New here and need some advice please

• Hi everyone. I'm new here and very glad to have found this site. I have a question and I hope that I'm posting in the correct forum. I'm 29 and trying to conceive my first baby. with Clomid; I'm a little concern about my weight. I'm 5'2, okay 5'3 and weighing 167. My OB don't have any concerns about my weight but I do because it's very difficult for me to become pg. He also said that it will be okay but I read somewhere that if you do a crash diet that you can risk the chance of delaying ovulationa and I already have that problem. So all that being said, I would like to try to loose at least 15 pounds even thought I'm currently ttc. Do you think it will be okay for to try to lose some weight now? I know that I should had thought about it sooner but after doing some research on the net, I think if I lost some weight that it might help me conceive a little faster. I was looking into the Fat Smash Diet. I'm not a big fan of eating meat daily and that's why I thought this diet would work for me. Any suggetions will be grealty appreciated . Thank you, Nina
  • Eating healthy is good for being pg.. trust me I know, even though I'm not trying to have kids right now. My mother developed the kind of diabetes a woman gets while pregnant (I forget the name) and noone caught it because she usually ate so well. About 8 weeks before I was due, she went on a sugar binge, and at her next checkup her bloodsugar was high. Her doctor said if it was that high next week they would have to do some sort of measures... however, that never happened because I was here the next week, 7 weeks early. It was really hard for my mom.. I was black and blue and had no lungs (or chin, haha) and the first few weeks were really iffy for me. I stayed in the hospital for about 2 months, and had some developmental lagging for my first 3 years. So yes... eat as healthily as possible, your OB could probably help you with a healthy pregnancy diet.

As for the exercise.. honestly I'm not sure. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

=/ ~Fae
  • Binge dieting isn't healthy for anyone. If you aren't a big meat eater, check out the whole foods section. We promote healthy eating (quite similar to Fat Smash and South Beach and Sonoma diets). If you're pregnant or trying to get pregnant it would be in your best interests to eat healthy--not to restrict yourself. Besides restricting generally leads to failure--you just can't stick to anything when you are constantly reminded of things you "cannot have" because they are "not on your diet." We eat whole, real foods and we stay away from the processed crap that is usually what made us gain weight in the first place.
  • Oh no I don't want to crash diet
    I apologize for the misunderstanding, I don't want to do a crash diet, I thought crash dieting meant restricting certaind foods for a certain amount of time. Please forgive me. I misunderstood what crash dieiting meant. After looking at several diets the fat smash looked to be what I liked the most because of the foods and that's why I wanted to know if it will be a good idea to do? It seemed to include all the food groups and since I don't eat meat on a regular, I thought this would be great and easy for me to follow. I know that once I become pg I will have to increase my intake by 300-400 cal but I was hoping that by that time I will be used to eating healthy and instead of turning to unhealthy foods I can increase it willing to healthy foods.
  • Dieting too harshly does affect ovulation, and so does being overweight. My sister tried for 8 years to get pg, even used fertility drugs. She was about 90 pounds overweight. She lost about 50 pounds and conceived without any treatment. You aren't that overweight, but some people are more sensitive to problems like that. It can't hurt to start eating healthier if you're concerned that it's a problem for you. I wouldn't however suggest doing anything drastic that limits any food groups, like Atkins, South Beach, Fat Smash, etc. Just try to count calories and eat healthier types of foods. There's nothing in doing that which would harm your fertility or a possible pregnancy you aren't aware of yet.
    I can tell you from experience that weight issues can make pregnancy SO much more difficult. I gained 80 pounds with all 3 of mine. While I wasn't overweight at the start of any of my pregnancies, gaining so much weight definitely made me obese during and after. The heavier you are, the more uncomfortable you will be, the more strain put on your body, and labor will be much more difficult. I had to have c-sections, and I really believe that my weight played a part in that. Starting now before you get pg by eating more sensibly and starting an exercise program will not only possibly make you more fertile, but will make pregnancy easier and your recovery faster. Once you get pregnant, most doctors will tell you is NOT the time to make a drastic change to your body, like beginning a strenuous exercise routine that you aren't already used to, or trying to "diet" at all. You already have great intentions by planning to be as healthy as you can, and to try to meet new cravings and calorie demands with healthier choices. You are already on a much better track and have a better mindset than I did-because I made the horrible mistake of using pregnancing as an excuse to sit on the couch and eat twinkies and ho-ho's for 9 months
  • Thank you
    Thank you rebel and fae, I called my dr today and explained the whole diet issues with him. He said that he will call me back to let me know what to do. Nina
  • ygwife, my momma is a certifiable fitness freak and she exercised all through her pregnancies with my brother and I. She was still swimming a mile a day up until she was 8 months pregnant with me and the doctor told her to dial it down and rest up. She says all that exercise is what made it possible to go drug-free for both labors (with the exception of a little Pitocin for me, I was 2 weeks late!), and have super quick and easy labors.

Anyways, let us know how it goes!