I need help

• Hi Ladies.

I've been a member of the 3fc forum for a long, long time now. I've also been a member of this group but I haven't posted in a while (mostly because I am now 29 and only have one year left with you girls!!!). Ok, that's a lie. It's mostly because I am fat and ashamed.

Brief background: started dieting in 2003. Lost 60 pounds in 1.5 years with calorie counting and exercise. Haven't lost anything since and gained back about 20.

I've been on South Beach (lost 15, gained it all back on Phase 2), Weight Watchers (lost maybe 5 pounds) and Fat Smash (lost 10, gained it back and then some). I can't seem to get myself on track.

I watched the Biggest Loser last night and it motivated me enough to really start thinking about this again.

I am currently back up to 213. I want to hit 189 so badly. Obviously, calorie counting and exercise worked for me way back when. But now, now I am married and my wife doesn't need to lose weight. She's a binge eater but doesn't gain from it. I too am a binge eater but I gain the weight and then some.

I can't stay motivated and while I am now at the point of literal misery, I can't shake it off. Something Bob said last night during The Biggest Loser was not to wait until January 1. And he's right.

So the slow plan right now is to go home tonight and sit down with my wife. We're going to toss all the crap in the house. Empty the fridge. We are working with a $100/wk grocery budget for 2 people for 3 meals a day. We have to figure out a plan. And, no matter how much going off the plan she does, I need to find some willpower.

And keep it to get myself to the gym.

I don't know what kind of help I am asking for. I mean, I am so sick and tired of being fat. Of feeling unhealthy. I guess menu or exercise tips would be helpful. We have a gym in the apartment complex with a few weight machines, an elliptical and treadmill. I need to get back on track but I don't know what track that is...
  • Those gimmicky diets where you have to give up most foods and eat very restrictively at first (like fat smashers or South Beach) never worked for me as I am starving and feeling sick immediately and wouldn't be able to keep it up. Good old fashioned eating nutritious meals and calorie counting, with exercise, works better for me (kind of like South Beach but after those first phases). I bet if you made one small change like exercising a bit or cutting out something high in calories that you eat regularly then you will at least maintain instead of gaining every year. Best of luck to you, you don't have much to go so I know you can do it!
  • thanks Mami. I know I can do it. It's just getting there, you know?
  • Hi!

Like you, this isn't my first try (my third, actually) at weight loss.. but this time Im determined to stick with it. And one thing I know for sure is that if I can do it, anyone can!

Good idea, to sit down with your wife and figure out a grocery plan. After all, you both need to eat, and eating healthy won't hurt either of you! My advice would be to find some healthy recipes that you can make and have leftovers the next night for dinner, or lunch. It'll help lessen the grocery bills.

You can do it!

~Fae
  • Quote:
    Something Bob said last night during The Biggest Loser was not to wait until January 1. And he's right.
    This hit me too. I was always waiting for some special whatever to start dieting. I had to start on a Monday. In the Morning. Towards the beginning of the month. Even better if it was the first. I had to break free of that mentality and it sounds like you have.

I do South Beach, and it works for me. The transition from Phase 1 to Phase 2 is really, REALLY hard, so don't feel bad about messing up your first try. It took a couple for me to successfully make the switch.

But it sounds like since calorie counting worked for you before, maybe that's what you should try again. You're already making a good step in emptying the crapola out of the house; you don't need it, your wife doesn't need it, so why have it?

You're so lucky to have exercise equipment right there! Use it! Exercise really is as close to a magic pill as there ever will be. I like walking on the treadmill and I go by distance rather than time. For me, going by distance works because I hate spending huge amounts of time exercising. So I'm motivated to go faster and work harder so it's over sooner!! Start with just doing a half mile of walking and build your way up.

Good luck, and remember we're all rooting for ya!
  • Thanks Fae!

Lisa- I tried South Beach for 3 months, trying that transition successfully. Then again 2 months later. I couldn't even get on board with phase 1 really. But I am glad it works for you!!!

I too am one of those "on the 1st" people. But, I start tomorrow, once I have some good food planned out. I need to plan, plan, plan and drink water!!! THAT I am starting today!