Low fat diet suggestions

• My doctor told me that I need to switch to a low-fat diet because I have gallstones. I already count my calories and eat a low sugar diet. I was wondering if anyone had any low fat suggestions for me. I知 not to worried about dinner because mine were already pretty lean normally being chicken and steamed veggies. For lunch I have been eating sandwiches which aren稚 to bad (I have to watch how much miracle whip I put on) and get some egg beaters for egg sandwiches and veggies. But my concern is breakfast I am currently not allowed to have whole milk, low fat milk, evaporated mild, condensed milk, eggs, waffles, pancakes, biscuits, corn bread, pastries, doughnuts, wheat germ, granola or anything containing oil or coconut or more then 2 grams of fat, fried eggs, breakfast meat, luncheon meat, fried potatoes, butter, no more then 3 eggs a week and no more then 6 oz of lean meat a day. I think you get the point without me listing everything. I know that you don稚 have to eat breakfast food for breakfast but I知 a big breakfast and am having trouble finding things that are low in sugar and fat. I知 not a big oatmeal fan but I think I知 going to try and pick some up and try it again. Thanks for any suggestions or help.
  • How about the ever popular protein pancake?
    If you surf around enough you'll find dozens of recipes, but here's mine.

Egg white substitutes come in two little containers that equal about 16 egg whites. Put'em both in the blender. Add a drizzle of water, 2 1/2 cups of oatmeal and a scoop of the plainest protein powder yu can find. whiz it up. Let it sit so the oatmeal soaks a bit. whiz it again.
    In half cup measures, this will make about 6 cakes.
    Take a nonstick pan and wipe in just a tad of oil, wipe most of it back out. make your cake just like a pancake. The bubbles will rise and break and then you turn it over.
    I let them cool and cut them in half ... 2 halves to a baggy.
    They are gruesome plain but you'll find something you like to smear on them. Fruit maybe. I eat them with everything.
  • I have gall stones as well but my doctor didn't give me specifics on what not too eat because well I should know already

For breakfast every day, I drink a shake. I use a greens shake (Ultimate meal), with protein powder and sometimes a little fruit.

You could do egg whites or do an egg substitute product (as susan said) as those are made out of egg whites. Also oatmeal pancakes are awesome and I need to make some of those soon myself Unlike susan though, I like oatmeal pancakes plain but you might want to add some splenda or a dash of vanilla to them.
  • What about a high fiber cereal with skim milk? Or Kashi Go Lean (1 gram of fat per cup) with skim milk?

Could you eat fat free English muffins with either low sugar jelly or NF cream cheese? NF cream cheese has become a staple for me, I eat it on everything from English muffins to fruit (with a little SF syrup and cinnamon stirred in) to potatoes.

Or maybe non-fat yogurt with low sugar preserves or fresh fruit?

How about just fresh fruit or making fruit shakes using non-fat yogurt, frozen banana (or other frozen fruit), and maybe a little protein powder?

Can you have egg beaters or egg whites? If so, you could make a pretty good strata using egg beaters, fat-free bread, skim milk, fat free cheese, and veggies. If you think you could eat this, I can give you a recipe that I used recently that came out great.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to go buy some cereal when I go to the store. I've never been a fan of milk (hence why I don't normally eat cereal) but it would be something quick in the morning. I'm also going to get some egg beaters and try the other things when I have more time in the morning.
    Barbara - what is your receipe for the strata I've never had it before
  • I got kind of lost with all the stuff you can't have. Even so, I eat pretty darned low fat at the moment, mostly because low fat is also low calorie.

These are some of my breakfast foods:

Kashi TLC bar--pumpkin spice is my favorite
    Low fat organic yogurt with frozen fruit mixed in
    Nature's Path Organic Flax Plus, skim, 1/2 almost frozen banana
    Weight Control oatmeal
    Piece of fruit
    Natural peanut butter on 100% whole wheat w/low sugar apricot preserves

Although I don't eat them, you might check into the veggie burger type breakfast products. If you like them, baked sweet potatoes make good breakfast food. When cooked in the oven, I don't even need to put anything except salt and pepper on them because they are very moist.
  • no oil at all? not even a little bit of a good for you oil?

if you can have a little, and you like pancakes i have a recipe for some really tasty low fat pancakes made with soy milk. I have never tried making them with no fat, so am not sure how they would turn out if you took away the little bit of canola oil that's in them, but they are actually the best pancakes i have ever had, and my regular pancakes are really good. my parents/siblings have a hang up with soy stuff, and are basically against anything soy (never even tried it), but i made the healthy ones instead of the regular ones and they liked the healthy ones better (i never told them they were healthy lol) i think there is something about the soy that gives them a better texture or something
  • Quote: no oil at all? not even a little bit of a good for you oil?
    I can have up two 3 teaspoons of oil a day. However I tried to use 1 teaspoon yesterday and I am totally regretting it today because I am in so much pain. So eventhough the Dr said I could have it I really can't.

That is really funny about your family and the healthy pancakes. It's totally the same in my family. Can you post the recipe anyways I can't eat it now but I love pancakes and would like to try them once I can eat real food again.
  • Will they be taking your gallbladder out soon?
  • Before Thanksgiving I'm waiting for the office to call me to set up the apppointment. When I posted this thread I was hoping to wait until Christmas (when I wouldn't have to miss school) but I have since meet with the surgeon and he told me that was not an option.
  • For breakfast, I suggest fruit. Lots of fruit. And perhaps a little low-fat cottage cheese or non-fat yogurt to go with it. Maybe a slice of whole wheat toast (dry or with jam). Oatmeal is good, too, and if you make it yourself, you don't have to add any bad stuff to it, and you can make it with just water instead of adding milk.
  • Oooohhhh gallbladder pain...YIKES. Had mine out about 3 years ago...and i dont miss it a bit.

I would love the stata recipe someone mentioned. And the pancake recipe.
  • Strata is an egg and bread casserole. It's very versatile--you can put almost any combination of fruit, veggies, meat, and cheese into it. If you can't have fat, than I would just put fruit or veggies and fat-free cheese into it. It's also a great dish for brunch because the eggs takes a while to soak into the bread, so you make it the night before, stick it in the fridge overnight, and cook it the next morning. So if you wanted to make this for yourself, you could prepare it on Sunday evening, then bake it Monday morning and have it to eat during the week.

Basic Strata Recipe
    • whatever filling you want (see below)
    • 3 slices fat free bread or 3 fat free english muffins
    • 3 oz fat free cheese, sliced, diced or grated (whatever seems to work best, fat free cheese doesn't always grate so well)
    • 3/4 cup egg beaters
    • 1/2 cup skim milk
    • 2 tbsp sherry or white wine
    • 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
    • 1 tsp dijon mustard or dry mustard
    • fresh or dried herbs, if desired (thyme is a great addition to eggs)

1. Prepare the filling, which can be any combination of frust, veggies and meat. If you want the strata to be fat free, stick with fruit or veggies. I usually use about 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper, and 1 cup mushrooms. To prepare them, I spray a little non-stick cooking spray in a pan and saute them until they are just tender. Or you could saute them in a small amount of fat-free chicken broth.

2. Dice the bread into 1-in cubes. Spray a 1-qt baking dish with non-stick cooking spray (I've used a bread pan). Layer half the bread in the bottom of the prepared dish.

3. Layer the filling and cheese on top of the bread and then top with remaining bread.

4. Mix the eggbeaters, milk, sherry, worcestershire sauce, mustard, and herbs together. Pour over the bread mixture, poking it with a fork or the handle of a spoon to make sure the egg mixture soaks down to the bottom. Stick the whole thing in the fridge for several hours or overnight.

5. Remove from fridge and let sit on counter for about 1/2 hour then bake at 350 degrees for about 40-50 minutes, or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand ten minutes before serving. This is how long it takes in my oven, which is old and cranky (and the door doesn't actually shut properly). My oven might take longer than ovens made in say the last decade. If you have a new-fangled oven (or even an oven with a door that actually closes) you should probably start testing for doneness at 30 minutes.

This recipe makes 2-4 servings, depending on how large you want your serving to be. Assuming 2 servings and bread that is 90 calories per slice, it would be about 340 calories per serving.

Variations
    • Crab and Cheese Strata: If you don't mind a small amount of fat (.5 g per serving), canned crab meat makes a nice addition to the above recipe. Just sprinkle it over the first layer of bread along with the veggie filling. This will add about 45 calories per serving. You can also throw in some capers if you want.
    • Fruit Strata: Another idea is to use fat free cream cheese and canned fruit as the filling (canned peaches might be good). If you are going to try this, leave out the worcestershire sauce, sherry, mustard, and herbs and instead stir 1 tsp of vanilla into the eggs.
    • Fruit Preserves Strata: Yet another idea is to place the bread in the dish whole and spread it with fruit preserves (the recipe I have suggests orange marmalade). You could also add some fat free cream cheese. Top with the remaining bread slices and egg mixture. Again, leave out the worcestershire sauce, sherry, mustard, and herbs but stir 1 tsp vanilla into the eggs.
  • isthatreallyme, I would love to get that pancake recipe.
  • Pancakes

1 cup flour (all purpose or whole wheat both work well)
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tbsp sugar (more or less - to taste, i haven't tried a sugar substitute so if you do let me know how it goes)
    1 egg or 1/4 cup egg beaters (1 egg worth)
    1 cup milk (your choice of milk, vanilla soy and plain soy work great, and even better than cow milk from my experience)
    2tbsp canola oil (can be cut to 1tbsp with no ill effects)
    2 tsp vanilla (cut back, or don't use if using vanilla soy, but i like them with just under a teaspoon when made with vanilla soy - another item that is to taste)

mix dry and liquids seperately, then combine them together. fry em at around medium heat, in a no stick pan with a spritz of becel spray, till golden

this makes about 6 average size pancakes (plenty for 2)