Merida--there IS no one else out there

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Seems like it is just me, alone, taking Merida. I will be posting on Xenical Xanies for a while. Hope the old Merida posters are doing well.
  • I am here!
    Hi Nikolas!

I am back. I was gone for a few months. I had been doing great on Merida , I lost about 15 lbs. I was thrilled. My doctor put me on 15mg after only 1 month on Meridia (10mg) and it did not agree with me. After I switched back to 10mg it seemed to have no effect. I took a few months off from it and just started back on. I think I had to get myself 'mentally' back to a place where it could work for me again. I am bummed that I have gained the weight I lost back. I even have contemplated having the stomach surgery done. I just can't bring myself to do something so radical.

So, I am glad you are out there Nikolas, cus you have done so well on Meridia! It helps to keep me going on my second attempt to know there is someone out there having such success with it. Are you still on 10mg?

Well, I hope you and everyone else on Merida are doing fine.

Take Care,
    Elle
  • Welcome back elle. I posted the thead as a swan song. No one had posted in ages. I was worried about everyone. Still am. Guess that happens with these things.

It takes courage to come back after sliding. We all do it from time to time.

Yes, I am still taking the 10 mg. I went to the doctor last Monday and have lost 78 lbs since last week in January. I asked doc about going to 15mg. Explained my concern----that people who posted to Merida bulletin board had trouble with the 15mg. I asked him because it seems I have more days when I get hungry than I did before. He thought that I should stay on the 10mg since any increase might result in side effects including raising my blood pressure. He also said that if I felt that I had increasingly more days when I felt hungry to call and he would give me 5mg to go along with my 10s. I will wait for a bit. Was nervous about taking the 15mg.

Many people have strong feelings about having/not having surgery. I think it should be looked into carefully but feel that it is right for some people. I know two women in my town who have had it done. So far, so good. Both had medical problems that were related to their obesity and the choice maybe was easier for them. One woman was very big and had a problem getting around. The hospital that I go to does the surgery laproscopically and the recuperation time is cut by 75%. I have to be honest and say that if I had not suceeded with Merida (and we still don't know the final results---) that I would have seriously considered the surgery. Not an easy decision.

Hope you have better results this time. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. Are you doing a food program along with the Merida?

The one thing I have learned which probably every addict knows, is that I just have to take one day at a time. When I was on vacation I ate everything (gained 7 lbs) but did not beat myself up afterwards and got right back on track when I came home.

Take good care of yourself.
  • Hi Nikolas!

I am not using an eating plan per say, but I try to plan ahead with healthy meals and snacks. I try to drink plenty of water also. I keep track of calories, (1600-1800/day) but I keep track in my head, I don't write anything down. I am bad about keeping a food journal because sometimes I think that perpetuates a feeling of thinking about food all the time for me.

What have you been doing to be so successful? I know Meridia only works for me if I meet it half way. So you are doing something right! Please share!

Take Care,

Elle
  • well hello again.....was surprised to see Merida thread up on top. I too can't keep a journal but I did do it for one week to appease the other members of my group and I did learn from it. Never realized that eggs were 6.5 fat grams a piece.....which is not bad but I was taking two and sometimes three hard boiled eggs to work. Just an example of how a food log does help but I still don't keep one. lol

No big secrets here. Really don't track calories---track fat grams. Your calorie intake sounds very reasonable and water is very important. I need to stay under 30 fat grams a day and hopefully around 1600-1800 calories. However, I have changed my eating habits totally. Eat fish three times a week, still hate veggies, have cut down on meat and weight it (that was another thing I learned from log--lots of fat grams in hamburg) BUT I have ice cream and coolwhip every night. And sometimes a blow pop too. The ice cream (low fat) gives me something to look forward to.

And now what I think has made the most difference and I hate to say this. I ignored this part of changing lifestyles for many weeks and then gave in. EXERCISE. I exercise 5/6 times a week. I keep it simple Richard Simmons tape (60 minute) or a 30 minute tape and 30 minutes of weights.

Well, I am getting preachy and don't mean to. Went to the Outback Steakhouse last weekend and ate everything. Again, I just go right back to sensible eating.

Hope you are doing well. Do you feel that the Merida is still helping you? I don't meet many people who take Merida. Sort of makes me nervous and even the pharmacys around here say that they don't get a lot of call for it. Hmmmmmmm Is this stuff safe?

Well post again when you have the chance.

Take care
  • Hi Nik - I have been musing over Meridia for a while. My doctor pal says it is one of the good ones - but then he said that about fen-pen or whatever it was called! Bob is an endocrinologist who specializes in eating disorders and usually is on top of this stuff.
    I am planning to talk to my GP this Thursday when I go for my recall. He counts on me to do the research and then just fills out the prescription! Scarey! How big is your dosage?
    I KNOW I need to exercise - need a brain and body transplant first, however.
  • Ruthhhhhhhhhhhhh, well there you are---how are you doing? Miss seeing you on chat. I have been working, working, working and never get on till 11 p..m. est....too late, I know. Hopefully, now that audit is over, I will get out of work at a reasonable time.

Ok Ruth, straight deal on Merida, as I know it. It has helped me more than I can ever tell you. A woman who used to post to this thread said it best. It stopped her from constantly thinking about food. Since my car accident (now 5.5 years ago) when I gained 100+ lbs. I tried to lose weight but could not shut my mouth for more than a week or so (know that does not surprise you). . I woke up every a.m. and my first thought was what I could NOT have for the day After taking Merida that stopped.

I go to a Boston Hospital and see the head of endricronology. I had several options, joining group, Xenical, Merida, liquid diet or stomach stapling. After talking to him (sweets were my big thing and night eating) we both decided Merida was for me. I was afraid and held off getting the script filled for a month.

There is a lot of info out there. I joined the Point of Change program. Sorry don't have web site but just do a seach under Merida. Plus they send you a card good for 25% off first three prescriptions and then 50% off of next three prescriptions. Evidently Costco has the most reasonable prices. Merida comes in 5,10 & 15 mg doses. Everyone starts on 10 mg and that is what I am still on.

My doctor believes I should stay on Merida (no side effects exept dry mouth) until I have reached a certain weight and then he will take me off for a month and see how I do. My regular internist watches me also and is amazed what I have accomplished. His previous advice of "eat chicken and fish" did not seem to to the trick.

Ruth, I went on this because of health reasons. I knew it was only a matter of time before this darn weight got the best of me.

Lol, Ruth, I too need a brain and body transplant. I do not know your medical history but my advice is to try it for a month and see what happens. Merida has given me control. I know, I sound like an ad. I am leaving for Hawaii in three weeks and have promised myself that I won't go crazy. Because I can't walk too much, I will need to use the hotel's exercise equipment. I know I will gain weight but am prepared for it mentally.

What ever you decide, it will be right for you. Please do rememember that this is not a miracle pill and people who have taken Phen Fen are disappointed. It does not work the same way. Good luck to you Ruth and let me know what you decide.

Boy am I long winded---take care Ruthxxx. Hope to see you in chat.
  • Thanks, Nik. Just re-read all the posts and also visited the Meridia website. Am all set to discuss this with my GP this morning. Will let you know how it goers.
    I am sticking to my "plan" pretty well but those extras seem to sneak in there towards the end of the day. My only concern is that it may put my BP back up but losing weight will help cure that.
    Bye for now.
  • I've been on meridia for almost a week now and I'm very happy with it so far. I really do feel full on much less food, I don't feel hungry, and don't have the nervous feeling like other appetite suppresants. The only side effect so far is a slight headache which I hope will stop. My portions are 1/2 of what I was eating. I'm trying to write everything I eat in a journal and I weigh myself everyday so I can be aware and have it for reference.

Is there any other web sites on meridia?

I have over 100 to lose so I'm in this for quite awhile. I will be thrilled if I take 50 pounds off with meridia.

I know a few people taking meridia and are doing very well.
  • Rose, welcome. Glad to hear that Merida is helping you. I know headaches are a common side effect. Hope they will diminsh for you. Unfortunately, I do not know of any other Merida site. I have done searches but have not come up with anything. When I joined 3fatchicks there was a merida thread and there were about 8 of us who posted regularly. I also go on the live chat here and have never met another person who is on Merida. Let us know how you are doing.

Ruth, hope you made out ok at doctors. I know that sometimes high blood pressure can be a reason they will not prescribe Merida.

Again, I feel like the more I lose the stronger I seem to get. I still have a long way to go but I hope I "get it" now. I must always eat somewhat like the way I am eating now otherwise I will gain back the weight. The one thing I know it that is gets easier every day (although some days I am sooooooooo hungry)

Take care
  • The Doc Report for Nik
    The little bugger fooled me! He is sending me for a stress test
    first to ensure my heart is A-OK! Aside from BP, Meridia also will exacerbate a heart condition and he knows my sister has just been diagnosed! (She weighs about 150 at 5'2", works out, does not smoke or drink - go figure!) Anyhow he wants to eliminate that before I start.
    Sooooowill 10 minutes on a treadmill kill me? Probably!
    If not, it will at least get me used to one because I AM GOING TO LOSE THIS DAMNED BLUBBER! So there!
  • Ruth, I think you have a good doc---very through. I wish every doctor was like yours. Some are more than willing to prescribe drugs without looking at the potential consequences. i.e. look at all the docs now prescribing Cipro for people who are afraid of contacting anthrax. Cipro itself has side effects and people will build up an immunity. So consider yourself lucky.

I have not had a stress test. I know people get very tired especially if they are not used to regular exercise. Good luck an let me know how you make out.

TC
  • I'm on meridia
    Hi there! I've been taking meridia for almost 5 weeks. I am excercising regularly and eatting healthy. I am down 22lbs. I'm so excited about meridia. I would love to talk to you about it. I've also started a very small club on yahoo to gain support. If you are interested let me know I look forward to hearing from you soon. Missy
  • Meridia
    Hi,

I haven't been here in a very long time cause my computer crashed but now we have a new one. Anyways my doctor just started me on Meridia this week. I am taking 10 mg. So far I still feel hungry . Not sure but I think I will give it another week or so and see if it improved. I have no side effects so far. Does anyone have any suggestions for lunch meals. I own a convenience store with lots of fattening sandwiches and candy so I need to bring my lunch or run home for lunch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to lose 70 pounds on Meridia. I signed up for the Point of Change plan and am going to try to use that as a guide to meals. I also joined Curves for Women and hopefully that will help my exercise part of it.
  • Welcome, Missy and Karia. I love finding other people that take Merida. We seem to be few and far between.

Missy, you are doing SUPER. I'm glad to hear that Merida is working for you. I have been on Merida since the last week in January. I have lost 87 lbs so far. I have been more hungry lately and after my vacation (going in one week for two weeks away), think I will ask doctor about putting me on 15 mg. I would love to join a group on yahoo. I am already signed up under Nikolasgrrr (think 3 r's) but will not be doing much chattin or posting until I come back from Hawaii.

Karia, it takes two/three/sometimes even four weeks for Merida to work for some people. Can't remember when it "kicked" in for me but hang in for a while. Lunch suggestions?? Well, I will give you some idea of what I take. Cold cuts (I don't have bread---one of the few things I can do without) for example I might have 3 slices of turkey breast, carry pickels in a tupperware container, small can of V8 juice and fruit. There is a trim and lean honey ham that I use (3 slices also). I take 3 oz of tuna or you can take more. Try the lowfat mayo or use relish instead. Again, I have no bread but you certainly can. If I have pasta at night, I will take a cup to work with me the next day. I try to make it easy on myself since I don;t have a lot of time to put lunch together. Good luck and let us know if the Merida works.

Ruthxxx, hope you are doing well. Waited to hear on chat how you made out with stress test.

Take care