YOU on a Diet - Support Thread #1

You're on Page 1 of 6
Go to
  • Are you reading YOU on a Diet, following it, or just wanting to read about it? Here's the place for it!
  • i am reading this book!! i just picked it up yesterday. i also watched the Oprah episode about it, and the special on discovery health. it really has my interest peaked. could it really be this simple?? i'm hoping!! i started the plan today. anyone else out there??
  • I am following the 'diet'! I'm in the middle of day two and i'm not hungry at all I think once i last a full week or two i am going to buy the book!

Here is my question for you guys: are you eating the whole wheat products daily?

Quote:
    The Right Way to Measure Your Waist

Measure the narrowest part of your middle—which isn’t necessarily around your belly button. Find the smallest area between the top of the hipbone and the bottommost rib.
    i got this from the website which means i was measuring wrong- when i measure my narrowest i am 32 inches exactly! I recall in the show, he tells them "Suck in Suck in! You can suck in!" If thats true i'm 30" and 3/4 inches... which measurement should i use to track my progress? the non suck in or the suck in?
  • I might be totally wrong, but I was thinking that the book said something about going to the largest part of the midriff if you were smaller...shoot, I can't find that. It is in a shaded area, I believe, towards the beginning of the book if anybody knows what I'm talking about.

Ally, the book is only 9.99 if you buy it on Zooba. I would recommend buying it even if you don't follow the plan to the T because there is a lot of good info in it.
  • Whoops, strike that. Zooba won't have it for another week. It is about $13 on Amazon though.
  • Ally, I would recommend the sucked in measurement. That's what they did for everyone on the tv show. I'm sure they have a reason for it, even if they didn't explain, lol. So suck it in
  • I watched the TV special on Discovery and it intrigued me. Actually, it scared the @#$! out of me! I am about 140 lbs. overweight and when I saw them holding the enlarged heart I cringed. I can't imagine what my insides look like. I decided it comes down to this - I probably won't make it to 50 (I am 40 right now) if I don't change my way of life. So I ordered the book on Amazon and it should be on my doorstep Wednesday.

Here's to success

Donna
  • This has me intrigued as well.
    I also couldn't believe how he told them to suck it in, suck it in! I wonder why? I thinkI'm going to look into this more too!
    goodluck all
  • well yesterday was a big success for me, i felt great! not like i was dieting, and for me, that is really important. i logged all my food in and was around 1600 cals for the day. that is a little lower than the reccomended 1800 for me but i was truly full so i'm not giving it another thought.

off to a good start today, i did the 20 minute beginner workout, my pedometer is all ready (10000 steps today). off to pack my lunch for work. have a great day everyone!!
  • I am going to buy the book today. I was also very impressed with the shows (on Oprah and Discovery). It makes sense and those people had good results - so I figure why not give it a try. My husband and I are going to do it together which will make things a little easier, I imagine.

Good luck everyone!
  • Still waiting for the book and dvd. I keep reading his site and I Tivo'd Oprah and Discovery Health. Those 2 doctors are great teachers. Any suggestions on Omron HJ 112 pedometer? I looked all over yesterday so this will be ordered also.
    I am going to continue with Fat Smash until I read the book. Kathy
  • I have the book at home. I'm finishing up another book tonight (Fat Land -how Americans became the fattest people in the world) and plan to start You on a diet next. I read You the owner's manual last year and thought they made lots of sense. I'm not sure if I will change my eating plan or not. I'm pretty comfortable with what I'm doing and already consider it very healthy, but I'm always open to new ideas.
  • Tammi,

What diet are your currently following? You have done an amazing job. I am doing LA Wt. Loss. Thinking about buying the book, too, as I didn't catch the Oprah show.

Good Luck

Lolene
  • Thanks Lolene, I started out doing Somersizing (based on the Suzanne Somers diet books). I moved over to calorie counting earlier this year. At that point, I had kind of decided that Somersizing was still based on low calorie, and there were some things on Somersizing that I didn't think I could do forever. I think somersizing is fantastic, and I'm certainly not knocking it because I don't think I could have gotten started without it. It's a great way to prevent cravings and to keep from feeling deprived (which has always been a diet buster for me). I still follow many of the Somersizing principles, which seem to agree with a lot of You on a diet principles - no high fructose corn syrup, no sugar, whole grains instead of processed grains, lots of vegetables and fruit.
  • Quote:
    I watched the TV special on Discovery and it intrigued me. Actually, it scared the @#$! out of me! I am about 140 lbs. overweight and when I saw them holding the enlarged heart I cringed. I can't imagine what my insides look like. I decided it comes down to this - I probably won't make it to 50 (I am 40 right now) if I don't change my way of life. So I ordered the book on Amazon and it should be on my doorstep Wednesday.

Here's to success

Donna
    I'm right there with ya Donna!!!!!! I saw the show just now when he was on Oprah with the You on a Diet and WOW! I saw him holding up the Omentum and the fatty liver and all I could do was just cry! Because I know what he was showing was inside of me!!!!!

I'm going to be ordering his books and read up!!!!!!!!