Friends around the World # 14 - We're in McKenzie Country in NZ.

You're on Page 11 of 25
Go to
  • yaaay a me day! Well almost. I do have a huge list to achieve by the end of the day, I do like days like this because if I look at my list and see I have achieved I feel so good!

"Priscilla Queen of the desert"has been made into a musical here in Australia. It was absolutely first class. I loved it so much, the acting, singing, dancing and costumes were outstanding. If it every comes up yonder you all should see it. Worth a trip to Sydney for Shad. really really really good.
    DH and I had a lovely dinner at the Pyrmont restaurant, scallops and rack of lamb ( not together) I couldn't finish my lamb. I was so hungry but had to leave some for DH to taste. The night was very special. There was even fireworks out on the harbour.
    I think we should try and go to a show a month, they are so worthwhile. We might have to pop it into the budget.
    We have just booked tickets to see Billy Crystal in "700 Sundays" It's a one man show and a musical too. I know it will be brilliant. DH and I just finished reading his book, it's based on the time he spent with his Dad, he used to spend every Sunday with him, he died when he was 14. Quite inspirational.

Today I must buy bits and pieces for the cupcakes, didn't get a chance yesterday. I am a little pushed for time as I have a party on for a friend on Friday night but should be able to manage things on Saturday morning as DD party is at 2pm, I always freak out a little before I have to do something like this, just hope it all comes together.

Madcat... making a dragon head sounds so much fun! I once had to make a donkey head for the school prduction of midsummer nights dream. It was fun.
    It's great that you can incorprotate fun stuff into work, makes the grind that much more enjoyable.

ceejay, you snuck in there. You must have been online when I was well done on the miles!

Shad ...all your renos sounds great. It is easy to spend up large on the light fittings and extras but I think it is worth it. They make a vaste improvement to the house. We did the same a little while ago. I changed all the fittings that were old fashioned for fresh chrome ones. I love butter yellow, it's a very restful colour. There is nothing like a fresh coat of paint to make everything pop!

Ok no one else here ar the moment. Big to everyone I must redeem this one.
  • Morning all,
    Have gymmed and done my 600cal cardio workout. Yeah. Last Tuesday I didn't make the 600 and I didn't think I would today either, but I pushed and pushed and all of a sudden it was there. Yea again. I intend going everyday to the gym until the rellies arrive on Tuesday night and then I'll give it a rest until they are gone. Unless of course I find myself with time on my hands - hardly likely with the Ringmaster act I need to perform over that week.

I'm going out with DS2 again today. We are going to the opening of the massive new Ikea store a couple of K's away from where we live. I don't expect to buy anything - I'm not all that much of an Ikea fan, but it will be interesting to see.

Ceejay - sounds like you have had a bad day. They come and happen. Just roll with it and ensure tomorrow is better.

Suzi - glad to hear you enjoyed the show. I would like to come down to see it but unless it is still showing in 6 months time I can't see where I can fit it in. I go to Townsville right after the rellies leave.

Happy - I'm with you as far as the sugars go. My Dr Kim told me once that the reason they do blood tests so often on people like me is because of sugar levels and the diabetes epidemic in Australia. His way of describing it was to think of the pancreas as the fuel tank for insulin. It fills, uses and refills itself. Over time the machinery doesn't work so well, can't keep up with needs or can't produce the necessary fuel at all if it completely misfunctions. In this case there is more sugar in the blood and more sugar means more storage of the energy (weight) and a change of diet is indicated. So yes you are probably on the right track when you say it is not carbs that is causing your problem. In many cases it is the natural sugars in good wholesome food. Therefore a reduction in food is needed or a change in the way we eat our food is needed. I suffer from the same problem probably. Maybe I need to look up the dietary needs for diabetic sufferers and adapt it accordingly.

Better go get my breakfast. Then do some yard work until the DS2 shows up - if he remembers to show up!!!
  • Tig Who?
    I've implemented the project at work with minimal issues. Finally!!! After two years!!!!! I've worked every day, Saturdays and Sundays included, since well, August - or July. I'm not even sure which. I should be able to get a day off soon. I've even worked on days that I was supposedly on vacation. A Real Day off soon. Cell phone AND pager off. I've promised Slim. Actually, we're talking about a ride to the Florida Keys. Sometime. Not yet scheduled.

I have managed to keep running, but only once a week. I've been increasing the amount of time that I run and the distance to make up for not being able to run more frequently. I've still put on weight - it's the stress of the project, I know, in addition to lack of exercise and all the overtime which is eating into my exercise time. I'll start attacking that right away! The easiest way to lose weight is to avoid stress, eat less, eat right, and exercise. It sure is easy to say!!

So, that's what I've been up to. Missed you all!
  • How is everybody?
    Kiwis from Chili don't taste anywhere near as fresh and juicy as the ones from New Zealand! All hail the New Zealand Kiwis!

Mel-oh dear, oh my! I hope you are resting like Jen said you were supposed to be doing and not answering the phone, door or windows I bet they are shoving papers under your door as I am typing... resist and recooperate

Shad-getting closer, the big day! Anticipation... are you getting excited to spring the big surprise? sounds like you are doing intensive training in order to face all the friends and relatives, wheee! Congratulations on your tenacity and willpower I hope is wonderful and fingers crossed no one lets the cat out of the bag... run Sunday, run! Have a blast in IKEA, my husband says they are rat mazes and whines the entire time we are there, so we don't go much.

Happy-Weight watchers and work mates? Wow, goodness, I guess the snack machine will be well monitored, I can feel the eyes I'm sure the WW plan is more flexible than the old days and you will do great.

Suzi-cupcakes my kids always want the pink, heart shaped sprinkles. Maybe because they are bigger. My daughter made a treasure map and made sure she included a snack stop (picture of refridgerator) on her map so they would have plenty of energy to do the digging once the spot where the treasure was buried (a very ragged, dirty stuffed animal) How did your ME day go? was it good?

Madcat-how is the dragon head coming? Are you painting it gold and red? Green? purple? will it have horns? big teeth? fire coming out of the mouth? I hope you are wearing gloves with the chicken wire, that stuff is very sharp when cut. Two person jacuzzi, kisses in the mist... sounds like a real good time! Glad your birthday away was so invigorating

Tig-work, work work... I hope they appreciate you. Good to see you back. Have you at least been out to breakfast and a bike ride on the weekends before you go in to work some more?

Ceejay-it is Wednesday night? Feeling more optimistic? Way to go on the miles? Are you tracking your way across the country on a map? Mel was doing that... I think she is in the middle of the Atlantic somewhere trying to visit Teel and Linus

Holly-turn off the engine How is it going?

Hi Carla
  • Hi chicks,

Not much time to post this week, too many things to do before our trip. I'm so excited! Last night I had a dream we were at a party and I surprised my mom. Now of course it won't happen this way since we're showing up at my sister's tomorrow night so we'll surprise her then since she INSISTED on coming to my sister's house early despite S's desperate attempts to disuade her. I still hope she doesn't know about the party on Saturday tho DH said she's going to think something's up when we show up.

I did my weigh in at WW this week. Highest weight ever in my life. But I do feel it's a turning point for me. I was surprised at the new program, I think I like it. It does incorporate fats, sugars and healthy eating. You do have to track (you bite it you write it they tell me) I have resigned myself to the fact that that is just as necessary as exercise and water in order to lose weight. They have this new slide type card you can use to calculate your (food) points so it's much easier now than when they started this program.

While we were getting registered the group leader was talking about having a regular weigh in outfit that you wear every week just to keep things consistent. She said she started in the summer and her weigh in outfit was a t-shirt and a pair of gym shorts (she went for the lightest possible clothing). Said it was a bit of a bear in the dead of winter when she had a long wool coat on and shorts and a t-shirt underneath. Then she said she was from Chicago. I said where? She said Arlington Heights. I said you're kidding, I moved here (Memphis) from Arlington Heights 2 years ago! She said she moved here 4 years ago. I asked her where she lived (Arlington Heights is a pretty big town - 6th largest city in Illinois). She said over by the hospital. I said me too! Turns out we lived about a half mile apart across the main road from each other. Isn't that wierd? Here we both lived for several years near to each other, most probably crossed paths at the grocery store up the road, only to meet one day in a conference room in Memphis. Life is strange! I like her as a leader - she's very bubbly and outgoing without being sugar sweet yucky over the top.

So yesterday was my first full weight watchers day. I stayed within my points, didn't use any of the extra weekly allottment. I did have to carefully plan my food and I would have liked to eat more at times but it wasn't because I was hungry, only just a habit. The hardest was the evening when I kept wanting to nibble. I have 2 coffees with creamer and a LF yogurt for breakfast. (I will never be able to give up my coffee). Had a Lean Cuisine chicken bits with wild rice and green beans for lunch along with a chopped salad of lettuce and tomato with a drizzle of ranch dressing. Snack was a yummy granola bar. So yummy I didn't know if I wanted to tell DH just how good it was Dinner was chicken cutlets sauteed with green, red, and yellow peppers with onion and garlic. I had some delicious oven roasted potatoes which were suprisingly low in points. Topped it off with some sliced fresh tomatoes (trying to finish the last batch of the season from the farmers market and most veggies are zero points). I had 1 cup of milk each at lunch and dinner. That left 1 point which I splurged on a Tootsie Pop lollipop for lack of any other options that appealed to me. Most veggies are zero points but fruit is at least 2 points and I didn't want to go over my points on my very first day. I got my water, dairy, oils and veggies in for the day. I just have to keep the good momentum going through the weekend and when I get back.

Meadow, I must agree with your kiwi statement. I thought it was just my taste. Hail NZ!

Tig, nice to hear from you. Oh the joys of working in IT. It's amazing it doesn't kill us. I admire you for still running - even if only once a week. Hopefully you can get back in gear after the project finishes up.

Shad, that's a very good analogy from Dr. Kim - thanks for sharing it. My endochronologist said that proving insulin resistance is a difficult thing but just like thyroid problems, we the lay people have our suspicions - we just have a hard time getting the doctors to listen! So Tuesday starts the big reunion. Get your sleep now, you're going to be one super super busy woman next week!

Suzi, that's so cool you go to see plays - even if you have to drag the DH. My DH is not into shows tho he does enjoy a good comedy act. Have fun baking, no sampling

Hi Ceejay - you go girl (on that bike!)

Madcat, the dragon head sounds very interesting. And you sound like just the right person that can figure out how to pull that off. Work is work but if you can take a few minutes of serious goof off time, it makes the job so much better.

Well I've got to get going. They are moving us at the other office and of course no one bothered to tell me. They are moving next week and I'm going to head over there today to pack up my stuff just in case I can't get over there next week. I am only working on a temp project with those people and that's good because I'd hate it if I were permanent. Not the kind of group that has any comraderie whatsover. Ugh.

Hi to the rest of the chicks. Big to recouperating Mel. Hope you feel a little better today. I'm trying to get the girls here to pitch in and get a big hunky masseusse for you. So far all we can afford is Pee Wee Herman. Ewwwwwwwww.
  • The 5 yo girl who beat up my DD on the bus a few weeks ago, spit in her face yesterday and has been removed from the bus for the rest of the school year.

2 meetings last night. 2 this morning. Dealt with the school stuff. Have to get groceries and have an avon meeting tonight.

3 hours til the kids come home. How shall I spend this time?????

PS- not really having me time but catching up on a lot of neglected niggles. The lack of noise and chaos is delightful. Kids are doing well.

Mad- the new car smell is horrific!!
  • I'm also in agreement about NZ kiwi's.

Our department had a safety luncheon today at the mexcan resturant. Yummm. Even had the sopippias, misspelled of couse, but I didn't have breakfast so I had a few calories to splurge. I had the mexican chicken salad.
    Afterwards my boss told me that a police officer had been looking for me with a manila envelope in his hand. He told me who it was and I headed toward the police department and asked for that officer. It turned out that he was just being a good person. I'm taking a flu shot on next Tuesday and I was not in a particular system so I had to fill out a form. The HR person had put it in the police departments box by mistake. Called the boss back and told him. He gave a big sigh of relief.

I'm leaving out the door in a few minutes to go to early voting.

Shad--What are you doing to burn 600 calories in your cardio work out?
    Usually when I get depressed I go on a binge and that has been a lot lately.

Happy-- Have a safe trip and enjoy the time with family.

Suzi--I think you should enjoy some entertainment each month. Billy Crystal should be a good show. Have a date night with your hubby.

I forgot who asked if I were tracking my miles. I am. I have a trip planned to California this spring. I didn't know how many it was until I checked on map quest. It's a little longer than 1500 miles. It's really 2100 miles one way. I'll change that in a few minutes.

It's time to put a load of clothes in the dryer and then I'm out to go vote.

Have a good day.
  • morning all,
    I'm going to get this in before I get started for the day. Otherwise the day tends to get away from me and although I read, I don't get back to post either until late or maybe not at all.

Tig - how wonderful to have a post from you. Congrats on bringing in the project. It's big achievement. Are you having time off after you wind this up? You sound like you really, really need it. I know I do when I roll off the project and I'm not managing the overall concept only my little bit.

Meadow - so nice to hear that you prefer the NZ variety. Me too. I remember back when there such a furore in NZ because we had sold the plant species to Italy. The theory was that it would go up there on the off season down here. Then they later sold it all over. However here in Aus, I have tried the Italian Kiwi (small, hard, tasteless), the Chiliean variety (bigger but as Meadow said not as juicy), the one from up here on Mt Tamborine (bullets have more texture and shape) and the ones from Victoria (probably the best of the offshore bunch but small). Those ones you get from Chile are the type we used to feed to the cattle because we wouldn't eat the juiceless ones - it's also a meat tenderiser although I doubt it works on the hoof so to speak. My DS1 lived on Kiwi for a while. He had terrible tummy troubles as a baby and toddler and mashed Kiwi was a real treat for him and so good for them too. Even now he just rubs off the furry bit and eats skin and all.

Happy - what a shame your Mum has decided to come early and will ruin her own surprise. Fortunately I don't think this will happen with my DB. Which reminds me I had better ring him and have a chat today - just to keep him OUT of the loop so to speak. I'll suggest he brings along some fruit juice for the family reunion I think.
    How coincidental is that - that your WW Leader is from the same town in Illinois and you both end up in the same place in Tennessee. Good luck with WW and it sounds like you had a real good first day on it. Remember how it was when you gave up smoking? Well the habit of not putting food in your mouth is exactly the same. You will need the same sort of will power for this as well.
    Drive safe to Chicago.

Holly - What do Canadians put into their new cars to make them smell horrific? I liked the smell of my new cars and endeavour to keep it as long as possible.

Ceejay - too funny about the policeman. Did you think you had a summons coming up or did you think you were about to be called for jury duty? Are these State elections that you have today?
    My workout consists of 16 minutes on the Cycle - around 140 cal most days - 16 minutes on the eliptical - around 240-250 cals - 16 - 20 minutes on the treadie including cool down time - around 220-230 cals. Sometimes I can get more cals out of the routine (usually on the first workout of the week). Now I don't know how accurate these things are and I don't really believe all that they tell me but as long as I can get over that 600 mark I know I have had a good workout. I'm drenched in sweat and my leg muscles are quivering. To get to those cals, I have to use level 9 or above and use either Hill or Random on the workout type. Random is the toughest. And I have to keep the revs on the bike at around 95-100rpm and the eliptical over 70 to achieve those figures. In between I do pilates stretches on the ball to stretch out the leg and pelvic muscles. Somedays are easier than others. Next step is to increase the time and/ or increase the level.

Right, well the day calls. I need to collate the wants/ wishes of the nieces and nephews and go talk to DB1 to ensure that he knows what is going on and what/ who he can fit into his day/ car/ house so that all the work does not fall on me!!!! But first to the gym. Once that is out of the way, the rest of the day is mine. Strength and resistance workout today. I am considering upping the weights shortly since I can feel the workout getting easier, but that will remain to be seen after I go to Townsville - I have to get a gym workout there as well otherwise I'll be back to where I was after Wollongong. And I still haven't lost the weight from there.
  • Hi there all you brightly lit bulbs - oh wait EGGS.

Just peeking, will try to get back later after supper.
  • HI all , quick hello to all. I am at work and putting off the WORK . I just find otherwise I am twiddling my thumbs. I know that sounds bad but it is quiet ehre on a Friday. It's my paid work day and i actually find I am buiser on my volunteer day....mind you I will say all this and then probably jinx it!

Happy That is so cool about the WW meeting and your leader for it. It is a very small world isn't it? Wow right across the street.
    You sound like you have a plan with everything too. Like I say that accountability is good. I think doing things with others is such a help ...and in some ways having a high weight to start is a bonus, it's a wake up call for you and you hopefully will see GREAT progress! I am rooting for you!
    It's always so good to get some new focus on things. WW is supposed to be THE most successful plan around according to the stats.

Shad...your plan sounds cimilar to mine at the Gym. I don't think i have been looking at the cals tho, that is encouraging. I like the way you say strength and resistence training instead of weights. It's very true. I know with some of the machines I have I find I have improved and definitely grown muscles but some I am still very weak. Legs for me is always a problem with my knee and so i try not to put strain on it although it is getting strongere.
    All your plans sound like so much fun...so Tuesday is D Day when everyone arrives...yaaay.

Meadow...I'm with you on the kiwis!!! Never mess with a good thing I say. They know how to do some things VERY well ....their Savignon Blancs from NZ are the best to be had!

Ceejay....ohhh how scary for you. A policeman running around with an envelope for YOU. I don't know why but there is always a little prohibition in me when I see that uniform. Not thatI have anything to hide. Funny...glad it was sorted.
    It's a nice plan for you to track your miles. I do the same at the Gym or the computer does it for me. It shows me how far I have gone on the Tour de France route, very cool.
    Holly...how mean of that little girl. It's a good thing the bus company took action quickly. Hopefully it will teach her a lesson. Nice to have some peace eh? well I like my new car smell because I have leather seats and all i can smell is the leather :P
    Tig nice to see you. on completion of the project!!! You need a well deserved holiday!!!

Mel...hi I see you hiding. Hopefully you are healing quickly and you feel better.
    right I better look busy.

Love to all and have great weekends. I might come back later for a peek.
  • Just peeking ...and yes work is dragging....:P
  • Morning folks,

Not enough time for a real post today. Trying to pull everything together. At best the trip will be slow going - heavy rains this morning all the way up to Chicago. Good wishes for a safe drive would be appreciated

I just popped in to say hello and I hope you all have a great weekend ahead of you full of fun and excitement Hope all goes well with the party plans Shad.

I'll be back on Tuesday
  • Happy--Be safe and drive with care.

Holly--Cherish the quite time. You of all people deserve it.

Shad-- I sceond the motion of havy a good time with the party plans. Don't let it stree you out to much.

As for me. I've been dealing with a sinus infection all week and decided to go visit the doctor today. He gave me an injection which I think was an antihistmine cause I've slept all afternoon. And wanted to know how the paxil was working for me. I am a lot better in that realm.
    food has not been good at all this week due to the sinus infection but I weighed in at 182.5 at the doctor's office. Did a few errands before I came home and went to sleep on the couch.
    I'm going to Paragould around noon. I will be back Sunday.
  • Happy~ Have a safe trip.
  • Just woke up and can move a bit more freely now. Every day is less pain but it's far from over. Haven't read anything so I'll come back later. I actually went to the foodstore yesterday but came home early and very sleepy for some reason. Willy helped me with the groceries.
    Happy Saturday and have a great weekend
    hello to everyone.