Easy Caramelized Onions -- Crockpot -- 1/2 pt & Lime-Drenched Chicken With Onions --

• These 2 recipes were in today's Food section of our newspaper from a syndicated column entitled "Desperation Dinners". I have and love the book by the same name. I plan to keep a batch of these crockpot caramelized onions in the freezer at all times (in 1/4 to 1/2 cup portions). I'd freeze portions in cheapy sandwich bags and freeze flat. Place all the little bags in a freezer weight large (gallon sized) bag for better keeping quality. For those of you on WWs, I use a 1/4 cup bag of caramelized onions and/or mushrooms to extend my evening meal frequently. A serving would count as about 1/2 a WW point (all due to the fat). Enjoy!

Jane
    * Exported from MasterCook *

Easy Caramelized Onions -- Crockpot -- 1/2 pt

Recipe By :Beverly Mills with Alicia Ross
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    6 large onions -- I'd use Vidalia, if available
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Peel onions and cut them into 1/4 inch slices; you should have about 6 cups. Place them in a slow cooker, and drizzle the oil over the slices.

place the lid on the cooker, and adjust the heat to high. Cook 8 - 10 hours, until the onions caramelize. They will have a deep brown color.

Leftover onions may be refrigerated, covered, up to 3 days. They may be frozen up to 1 month.

Per article: Yield = 3 cups, Per 1/4 cup serving:
    48 cals., 2 g. fat, 1 g. fiber
    Since the only thing in this recipe that has WW points is the oil, I'd count each serving as 1/2 point. (also counts as 1/2 fat serving for those who keep track).

Description:
    "Secret stash to keep on hand for speedy, last minute dinners"
    Source:
    ""Desperation Dinners" column in The Hartford Courant 10/04/00"
    Copyright:
    "United Feature Syndicate"
    Yield:
    "3 cups"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 48 Calories (kcal); 2g Total Fat; (42% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 2mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lime-Drenched Chicken With Onions -- 6 pts

Recipe By :Beverly Mills with Alicia Ross
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    24 ounces skinless & boneless chicken breast halves -- 4 6-oz pieces
    salt and black pepper -- to taste
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 lime
    1 cup Easy Caramelized Onions -- Crockpot -- 1/2
    pt
    2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic

Place the chicken breast halves, 1 at a time, between layers of wax paper. Pound until each half is an even 1/2 inch thick. (Use a mallet, rolling pin or anything heavy for pounding.) Peel off the paper. Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt and pepper, as desired.

Heat the oil in an extra-deep 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken, and cook 4 to 5 minutes on the first side until golden brown.

While the chicken cooks, cut the lime in half, and cut 1 of the halves into 4 wedges. Set aside.

Turn the chicken over, and squeeze the juice from the remaining lime half evenly over the chicken. Continue to cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center.

Put the chicken on 4 serving plates.

Add the onions and garlic to the hot skillet, and stir constantly until the onions are heated through, about 1 minute.

Remove skillet from the heat, and top each piece of chicken with about 1/4 cup of onions. Serve at once, garnished with the reserved lime wedges.

Per article:
    256 cals., 9 g. fat (31%CFF), 1 g. fiber = 6 pts

Description:
    "A quick chicken dish with a Cuban accent. Uses stash of caramelized
    crockpot onions."
    Source:
    ""Desperation Dinners" column in The Hartford Courant 10/04/00"
    Copyright:
    "United Feature Syndicate"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 264 Calories (kcal); 7g Total Fat; (23% calories from fat); 40g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 99mg Cholesterol; 114mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : These authors wrote a wonderful cookbook called "Desperation Dinners". All the recipes are moderate in fat and calories yet can be prepared in 20 minutes or less. This is one of my favorite cookbooks. --JaneStarr
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0