Garnish with fresh grated lemon peel. Serve with oven roasted potatoes.
  • Vegetable and Rice Pizza

6 cups cooked brown rice
    4 egg whites -- lightly beaten
    2 cups ff mozzarella cheese -- shredded
    1 cup tomato sauce
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    4 cloves garlic -- minced
    2 tablespoons nonfat parmesan cheese -- grated
    1/2 cup sliced mushrooms -- or onions
    3/4 cup chopped broccoli
    1/2 cup red pepper -- chopped
    1/2 cup pineapple chunks in water -- drained

In a bowl, mix rice with 2/3-cup mozzarella cheese and egg whites or substitute.

Spray a 12-inch pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray (nonfat) and press mixture into pan and bake at 400ºF for 5 minutes. Combine sauce with pepper and garlic and spread over the baked rice crust.

Top with remaining ingredients and sprinkle with reserved mozzarella cheese.

Bake an additional 10 minutes

Posted by easystreetster on weightwatchers.com
  • Shrimp Fra Diavolo (4-6 Servings)
    I was dying for something authenticlly italian tasting. I saw this recipe on the food network, and with just some small adjustments, I made it more healthy. You only need to count the points for the wine, which is about 1 point for 1/2 cup of wine. Wonderful and spicy on it's own, but serve over whole wheat spaghetti for something more filling!!

1 pound large shrimp, peeled, deveined
    1 teaspoon salt, plus additional as needed
    1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
    2 Teaspoons olive oil, plus 1 Teaspoon
    1 medium onion, sliced
    1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced fire roasted diced tomatoes
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    3 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
    3 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves

Toss the shrimp in a medium bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt and red pepper flakes. Heat the 2 teaspoons oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and saute for about a minute, toss, and continue cooking until just cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a large plate; set aside. Add the onion to the same skillet, adding 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the pan, if necessary, and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices, wine, garlic, and oregano. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Return the shrimp and any accumulated juices to the tomato mixture; toss to coat, and cook for about a minute so the flavors meld together. Stir in the parsley and basil. Season with more salt, to taste, and serve.
  • This is incredible. You'll love it.

1 lb. lean ground turkey or ground beef ( I use turkey)
    1/2 c. instant brown rice
    1 can tomato soup
    1/4 c. water
    1 large onion - chopped
    2 cloves garlic - minced
    1 bag of shredded cabbage
    1 1/2 teas. cinnamon
    Salt & Pepper

Brown meat with salt & pepper. Stir in onion and garlic and cook just till all warm. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. When you add the cabbage, it will be like "tossing" it to get it all coated with the other ingredients. Cover and bake 1 hour at 400 degrees. Yummy.
  • i got this today off food.net: it's core except for the bread. you could just omit it or add pts.

Tuscan Chicken with White Beans and Wilted Greens
    Copyright, 2006, Robin Miller, All rights reserved
    See this recipe on air Tuesday Feb. 06 at 3:30 PM ET/PT.
    Show: Quick Fix Meals with Robin Miller
    Episode: Light and Easy
    2 cups sliced red onions
    1 cup sliced fennel bulb
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 (15-ounce) can white (cannellini) beans, rinsed and drained
    1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    4 (5-ounce) skinless chicken breast halves (with bone)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    1/2 cup sliced roasted red peppers (from water-packed jar)
    4 cups chopped Swiss chard leaves
    1 crusty loaf of bread
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 clove garlic

Arrange onions, fennel and garlic in bottom of slow cooker. Place beans on top of vegetables. Pour over chicken broth.

Season chicken all over with salt and pepper and place on top of vegetables and beans in the slow cooker. Sprinkle rosemary over chicken. Place roasted red pepper slices on top of chicken. Arrange Swiss chard all around chicken.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.

Slice bread and grill or toast, then drizzle with olive oil. Rub hot bread with garlic clove and serve with meal.
  • Core+ Chicken Strogonoff
    adapted from a recipe by Candlegranny on Dottie's Weight Loss Zone

2 Tablespoons Olive or Canola Oil (this will be 1 teaspoon per serving)
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    16 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
    4 cubes of Trader Joe's garlic (equivalent to 4 cloves fresh)
    16-32 ounces boneless skinless chicken cut into bite size pieces (we like alot of protein!)
    2 cans (6 points) 98% FF Cream of Chicken soup (1 point per serving)
    28 ounces Chicken Broth
    10 ounces whole wheat rotini (any small pasta will do)
    1/2 cup FF sour cream

Add oil, mushrooms, onion, and garlic and brown until soft. Add chicken and continue to brown. I broil my chicken whole until nearly cooked and then cut it up into bite sized pieces. I didn't add my chicken at this point. When chicken is cooked add soup and broth and bring to a boil. Add uncooked pasta. When the sauce returns to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Then I added my cooked chicken and let it simmer with the other ingredients, covered for another 10 minutes. Let sit, covered, with the burner off for 10 minutes. Add 1/2 cup FF sour cream and stir in well. Serves 6.

This recipe could be easily halved if you don't want a lot of leftovers. Don't worry about the excess "gravy" since you'll want it for heating up the leftovers. We almost like it better leftover. I think it almost tastes like chicken and dumplings when it's reheated.
  • I got this recipe from Cooking Light. I halved it and then baked it in individual casseroles so I had 4.

Chipotle-Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

TOPPING:
    1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
    2 1/4 pounds peeled sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 cup Skim milk
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper

FILLING:
    2 pounds ground sirloin
    Cooking spray
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 cup chopped carrot
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
    1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    3 tsps steak sauce (such as A-1)
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 400°.
    To prepare topping, remove 1 chile and 2 teaspoons sauce from can; reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Coarsely chop 1 chile.
    Place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Place potatoes, chopped chile, 2 teaspoons adobo sauce, milk, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
    To prepare filling, cook beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from pan; drain.
    Heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Return beef to pan; stir in peas and remaining ingredients. Cook 2 minutes.
    Spoon beef mixture into a 3-quart casserole; top with sweet potato mixture, spreading evenly.
    Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Yield: 8 servings

CALORIES 408 (29% from fat); FAT 13.2g (sat 5.2g,mono 5.6g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 28.3g; CHOLESTEROL 84mg; CALCIUM 105mg; SODIUM 480mg; FIBER 6.3g; IRON 3.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 43.4g
  • Spicy Noodle dish--(got this from the You make a difference site [ posted by Remy)

1 tbsp canola oil (for some reason this is better then evoo this time)
    3 cloves garlic , crushed
    1 tsp red pepper flakes
    Place in oil and heat till oil starts to bubble a little..then take off heat. Dont burn or your garlic will be bitter.

To this add 1/2 tspground ginger (recipe called for fresh but Im not crazy about fresh)

Add 1 bok choy- chopped into large chunks

Add 1 carton(large ) of low sodium chicken broth
    heat till boiling

Add 4 ounces of whole wheat pasta-
    cook till al dente

Add about 12 large shrimp
    cook till pink

When shrimp are finished add about 4 chopped green onions...
    makes 4 servings....
  • This was modified from a recipe by KCShell that I found on recipezaar.

Mexican Pasta Casserole

1 cup diced onions
    1 Tablespoon canola or olive oil
    6 cloves garlic (I used 6 cubes of Trader Joe's garlic)
    16 ozs lean ground sirloin
    2-14.5 oz diced tomatoes with green chilies and juice
    1-14.5 oz diced tomatoes and juice
    1 package taco seasoning
    1 15 oz can drained pinto beans
    Small can of sliced black olives
    10 oz cooked whole wheat pasta (bowtie, penne, ziti, etc)
    15 oz FF ricotta cheese
    1 cup shredded FF cheddar cheese

Cook whole wheat pasta according to package directions. You could use a smaller package. The brand I use comes in 10 oz size. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Saute onion and garlic in large frying pan until soft; add ground sirloin and brown; stir in tomatoes, drained beans, drained black olives, and taco mix. Heat through until warm. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Put a light layer of juice on the bottom of the 9 x 13 pan. Mix cooked and drained pasta into meat mixture. Put half of the meat/pasta mixture into the pan. Add a layer of FF ricotta over the entire pan spread thinley. Put the remaining mixture on top of the ricotta. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and add shredded cheddar to the entire top of the casserole. Return to oven for 15 minutes but check to be sure that the cheese is melting and not buring. You may have to adjust for your oven.

Makes 8 Servings
  • This is more of an idea...just play with it...

Turkey meatballs

1 pound lean ground turkey
    whatever spices you love...I used oregano, and garlic powder and mrs dash original blend. (now you could probably add an egg and oatmeal for fillers but I dont find it needs it)
    Make into balls

take one can of low sodium beef broth,,and one can of water.. Dump meatballs into this liquid. (No I didnt brown them first)
    Cook for around 30 minutes till done.
    Serve with core mashed potatoes, and green beans...mmmmmmm

(now if you want the points you can thicken the *gravy*with a small amount of cornstarch and water.,,then cook for another 5 mins to thicken)
    These were very tender....
  • Tilapia

This is recipe # 220208 from www.recipezaar.com
    I've left out the parmesan cheese that it called for.

2 servings
    35 minutes, 15 minute prep

1/2 of a 15 ounce can of tomatoes: whole, diced; seasoned or not

1 bag of baby spinach or 1 carton of frozen spinach, defrosted

1 red onion, diced or sliced thinly, as you prefer

2 tilapia fillets

1. preheat oven to 350F
    2. spray or oil 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking dish
    3. place spinach in dish
    4. put tilapa on the spinach
    5. then add tomatoes and onions
    6. cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and cook until fish flakes.

I added 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic and poured it over the whole dish before cooking.

I found that 350F was too low for final cooking and I increased the temperature to 450 F for about 10 minutes.

This was very tasty.