i'm sick...can i still WO?

• hey everyone. I've gotten a pretty bad cold - not too bad, but bad enough. I was just wondering what everyone does as far as working out goes when you have a cold? Do you still workout, do a light workout, etc? Today I'm supposed to do Jari Love's Ripped to the Core (an hour long very hard weight training session) today, but I'm definitely NOT doing that today. Would it be ok to do a low-impact workout? Like the one on the Biggest Loser DVD?

Let me know what you guys think. I know I should rest, but I can't stand just sitting here and letting the days go by without working out!!
  • I think it would probably be better if you didn't workout, since you're sapped of energy already. If you REALLY want to workout, though, a nice slow walk or a different short, low impact workout would probably be best.
  • I use the above/below the neck rule.

If my symptoms are only at the neck and above (stuffy nose, headache, sore throat, earache, etc) I work out. If my symptoms involve things below the neck (chest cough, fever, body aches, etc), I don't. This is what my doc told me to do, and I've followed it ever since.
  • Quote: I use the above/below the neck rule.

If my symptoms are only at the neck and above (stuffy nose, headache, sore throat, earache, etc) I work out. If my symptoms involve things below the neck (chest cough, fever, body aches, etc), I don't. This is what my doc told me to do, and I've followed it ever since.
    This is the measuring stick I use as well.

Right now I have a head cold and take cough syrup before my warmup in order to dry up the post nasal drip.

I can't workout as heavily as I would like, but I'm still able to get an easy run in. Just listen to your body and take it a bit easy until you feel well enough to up the intensity.
  • Gently ... within your breathing capabilities and rest if you are tired. Your body will tell you.
  • If you really want to exercise, you can just walk around the neighborhood. Just make sure that you listen to what your body is telling you.
  • I would take it a bit easier than you normally would. What the other lady said too about the above/below thing is also a good rule of thumb I think.
  • If you work out a gym, please don't. Other people might catch what you have. Gyms are a haven for viruses and bacteria as it is.
  • thanks girls. turns out i didn't work out. i was just way too beat. and it's a good thing, because this cold is turning out to be worse than i thought it would be. my voice is almost gone! and my throat is really killing me. i was up at 5 this morning coughing cuz i had a stupid tickle in my throat i couldn't get rid of!! of course this happens when i want to re-start everything and get a jump-start on my goals.

i'll be taking it easy probably until next week. thanks again for your advice!