3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Side Dishes - Phase 1 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/side-dishes-phase-1-130/)
-   -   Braised Kale with Black Beans and Tomatoes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/side-dishes-phase-1/51436-braised-kale-black-beans-tomatoes.html)

Barb0522 01-07-2005 09:41 AM

Braised Kale with Black Beans and Tomatoes

Despite its list of ingredients, this Portuguese dish is simple to make because everything goes straight into the pot and simmers into a rustic blend of nicely-balanced flavors.

Ingredients:
1 bunch kale (about 8-10 leaves)*
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
5 large or 6 medium plum tomatoes, seeded
and diced (2 cups)
2 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
1 can (15 1/2 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium
chicken or vegetable broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions:
1. Using a sharp paring knife, slice off the hard, central vein of each kale leaf. Stacking 3 to 4 leaves at a time, cut them crosswise into half-inch strips. Rinse in a colander or sieve and shake well, leaving some moisture clinging to leaves.

2. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add kale and mix until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and garlic. Cook, stirring, until tomatoes soften slightly, about 3 minutes. Add beans and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until kale is tender, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve as a side dish or over brown rice for a main course (if on phase 2).

*Lacinata, also called "dino (dinosaur) kale" or cavolo nero, is the best choice, but any kale, including curly green and red Russian, can be used. Makes 4 servings as a side dish or 2 as a main course.

Nutritional Information:
Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 177 calories, 4 g. total fat (less than 1 g. saturated fat), 28 g. carbohydrate, 10 g. protein, 8 g. dietary fiber, 591 mg. sodium.

I haven't tried this but it looks good.

Barb0522 01-27-2006 01:11 PM

I've had this several times recently and it is good and easy. I use one can of diced tomatoes instead of the fresh tomatoes. I normally don't drain them as I like this a little juicy. I use minced jarred garlic to make it easier.

To get some extra veggies, I added one bag of spinach at the end after everything was cooked and just cooked it enough to wilt. It tasted so very good. I like the mixture of kale and spinach with the tomatoes and beans. I would also think that Rotel (tomatoes with chilis) could be used instead of plain tomatoes. I sometimes add some Italian seasoning too.

I served this with turkey tenderloin (and rice for DH). I just had it leftover for lunch and it was wonderful!

pearshape 02-06-2006 07:53 AM

This was really good. Very comforting and hardy. I served it over brown rice and added some soy sausage to it. Very yummy! This is definitely a do again recipe. Thanks, Barb.

Ruthxxx 02-06-2006 08:07 AM

I'm going to "sticky" this one.

I made it last week with canned tomatoes and it was excellent. I even love it cold! It freezes really well. I even drained it a bit and made a pita pizza with feta cheese on top! I am going to have it again tonight with some leftover chicken added and perhaps some ff mozzarella on top.

Schatzi 04-06-2006 12:08 PM

I made this over the weekend 4 chef dude rating!

:chef: :chef: :chef: :chef:

I took Barb's suggestion and used Rotel tomatoes And Ruth's Feta cheese thought as a crumble topping!

Most Hearty !!!!!!

Thin4Good 01-04-2009 08:51 PM

I made this tonight. I used frozen kale and canned whole tomatoes, which I diced. I was surprised- DH actually went back for more and DS cleaned his plate! I will definitely be making it again!