You aren't a Fat Smasher until...

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I was talking to a good friend last week that seemed interested in the Fat Smash diet after I explained it to her and described how much I (and you) liked it. She bought the book, went to the store and bought brown rice, oatmeal, fruits and veggies and geared up to start the diet. A few days later, I asked her how it was going, and she said not good. She said that the diet had made her sick, so she didn't think she was going to do it. I was curious and surprised, so I prodded her for more info. The first day of her new diet, she got up late and didn't have time to cook oatmeal. She then didn't have time to cook rice and it had not occurred to her to cook it the night before. She ended up packing some yogurt and bananas and took them to work with her, and that's all she had to eat. By mid-afternoon, she was feeling light-headed. She blamed the Fat Smash diet and immediately went back to her old routine. I proceeded to explain that the Fat Smash diet was not to blame because she was never on the Fat Smash diet. You have to read the book and eat the recommended foods, even if you don't eat the full amounts - you still need something from each food group or you deprive your body of proper nutrition. It is a very flexible plan, but the basics should not be ignored.

I'm mentioning this because we all probably know someone that may want to try this diet, but may feel that they can skimp on some of the foods because they don't like them. They are there for a reason, and balanced nutrition is very important for us all along the path to weight loss. We need whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and dairy. Please make sure that you all follow the guidelines. Let's encourage each other to stay on the path Hopefully we can share a lot of tips with each other for making the foods taste better, and perhaps some reasonable tweaking, so we'll all be successful with this diet plan
  • So true-I think planning & some open-mindedness help big time on this plan. I never had black beans before in my life & now I really have come to like them a LOT. Same thing for certain types of fruits-mangos & fresh pineapple have replaced chips & pretzles for my late night snacks. Yeah I miss the salt but the rewards are well worth the sacrifice. I make sure my fridge is stocked with everything I need for each phase I am in at the moment, and so far, I really have yet to feel truly "hungry", because I feel like I am eating all the time. I have one more day on phase 1, and I am so psyched for Tuesday when I can enjoy a nice 4 oz piece of CHICKEN!!!!! I have never seen such great results so fast on any diet I have ever tried. Personally, I think it's worth a shot for anyone who is seriously ready to give it a go!
  • I am going to check this plan out. It sounds like it's a healthy whole foods diet that could easily be used by those who eat plant-based diets.
  • Hi anyeveryone
    I started the Fat Smash diet on Aug 26th and so far lost 8 lbs. This diet for me is easy to follow. It really helped me to eat beans everyday to curve my need for meats.
  • Tweeks
    Two things I am concerned about. The coffee and tea thing that others have written about on the boards. It does seem strange that you give them up only to be allowed them 9 days later. Also, if herb tea is OK, what about decaf coffee? I do know there is supposed to still be some caffeine in the decaf, but the book is so skimpy that it would be great to get some answers.

Also, this plan appealed to me because it is very plant based. I don't eat meat so will have to subsitute non meat items once the 9 days is up.

Also -- has anyone asked if soy yogurt fills the same requirement. Otherwise, this plan is so very close to what I was looking for that I am giving it a try.
  • The book says soy milk is ok, so I would imagine the same goes for soy yogurt
    Just guessing tho....
  • Ok today is the last day of phase I and I'm anxious about stepping on the scale tomorrow morning. I've actually enjoyed the Fat Smash diet so far and haven't missed the junk food one lick but I tend to react emotionally to what my scale says....
  • Could someone please tell me a little about this diet?
  • Go here for some Fat Smash Diet info: www.fatsmashdiet.com
  • There's no info on the fatsmashdiet.com site, just "philosophy" and ads - any clues as to what the diet entails? I know it's 4 phases and totals 90 days and that's it.
    Thank!
  • Hey LouLee...Congrats on making it through the toughest part!! Dont stress it's just a number! I am always on the scale and it drives me nuts. Well I didnt go to the bathroom yet, ok get back on..well my scale could be off...ok lets do the average of 3 weigh in's. Today I finally took the batteries out and I refuse to get back on for a full week.
  • Good for you Brandilynn! I didn't think to take the battery out. Great idea!
    Loulee
  • Quote: There's no info on the fatsmashdiet.com site, just "philosophy" and ads - any clues as to what the diet entails? I know it's 4 phases and totals 90 days and that's it.
    Thank!
    Basically, for 9 days you eat fruits, veggies, brown rice, yogurt, protein in the form of tofu, beans etc -- no meats, white potatoes, white rices, no fish. And only water. After 9 days, you reintroduce your body to some of the leaner fish and meats. Couple it with 30 mins of excerise in the frist phase and bump it up in Phase 2 (to make up for the higher caloric intake). Then you get into Phases 3 and 4. You really should read the book before starting though! I am NO expert!

I like the idea of this diet because, when I did South Beach, I went through sugar withdrawl and fruit withdrawl HARDCORE. I just got a new coffeemaker for the wedding so I am a bit bummed but in 9 days, I can use it for the first time!
  • I did the fat smashers diet phase 1 about a month ago and did better than I expected. I lost 8 lbs. I wasn't hungry and didn't crave snacks. My biggest thing was at night. So I saved a yogurt and had it at night. Also, If I wanted the crunch I ate raw carrots, cucumbers. That got me through. I started out on phase 2 well but fell off the wagon. So tomorrow I'll jump back on and this time I'll know that I can do it. It's a lifestyle change not a DIET!!!!!!!!!!
  • I did the Fat Smash diet for about two weeks and then came Thanksgiving... It worked very well, even though I didn't follow it to the letter. I'm starting again tommorrow.