Old 08-23-2004, 03:08 PM   #1  

Default Low Carb Deep-fried Onion Rings

yum, yum, yum, yum, yum!

Serves 12

3 to 6 cups vegetable oil (more or less depending on pot size or amount of onion rings you are making)
3 eggs
1/4 c. heavy cream
3 large vidalia onions ( yellow onions can be used also)

Breading:
2 1/3 c. soy flour
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp poultry seasoning

Place a heavy pot over medium high heat with at least 1" vegetable oil. Heat oil to 350 degrees. It is important to monitor and maintain the temperature, or the soy flour breading and your oil will burn.

In a medium bowl, mix the eggs and cream to make an egg wash. In a separate larger bowl, mix the breading ingredients together.

Peel and slice the onions in thick slices (see notes below) and carefully separate rings. Then dip individual onion rings in the breading, then the egg wash and then back in the breading again, making sure to coat well. Pat off any excess breading and carefully place into hot oil, in batches if necessary, and fry until golden brown and crisp, just 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towel. Serve immediately.

Calories: 278
Fat: 25 grams
Sat: 5 grams
Fiber: 3
Carbs: 9
Net Carbs: 6

Ok, couple of notes: I made these last night and was in love! However, they didn't get really crispy. Crispy enough but not really crunchy. Could have been the temp of my oil. Also wonder if it was the soy flour.
I also cut my onion rings thick as recipe instructed but the ones that were thin were better and crispier. So I recommend cutting them thin. Soy flour is already cooked so they brown faster than plain flour when frying. Just don't let them burn.

Enjoy!
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 03:56 PM   #2  
Look at me go ;)

MMMMMM sounds great! Thanks!
Cinnymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:00 PM   #3  
dbh

These do sound great; after induction, I'm gonna try this. I have some 4C Brand low carb bread crumbs (4 net carbs) per 1/3 cup.
dbh is offline   Reply With Quote