3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Side Dishes - Phase 2 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/side-dishes-phase-2-136/)
-   -   Zucchini Patties (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/side-dishes-phase-2/43604-zucchini-patties.html)

beachgal 07-16-2004 08:29 AM

Zucchini Patties

From the July 16, 2004 Daily Dish:
The potential health benefits of summer squash are numerous. They are rich sources of magnesium, vitamin C, beta-carotene, vitamin A, fiber, potassium, vitamin B6, niacin, folate, copper, and riboflavin. In the market, you'll find a variety of summer squash, including zucchini, sunburst, crookneck, pattypan, and yellow squash. When purchasing, select squash that are firm and heavy for their size, with bright and glossy skin. Avoid those with nicks, bruises, or soft spots.

Zucchini Patties
These cheesy zucchini patties are an excellent way to use up that abundance of zucchini from the garden. Serve with a bit of tomato sauce or sour cream dabbed on top.

Prep Time: approx. 10 Minutes.
Cook Time: approx. 20 Minutes.
Ready in: approx. 30 Minutes.
Makes 12 patties (4 servings).
Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Sherlie A. Magaret
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 cups grated zucchini
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (For SBD, use WW flour)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (For SBD, use part-skim mozzerella)
salt to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (For SBD, use Canola or other good oils)

Directions
1. In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, onion, flour, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt. Stir well enough to distribute ingredients evenly.

2. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop zucchini mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden.

smilintwins 07-29-2004 11:29 AM

Laurie - do you peel the zucchini before grating or use skins on??

beachgal 08-20-2004 05:24 PM

I'm sorry I missed this, Jen! I think we all decided with skins on...much more healthy! However, I would not be above peeling them to fool my kids into eating them...if you don't tell them, they'll never know that they are eating zucchini! :lol:

BTW, I have made these a couple times now. Last time, I spread the mix very thin in the pan, and pressed hard with the spatula to get the middle cooked. The first time, the middles were still soft, and I was afraid of getting sick from uncooked eggs. This time, they were crispy and very good with no soft middles. :D

twoboysmom 08-24-2004 09:05 PM

ww flour

do you think that i can use oatmeal instead of ww flour?

beachgal 08-29-2004 03:15 PM

You could use oatmeal, but I think it would be very crunchy and the oatmeal would be uncooked, so I wouldn't do it.

Do you have trouble getting WW flour in your area? It's worth searching for! :D

beachgal 08-11-2008 12:30 PM

bump...these are so yummy and a great way to get rid of those piles of zucchini from the garden (or the neighbor...). They freeze well, too! I just pop a couple frozen ones in the toaster oven for a toast cycle and they're ready!