Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 05:05 PM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

This is the SUGAR BUSTERS MARCH 2001 RECIPE BOARD.

When posting a recipe, please make sure all ingredients are SB legal. If there are any ingredients that are NOT SB legal, please post a note with an alternate ingredient that may be substituted in it's place.

If you would like to view any of the old recipe boards, please click on any one of the links below, and they will take you directly to that particular board:

FEBRUARY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2375

JANUARY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...9743#post19743

DECEMBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...9741#post19741

NOVEMBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/newr...&threadid=2356

OCTOBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2355

SEPTEMBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2354

AUGUST RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2353

JULY RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2352

MAY/JUNE RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2351

Last edited by Debelli; 03-19-2001 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2001, 07:10 AM   #2  

SALMON CAKES

2 large sweet potatoes
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup fresh coriander
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp each grated lemon rind, pepper and hot pepper sauce
1 egg, beaten
2 cans (each 7.5 oz) salmon, drained and flaked
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 lemon wedges

Peel and cut sweet potatoes. Cook in boiling water until tender. Drain.

In large bowl, mash sweet potatoes until smooth; stir in onions, mustard, coriander, salt, lemon rind, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Blend in egg. Fold in salmon. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using hands shape into eight 3/4 inch thick patties.

In large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat; cook 4 of the patties for about 5 minutes per side or until golden. Repeat with remaining patties. Serve with lemon wedges.

Tip: Mash canned salmon bones into the fish for a calcium boost of more than 30 percent.

Note: When I made these I used fresh (frozen) salmon. I used about 7-8 oz of salmon and cooked it in the microwave for about 7 minutes and continued as above.

Adapted from a recipe in Canadian Living magazine.
Old 03-10-2001, 05:45 PM   #3  

Default LENTIL CHILI

I MADE THIS DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN CHILI & IT IS VERY GOOD, EASY & LOW COST, LOW FAT TOO

LENTIL CHILI

2 Tbsb vegetable or olive oil
2 cups coarsely chopped onions
1 red bell pepper, coursely chopped (green works just as well)
3 lg cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
1-1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 can (280z) Italian plum tomatoes in puree (I used 1can stewed & 1 can rotel)
1 cup brown lentils, rinsed
1 small zucchini, diced (1 cup)
1 can black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup bulgur wheat
add water according to thickness perfered
Accompaniments: chopped red pepper & red onion, shredded Cheddar cheese & lettuce

1. Heat oil in a heavy 3-qt saucepan over medium heat. Add onions & bell pepper & saute` 10 minutes or just until beginning to brown. Stir in garlic & saute` 1 min. Stir in chili powder, oregano & cumin; saute` 1 min longer.

2. Add tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon, and simmer 20 minutes.

3.Meanwhile in a 2 qt saucepan, gently boil lentils in 3 cups lightly salted water over medium-low heat 12 minutes. Stir in zucchini and cook 8 min longer or until lentils are tender.

4. Stir lentil mixture, black beans and bulgur into tomatoe mixture. Simmer, covered, 10 mininutes or until bulgur is soft. I found that I needed to add water. Serve with accompaniments.

Serves 4.
*Per serving: 465 cal, 24 gm protein, 77 gm carb, 17 gm fiber, 10 gm fat (1gm saturated fat), 0 gm chol, 575 mg sod. Found in Woman's Day 9/1/00

Freezes well too... Enjoy!!
Old 03-10-2001, 08:40 PM   #4  

CROCKPOT HAM AND LENTIL SOUP

2 cups dried lentils
1/2 pound ham - diced
1 onion - chopped
1 - 3 bay leaves
2 ribs celery - chopped
1 clove garlic - minced (I use about 3 cloves)
salt and peper to taste

Combine all incredients with 2 quarts water in a crockpot. Cook on low, covered 8 - 10 hours. Adjust seasonings and serve.

This soup is even better the next day.

Susan
Old 03-15-2001, 10:32 AM   #5  

Baked Rice with Cheese and Green Chilies

Serves 6 or more

* 1 tlbs canola oil
* 1 med. onion, chopped
* 4 cups cooked brown rice (about 1 1/2 cups raw)
* 8 oz. reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese
* 1 cup non-fat ricotta cheese
* 1 to 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, or 1 to 2 4-oz cans chopped mild green chilies
* 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the onion and saute over low heat until lightly browned.

In mixing bowl, combine the onion with the rice and all the remaining ingredients. Stir together thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled, 1 1/2 quart baking casserole. Bake for 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.

Haven't made this yet, but it sounded really good.

Cheri
Old 03-15-2001, 01:11 PM   #6  

Zucchini crust pizza

3 cups shredded zucchini
3/4 cup egg subsitute
1/3 flour -calls for white but use wheat of course!
1/2 tea salt
2 cups (8oz) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
2 small tomatoes halved and thinly sliced
1/2 cup onion
1/2 cup julienned green pepper
1 tea dried oregano
1/2 tea dried basi
3 tab shredded parmesan cheese

In a bowl, combine zucchini and egg subsitute: Mix well. Add flour and salt: stir well. Spread onto the bottom of a 12 in pizz pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 450 for 8 minutes. Reduce heat to 350. Sprinkle with mozzarella, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, oregano, basil and parmesan cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or untill onion is tender and cheese is melted-yield: 6 slices
One slice 190 calories 8g fat 2 g fiber 13g carbohydrate

I have not tryed this yet looks yummy in the picture!!!
Old 03-17-2001, 01:00 PM   #7  

Default Low glycemic recipes

This site has some great recipes.
www.nbizz.com/naturalhealthdoc/index.html

Also for all you George Foreman grill owners. www.georgeit.com
Old 03-19-2001, 07:43 PM   #8  

Got this off a lo-carb site:

Olive Garden Artichoke-Spinach Dip

1 cup chopped artichoke hearts (canned or frozen and thawed) drain the canned ones
1/2 cup frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
Dash of black pepper

Boil the spinach and artichoke hearts in a cup of water in a small saucepan over med. heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander. Heat the cream cheese in a small bowl in the microwave set on high for 1 minute. Or, use a saucepan to heat the cheese over med. heat just until hot. Add the spinach and artichoke hearts to the cream cheese and stir well. Add remaining ingredients to the cream cheese mixture and combine. Serve hot with crackers, chips etc. Serves 4 as an appetizer.
Old 03-19-2001, 09:26 PM   #9  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default FRESH VEGGIE BEEF SOUP

1 large beef shank ( i always get one with a lot of meat)
1 1/2 lbs of beef stew meat
1 large can crushed tomatoes
4 cans beef broth
2 zucchini
1 large onion
1 head cabbage
6 medium turnips (optional)
two heaping teaspoons crushed garlic
1/2 lbs fresh pea pods
lots of fresh kale (optional)
2-3 yellow squash

I cook my meat in the pressure cooker. Cover with three cans of the broth. Add garlic and salt to taste. Pressure for 45 minutes after steam builds up.

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until veggies are done.

YUMMMMMMMMMM
Old 03-20-2001, 01:35 PM   #10  

Default CROCKPOT CABBAGE ROLLS

Ingredients:

12 Large cabbage leaves
1 lb Lean ground beef
1 Beaten egg
1 c Cooked rice
1/4 c Milk
8 oz Tomato sauce
1/4 c Finely chopped onions
1 ts Brown sugar
1 ts Salt
1 ts Worcestershire sauce
1/4 ts Pepper
1 tb Lemon juice

Method:

Immerse cabbage leaves in large kettle of boiling water for about 3 minutes or until limp; drain. Combine egg, milk, onion, salt, pepper, beef, and cooked rice. Place about 1/4 cup meat mixture in the center of each leaf; fold in sides and roll ends over the meat. Place in a crock-pot. Combine tomato sauce with brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours.

I made this using Savoy cabbage - much easier to prepare than the regular cabbage as the leaves come off easy and I just rinse them and put them in the microwave for a couple of minutes to soften.

I added some seasoning as there was none listed in the recipe. I used 1 teaspoon of cumin powder. I would also suggest adding a little more tomato juice, depending on how much gravy you like.

Recipe taken from CHERYL'S KITCHEN
www.linkline.com/personal/gingen
Old 03-21-2001, 10:58 AM   #11  
Goddess

Default Pasta a la vodka

Here is the recipe from the Martha Stewart web site. The vodka is optional. Hodson Mills dossn't have a penne availabe in this area so I use the spirals. They hold the sauce really well. The really nice thing about this dish is that it is quick. You can make the sauce in the time it takes to cook the pasta.

Susan

PENNE ALLA VODKA
Serves 4 to 6

Coarse salt
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound dried penne pasta
1 medium onion, halved
4 cups tomato purée
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for garnish
1/4 cup vodka
4 leaves basil, coarsely chopped

1. Cover a large pot of salted water, and bring to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the pasta, stirring to keep the pasta from sticking together. Cook until al dente.

2. Meanwhile, heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion halves, cut side down. Season with salt. Cook 2 minutes. Add tomato purée, half-and-half, and cheese; stir to combine. Pour in vodka. Add basil, and cook until heated through.

3. Drain pasta. Remove onion from sauce, and discard. Add pasta to skillet, and toss until pasta is well coated with sauce. Garnish with cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.
Old 03-22-2001, 08:31 AM   #12  

Default Chili Con Carne

This works out great in a crockpot...do it all in the AM, then forget about it until dinner time!!

2 lbs. ground chuck (I actually use extra-lean ground beef, or even ground turkey can work)
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. leaf basil
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 bay leaf
3 tbsp. chili powder
2-1 lb. cans tomatoes
1/2 c water
2 tbsp. red wine (I always end up adding more)
2-1 lb. cans red beans, drained (look for ones w/out
sugar added!)

Cook ground beef until browned; drain. Place beef, onion, garlic and green pepper in crockpot. Add remaining ingredients, set to 275*-300*. Cover and cook 8-10 hours.
Old 03-22-2001, 01:28 PM   #13  

Default YUMMY SOUNDING RECIPES!

From my new book, HEARTY FAMILY FAVORITES

CRISPY OVEN -FRIED CHICKEN

Makes 4 servings

2 cloves garlic, peeled
4 slices WW bread, torn into pieces
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tsp crumbled sage or thyme
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup milk
2 1/2 pounds chicken parts

Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with foil.

Make the breading: Place the peeled garlic cloves in a food processor or blender. Process until finely chopped. Add the bread, Parmesan, salt & pepper and process, pulsing the machine on and off until the bread if finely crumbled.

Add the sage to the mixture and process to distribute evenly.

Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the breadcrumbs. Process the mixture until the butter is completely incorporated, then transfer the breading to a plastic or paper bag.

Place the milk in a shallow bowl. Dip the chicken pieces in the milk, then place them, a few at a time, in the bag of breading, and shake the bag until the chicken is well coated.

Place the chicken pieces on the foil-lined baking sheet, leaving space between them. Bake the chicken until the coating is crisp and the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife, 45-55 minutes.

Don't remember where this one came from:

Cocoa Angel Food Cake

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups egg whites (about 12 egg whites)
3/4 cup sifted whole-wheat pastry flour or sifted
unbleached flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup honey (use AGAVE NECTAR)
Fresh fruit (such as strawberries, raspberries,
blueberries or peaches) OPTIONAL

Place the egg whites in a 5- or 6-quart bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, sift the flour and cocoa powder together 4 times; set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites on high speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and vanilla. Then beat on medium speed until the egg whites form soft peaks. Add the honey, 1 tablespoon at a time, and continue beating on medium speed until the egg whites form stiff peaks but are not dry.

Sift 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg whites and fold in using a wire whisk or large spatula. Repeat sifting and folding in the flour 3 more times.

Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10" tube pan with a removable bottom. Use a thin knife to cut through the batter to remove any large air pockets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert the pan onto a wire rack and let cool for at least 1 1/2 hours. Then remove the cake from the pan. Slice and serve with the fresh fruit.

Chef's note: To differently flavor this cocoa cake, use 1 teaspoon of a flavor extract (such as almond, cherry, peppermint or orange) instead of the vanilla.

MY NOTES When using agave turn oven setting down by 25 degrees, and watch for doneness starting after 25 minutes. Haven't made this one yet, but it looks prettty darned good!
Old 03-22-2001, 03:44 PM   #14  

Default CROCKPOT SWEET AND SOUR CHICKEN

Ingredients: (see below for changes to make it SB compatible)
1 Carrot cut in pieces
1 Green pepper cut in pieces
1 Med Onion quartered
4 Boneless chicken breasts
3 tb Instant tapioca (heaping)
8 oz Pineapple chunks canned,
2 tb Candied ginger or fresh,
1/3 c Dark brown sugar packed
1/3 c Red wine vinegar
1 tb Soy sauce
1 ts Instant Chicken bouillon
1/2 ts Garlic powder
Rice; hot, cooked

Method:
Remove all skin and any fat from chicken before cooking. DO NOT DRAIN the pineapple, include the juice in the crockpot. Mince the ginger if using fresh ginger. For crockpot cooking Put vegetables in bottom of crockpot. Sprinkle tapioca over vegetables. Place chicken on top of vegetables. Combine all other ingreds. except rice in a small bowl. Pour over chicken. Cover crockpot and turn to low and cook for 8-10 hours. Serve over hot cooked rice

Recipe copied from CHERYL'S KITCHEN

Suggested changes to make it SB compatible:
1. Use BARLEY instead of the tapioca.
2. If you don't want to use pineapple try PINEAPPLE JUICE, which has a lower gi.
3. Brown sugar can be substitued with Agave Nectar or other sweetener.
4. One carrot would be about 1/2 cup which contains 6 grams of carbohydrate. I don't think this should be a problem if it is distributed among 4 servings. Can be omitted and other legal vegetable substituted.

This tasted delicious on the first day but even better when I had the leftovers for lunch the next day.
Old 03-22-2001, 03:58 PM   #15  

Default Sweet-and-Spicy Garbanzo Stew

Ingredients:

1 cup Garbanzo beans
7 cups Water
1 Onion -- coarsely chopped
2 Yams or sweet potatoes -- chunked
1 Celery stalk -- sliced
1 Leek -- sliced
2 cups Broccoli pieces
1 tablespoon Lemon juice
1 tablespoon Soy sauce
1 teaspoon Ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon Ground cumin
2 teaspoons Pure prepared horseradish
1/8 teaspoon Hot pepper sauce
Dash Cayenne pepper (opt)

Method: Place beans and water in a large pot. Soak overnight. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and cook until tender, about 2 to 3 hours. Add onion, yams, carrot, celery, and leek. Cook for 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Cook an additional 30 minutes.

Serving Suggestions: Pour into individual bowls or over any whole grain.

Helpful Hint: This dish can easily be made in a slow cooker. Add all ingredients at once and cook on the high heat setting for 8 to 10 hours. Be sure to soak the beans overnight before you begin.

I'm having this for supper to-night. Will let you know how it turns out. It certainly smells good - I have it in the crockpot.
Closed Thread