BBQ Baked Beans

• Help! I'd really like to find a SB friendly Baked Bean recipe for the 4th. I normally pile the brown sugar and BBQ sauce into mine so that's definitely a no go. I need a friendly recipe to take the edge off of my not getting potato salad

Any suggestions?
  • Klibriarian, I found this under a Closed Thread in Ph2,entrees... maybe you can use this? It is a post from Ruth:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    From Sflake's great big file! My notes in italics.

Arizona Chuck Wagon Beans
    1 Pound navy beans – Dried Or Pinto
    6 Cups Water
    1/4 Pound pork loins, lean, boneless -- diced
    I think they mean salt pork as that's what they talk about below. I would substitute Canadian bacon
    1 Large Onion -- chopped
    1 garlic clove -- minced
    1 Large Green pepper -- chopped
    1 1/2 Pounds Round Steak -- cubed
    1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
    1/2 Teaspoon Oregano -- crumbled
    1/4 Teaspoon Red pepper
    1/4 Teaspoon Ground cumin
    8 Ounces Tomato sauce

Pick over beans and rinse well. (See notes) Combine beans and water in a large kettle. Bring to boiling; cover; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour .Then pour into slow cooker. Brown salt pork in a large skillet; remove with a slotted spoon to cooker; sauté onion, garlic and green pepper in pan drippings; remove with slotted spoon to cooker. Brown beef, a few pieces at a time in pan drippings; remove to cooker with slotted spoon; stir in salt, oregano, red pepper, cumin and tomato sauce. Add more water, if necessary to bring liquid level above beans. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours, or until beans are tender.

Calories 391.7 fat 11.9 fiber 14.8

Notes:
    Carb count high but good carbs!
    You can eliminate the boil and stand instructions by soaking the beans in cold water overnight and draining them in the morning.
    As Canadian bacon is not fat, you will need to saute in some olive or canola oil as there will not be pan drippings. Actually, I'd not brown the Canadian bacon. Just dice it and pitch it in.
  • I did a quick look at the Phase 1 foods, and I think since Ruth originally posted this back in 2003, the phase1 foods underwent some changes that made whatever it was "illegal" now PHASE 1 friendly.............

so this might be a good replacement for real baked beans!
  • Thank you so much for your help! I feel like I need a second pair of eyes sometimes because I'm still not 100% clear on everything. I'm learning, though.

I am very excited to try this recipe for my 4th of July BBQ
  • No Problem Sweetie! ( I am sitting here chucklin'... "SBD" Beans...think about it )