Christmas Shopping Help

• My Aunt has lost 29 lbs. and I want to buy her a new outfit for Christmas. I'm not sure what size to get her. She hasn't bought any new clothes for herself and her clothes are now baggy. I know she is 5'1 and weighs 198 now. She did wear a size 22 jeans and a size 2XL top. I don't want to just give her a gift card because she doesn't like to receive those. I was thinking of getting her a size 1X top and an 18 in slacks with a stretchy waist. (which she always buys a stretchy waist). Do you all think this would possibly be the right size now?
  • That sounds about right size wise. Keep the receipt, just in case it's not.
  • I think that sounds pretty close, but I would let her know that you can exchange them for something else if she doesn't like the fit. I know it's so hard to buy for someone else, because each brand can fit so differently and be different sizes, which is so frustrating.
  • I'll be sure and keep the receipt. It is hard to buy clothes for someone else. But, I know she'd appreciate it. She doesn't buy much for herself. I want to pick her out something nice to wear.
  • Also, my MIL wants a Pineapple Corer. Does anyone know where to find one of these? I saw an apple corer today at Linens and Things, but not one for pineapple.
  • Here's one that peels, cores, and slices pineapple. I've ordered from Amazon before, and am always pleased with their service.

http://www.amazon.com/Vacu-Vin-Pinea.../dp/B00005AS57
  • I know I don't need to tell you this, but every body's body is different. I am 5 ft, no inches, down to about 237, anyway on Friday I bought a size 1X shirt and it fits me perfectly. As does my size 18 skirt. I'm not sure why my clothing size is so small this early in the game, but it is. I think it has to do with the fact that my heaviest part of me is my legs and that is not involved in the size of the shirt or skirt. So I was thinking to myself that I could be out of plus size clothing in just a matter of 15 - 20 pounds. So of course there's no way to be certain of your aunt's size. A lot of stores give gift receipts, which has all the info in code and it's real easy for a recipient to exchange it. Maybe you could find a store that has them. Also if you could purchase the items in a department store that has different departments, plus sizes and regular this way she could exchange her gift if need be in either department. Amyway that's a real nice gesture and I'm sure she'll love it.
  • Is it possible that you can offer to take her shopping? Not like a gift card but maybe a personal voucher from you to her to buy her a pair of pants and a shirt?

Everyone is different and it does make a difference to have someone shop with you when you lose weight.
  • When I weighed 198 I wore a 16 & an XL top, but I am 5'5".... so her being a bit shorter, you're probably pretty close with your guess.

Good idea to get a gift receipt to pack in with it just incase.
  • im 5'2 - at 198 pounds i was 16 pants and xl top.... even at 215 pounds I was never that big... so I dunno
  • I was going to suggest the same thing as nelie. Take her shopping maybe write it in a xmas card that you owe her a day of shopping and get her outfit then.
  • Thanks skittles. Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.
  • I'm 5' 0", at 198 I'm a 16 pant, and appx XL-1X top...big boobs.

It's so interesting to me that at the same height/weight...people could be such different sizes.

I think it's so sweet of you to want to get her something new for herself...that makes her feel good!!!

Linda
  • Linda thanks. The last time I saw her she was definitely wearing baggy clothes. She said "I'm just going to keep wearing these baggy things, I don't want to waste money on clothes while I'm losing". I know that a new outfit in a smaller size would make her feel good. She is on a tight budget and I can understand her wanting to wait to clothes shop.