Funeral Fauxtatoes

• In some cultures, decadant food is essential to a proper funeral. Here's my reduced carb version of my favorite funeral food.

Preheat the over to 350

2 pounds of chopped cauliflower (should resemble hash browns)
    1 cup of diced onion

Mix the two together and put in a 13X9" pan.

In a bowl mix together:
    1/2 - 1 cup of melted butter (your call here, I always go with the full cup )
    1 can of cream of chicken soup (read labels and get the lowest carb one you can find)
    8 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar
    16 ounces of sour cream (again read your labels here!)

Dump your bowl mixture over the pan mixture and fold it all together. Then top it all with 2 cups of crushed Total Protein (the cereal), a smattering of cheese, and throw it in the over for 30-45 minutes.

Let it stand for 10 minutes before serving up.

Makes 15 servings. 5-7 carbs per serving (depends on what you use)
  • Ooh! I love this! We always just called it hashbrown casserole. How do you chop your cauliflower? I definitely must make this!
  • I just grabbed a butcher knife and chopped it up into little chunks about 1/4" or slightly bigger.

I forgot to mention: the original recipe I had used frosted flakes for the topping. Total Protein is really pretty sweet and makes a good substitute for them. If you want less sweet, try the low carb Special K (but note that it's a little higher in carbs).
  • Sounds great!
  • on this recipe- do you use raw cauliflower and then bake in oven? can u use frozen cauliflower? sue
  • This recipe looks totally to die for.. HENCE why they probably call it funeral fauxtatoes..LOL
  • IMO, raw works best.
  • I made this using turnips, they come pretty close to the same in carb counts. I used cream of mushroom...Campbell's. But am loking for a good homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup recipe. Very, very good. Took this to work to try on my guinea pigs (coworkers) They couldn't tell the difference, except that they already know that I don't do potatoes. If anyone has a good condensed soup recipe, please Share...Thanx!
  • Yay! Thanks for the recipe! I must try it
  • Just tried this....this was wonderful. Very creamy, cheesy. I could not find the Total Protein, so I used Special K. My fiancee didn't know the difference! Thanks for sharing!